Certegy Check Verification / wrongful decline of check

1 Texarkana, TX, United States Review updated:

I was in Bed, Bath, & Beyond today and tried to make a $5o purchase by check, but it was declined by Certegy check verification services. I did not understand because I had a large balance in my checking account. The Certegy rep told the clerk that I was a high risk and not to accept my check. The clerk then handed me a number to call the Certegy automated help line. The automated line said that I had a clear record of zero hot checks and that I was a high risk because I do not write enough checks. I write around 10 to 12 checks a month and use my debit card for everything else. I just don't go to many places that use Certegy apparently. I have been writing more checks this week because I have been waiting for a new debit card. I apparently cannot write a check at a store that uses Certegy. It was so embarrassing to have that happen in front of the other customers and I really don't think I can go to back to Bed, Bath, & Beyond again until they start using electronic draft.

Comments

28th of May, 2009

Certegy is the WORST. I too do not write many checks but have good credit and no bad check history. I tried to write a check today because I didnt have my debit card with me. Same thing, Certegy declined and I had to leave my stuff at the store with a promise to the manager that I would return. I called the company and they said there is no bad credit nor was there any indication of a bad check but that their computer system had detected certain "markers" of security risk inherent with my check, the specifics of which they could not explain to me. I could only assume they thought I wasnt the person who I said I was and was stealing someones identity. However, I and the manager at the store assured them I had proper ID and was not a risk. They STILL would not give the approval code so the manager (who couldnt believe how stupid and rude they were) put an override on the register and put my check through. I will be putting in a complaint to our state attorney general as this practice is completely unjustified and constitutes interference with business relations.

4th of Oct, 2010

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with this embarrassment provided by Certgey Check Service... I too had to leave my stuff behind because my check was refused. I dont write that many checks because i relied too much on debit card but it happened that my card had been compromised so the bank had to issue me a new card and in the meantime i have to rely on my checkbook to make purchases until my card arrives... The amount of the purchase was $54 and I can assure you I have at least 50 times as much in the account... I hope that businesses realize that Certegy is cutting in their business and not do business with it anymore...