Chase Bank / credit card payment cancellation

PO Box 15153, Wilmington, DE 19886, Hillview, KY, US Review updated:

On Friday, July 3, 2009, I logged into the Chase.com website to make a payment on my credit card. While I was there, I decided to set up a payment for July 9th for a 2nd card that was formally through Circuit City. After making the online payments and logging out of their website, I realized I had forgotten to change the date for the 2nd card to July 9th; so, I logged back in within about 10 minutes of making the payment. Their website has a feature that allows their customers to delete pending payments. I had never used the feature before. I checked and saw that my payments were still pending so I pressed the delete button for the card I needed to change the date on. It gave me an error message:
"We were unable to process your change. An error has occurred while processing your request. Please note the time and report this error to customer service. (6881)"

So... I followed the instructions and called Chase Bank customer service. I explained what had happened to the agent and he assured me that he could cancel the payment for me over the phone. I was relieved...until Monday, July 6th, when a check of my bank account showed that the payment had posted anyway. I called Chase bank customer service again. The customer service agent didn't know how to handle my situation, so she transferred me to another department that handles payments. The woman in that department said they could not cancel my payment, didn't know why the first customer service agent had told me that they could cancel the payment, and (here's the kicker) if I didn't like it, I was more than welcome to consult a lawyer. Unfortunately, at that point of the conversation, I screamed a couple of expletives at the rep and she hung up on me. So...now I had to deal with overdraft fees and overdraft protection fees of about $40 because the first customer service rep obviously didn't know how to do their job.

I've got some customer service experience under my belt and I was trained to work with the customer to the best of my ability. The last thing that I would have ever done to a customer would be to tell them to get a lawyer when it was obvious the mistake was made by one of my employees. If Chase Bank would like a good customer service representative to come work for them, they are more than welcome to contact me.

Jd

Comments

• La
      Mar 04, 2011

Contact the bank manager - hopefully they will find it in their heart along with good business practice to refund any/all monies. Let us know if this helps, as I feel like you that Chase is an unethical business!