[Resolved] Carnival Cruise Lines / powerade zero in plastic bottles not allowed on board

5 Miami, FL, United States Review updated:

Dear Sirs:
My husband and I returned recently for a cruise on the Breeze, which left from Galveston, TX. Something occurred on the dock that was very frustrating for me and I would like to have an explanation.
I was not allowed to bring some bottles of Powerade Zero into the terminal building. The reason given by the supervisor there that Carnival was plastic free. He made a point of saying, “It is their rule, not ours, but we have to inforce it.”
When I explained that I dehydrate easily and brought that same on board on our last cruise, I was told that if I had a Dr’s note, it would be allowed. That was quite inconvenient as it was Sunday afternoon and we are from Montana.
Anyway, I had to dump my electrolyte replacement into the trash. Now, imagine my surprise when I was unpacking in the room and found that I had half of a plastic bottle of water in my carryon, which did go through the security check in the terminal. I had forgotten about this water.
Next surprise: At the muster gathering I spoke to a passenger who walked up to me with a plastic bottle of water in her hand. I asked how she got that on board and she told me that she didn’t bring it; it was ordered before boarding and delivered to her room.
Third surprise: A few days into the cruise, our room steward brought in two complimentary 1.5 liter plastic bottles of water.
By now you see my confusion. Obviously, Carnival is not plastic free. If this “rule” really exists, I respectfully request such in writing. If such is the case, I will bring a note from my physician if we take another cruise.
Desiring to go ashore for the stops which were 3 in a row and not get heat exhaustion, I didn’t spend much time on deck at all during the cruise. I also bought Gatorade on shore and had to drink it before re-boarding the ship. I survived the experience, though inconvenienced. Of course, I drink water all the time, but when I get dehydrated in my own state, it stands to reason that maintaining hydration in a hot, humid climate is a challenge which I tried to prepare for.
Thank you for your attention to this issue
Sincerely,
Genelle Sears

• Resolution statement

• Carnival Cruise Lines Customer Care's Response, Nov 17, 2016

Thank you for your inquiry. We’re sorry to hear that the wires got crossed when it came to our beverage policy this time.

We work hard to make complete, accurate information available to our guests, so there won’t be any unpleasant surprises. Our beverage policy is explained in our Frequently Asked Questions on Carnival.com, which all guests acknowledge reading, as part of their ticket contract. Nonetheless, I apologize that the policy wasn’t clear this time.

The policy reads, in part:

“Guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages onboard that are packaged in bottles.

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard on embarkation day and must be in the guest's carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.”

The complete details of the policy are available at: https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2633/kw/beverage

Again, I apologize that this cruise started out on such a sour note, and also that the security officer’s explanation of the policy wasn’t clear. The, rule refers to beverages in bottles passing through security at embarkation, not to the ship as a whole.

Thank you again for making us aware of what happened this time, and again I apologize for the negative effect it had on your cruise vacation.

Sincerely,

Guest Care Specialist
    Carnival Cruise Lines | 3655 NW 87th Avenue | Miami, FL 33178 |
    800-929-6400
    [protected]@carnival.com

Ge
Nov 16, 2016

Comments

• Wi
      17th of Nov, 2016

Policy sucks, but it is their job to enforce it. You can't take bottles of powerade of any kind into an airport.

• Po
      17th of Nov, 2016

You will want to contact Carnival Cruise Lines directly. They will most likely not see your review here.