Centerpoint Energy / poor service!

1 Houston, TX, United States Review updated:

Came out to replace my meter. No problem just everyday meter change out program. No notice just changed it and left note to call to get gas turned back on. When I called they indicated that I must commit to stay at home all day for them to put me on the schedule. No time frame, no call before coming no service in any way.

Comments

4th of Apr, 2008

Don't you love a monopoly!!

When we were out of town last week, Centerpoint left a notice on our door saying that they had replaced our gas meter (with no prior warning) and that since no one was home they had left our gas turned off. This happened on Monday and we arrived home Thursday night after driving almost 700 miles that day. We found the notice and tried to call Centerpoint but since it was after 7 PM they were closed. My husband was rather irate with the thought of going to work early Friday with no hope of a hot shower. He left it to me to contact Centerpoint and get the gas turned back on and the pilot lights lit. I assured him that I would take care of it and promised it would be on when he returned from work on Friday. I will not go into all the details of numerous phone calls I made - starting at 8 am- except to say there were at least 5 and that each time I was assured that the gas would be on by 5 PM. The second call I made told me the only way I would not have service was that if no one over 18 was here when the service technician arrived and the last one told me that they even worked until 9 or 10 PM sometimes to finish all the work orders they had for that day.

My husband had told me to talk to a supervisor and so I tried. I asked for one in a call about 1 PM and was assured by Ms Evans that she could help me. She found my records and said a service man had been dispatched and would be here by 5 PM. I guess I am more naive than my husband because I believed her.

My husband tried his hand with Centerpoint when he arrived home about 4:30. After listening to all the recordings and pushing all the buttons he requested from a human to speak to a supervisor. He had probably been on the phone for at least 20 minutes at this point. He was on hold for OVER AN HOUR more to speak to a supervisor. When he had related the whole story he was finally told that there was nothing to be done at this point but that if his wife had persisted and talked to a supervisor in the afternoon that it could have been handled.

It is now 10:15 on Friday night and I assume we have no hope of hot water or heat until sometime Monday - if they deign to come then.

Don't you think that it would have made sense at the beginning of this mess to establish a time to replace the meter when the home owner (and customer, if that means anything) could be home so that service would not be interrupted?

I would also like to know why I am in the dog house here for believing what I was told a utility company customer service representative more than once. I guess I am an idiot. Anytime we need anything done we need to be very assertive and ask for a supervisor on the first phone call or forget it. If you are dealing with Centerpoint - good luck! Their customer service people are very well trained to keep you away from a supervisor with arguments and if that fails you might need to bring your lunch while you wait.