Carnival Cruise Lines / deception

US Review updated:

We recently completed our 9th and probably last cruise with Carnival Cruise Lines. Just to let anybody know who doesn't already know, when you fill out your comment card and enter it into the drawing on the ship to win a cruise before you leave, if your name is called you don't REALLY win a cruise. What you do win is a piece of paper indicating you are a semi-finalist for a "monthly" drawing which takes place at the end of the month. Apparently, all the different Carnival ships' winners are entered into this drawing. My mother-in-law "won" this on our ship on our cruise in July, 2009. After she didn't hear anything, I contacted Carnival's customer service and have researched it further and that's the REAL STORY! I'm sure there's some "fine print" about this in Carnival's literature, or there's a "play on words", but until it happened to us, we had no idea that's what really happens! Just beware.

Comments

• Mi
      Sep 01, 2009

I just wanted to say that I worked for Carnival Cruise Lines as a Stateroom Stewardess. They say you can make so much and send it home, You don't have to pay for anything and you have so many days off and you see the world while you work. Its the best opportunity for young people ect ect. They tell you that you can earn a lot of money working for them. Then you go for the interview and get hired. Once you have paid your Medical, flight, visa, insurance and training fees. You leave your country and head over to the US.

Once you get onboard they take your passport. Then you do a further month of training onboad, when that is over you can start.

Now there is so much work that one person can not possibly do it alone therefor you are required to hire other staff from, lets say the kitchen or the boiler room or the laundry. I had to hire a morning helper for $180 a week and my evening helper cost me $150. Then if you need extra towels for your room you need to pay the laundry extra. If the guest takes the pool towel home or looses it somewhere onboard or elsewhere you pay $5o out of your pocket. I also had to pay the staff to tell me how many guests I will have the following week so I can start preparation and Carnival only pays their Stewards $75 per month. The rest you make from your tips, the little you have left from paying everybody else. And it so nice to make up 75 beds per session. I got up at 5 and went to bed at 11. 7 days a week for 6 months. Now I had 20 rooms to take care of. Each room can take up to 5 guests. Now imagine if all my rooms are full. I have to make a 100 beds in the morning and a 100 at night. And still vacuum the room and dust and pick up everybody's ### and dirty towels and condoms. And even used bloody menstruals pads. Can you believe it. And then the people don't even pay you. O don't forget the luggage I have to carry to my floor. 3500 guest have a lot of luggage and the stateroom stewards have to do the hauling up and down to get the cases.

I hated working there. First of all they were not honest in telling me exactly what I was getting myself into. If I knew what sort of Mafia business it was I would have told them to shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

Carnival cruise lines is evil. I feel so sorry for the people who stay there for years because they have families to take care of and would do anything. Today I suffer from chronic back pain from working for them. And the best part is I cant even sue them cause they are registered under Panama.

[censored] Them