Certegy Check Services / false claim that my check was dishonored

1 Billings, MT, United States Review updated:

During processing of my check to Cracker Barrel, Cracker Barrel's local bank processed the first two digits of routing number as a 2-8 instead of 2-9, so my check was never submitted to my bank for proper withdrawl of funds. Instead of checking into the matter, Cracker Barrel sent the check to Certegy to the Certegy Payment Recovery Services, Inc. for collections. Certegy has sent a threatening letter and made several "debt collection" calls, all threatening, in that I will never be able to open an accound nor cash a check unless I now pay them the orginal $20.67 plus their collection fee of $30.00 for a grand total of $50.67! I have sent them certified letters proving my innocence in this whole matter and went personally to Cracker Barrel's local bank and restaurant. Still waiting for the issue to be resolved!
My husband and I are getting the word out as best we can and are afraid to write a check, from an accound we have had since 1985! From now on, we use cash and no longer eat at Cracker Barrel -- we eat out a lot as both work long hours.

De

Comments

• De
      24th of Mar, 2009

I have contacted a local consumer complaint lawyer to after Certegy. If anyone else is interested please let me know. Thank you. Debbie debdilley at bresnan dot net

• Bd
      1st of Jul, 2009

I was at a Publix store here in GA and was denied check writing privileges from Certegy Check Services for something that happen 4yrs ago and I do remember paying that off and now they want me to pay again. I just hope I can find my paperwork after 4yrs. I write checks all the time here at other groceries stores with no problem. I think that legal actions should be brought against this company.