Carmax / They sold me a lemon

I purchase a car that I had always wanted after my divorce. In addition, I am thankful that I purchased the extended warranty. However, my problems with my car soon began after about 5 months and my car has had multiple problems and been in the carmax shop more than 7 times for repairs. Electrical headlight/taillight issue, back window replace because of antenna, sun roof replace/the repair shop scratched up the roof when replacing and no one told me, washer tank replaced, leaks in the floor when it rains, multiple light indicators on the dash, other major repairs, and now the final draw, the car has been in the shop about 4 times for the same concern, the shift stick is popping and was told by the BMW repair shop that the transmission needed to be replaced. The warranty company has denied, the car is in the shop again for the same issue and I was advised by BMW that the warranty company is sending the rep out again to assess the recommended repairs. here's my assessment, the warranty company is waiting and hoping that the warranty will run out soon, I have another 20, 000 miles and then they would not be responsible for the charges. The car was taken to Carmax each time for repairs; they never walked to my car to go over the work that was actually done and would also point to where my car was parked for me to retrieve. Most of the time Carmax indicated they didn’t make the repair because they couldn't duplicate the issue, meaning the dashboard indicates did show up for them, upon getting my car back and driving home, it would do the same thing again...my assessment was they cleared the computer or reset it and it wouldn't show up until I drove it home. I have also called the consumer relation department with and was not pleased with their help either. In addition, I had to rent a car while my car was being repaired, costing me usually 300.00 each time (warranty company only pays for 7 days at 25 a day) Carmax never told me that if I took my car straight to the dealership that I would have received a loan at no charge. Carmax never indicated that I should take the car to the dealership directly. Carmax reps told me many unprofessional things, like the that worked on your car as since been fired, he didn’t know what he was doing. claimed to be a certified BMW mechanic. The reps were not professional and one was down right rude and told me I could not have a copy of all the paperwork for my repairs. I now tell everyone I know to never buy from carmax as they are the worst company to deal with when dealing with repairs. Once you buy the car, they never want to see you again and really their is a disconnect from the purchase to the repair department. I waiting for a manager for 30 minutes when I was upset, their attitudes are, we don't care... Garland, Texas location and employees.

Va

Comments

• Ed
      20th of Aug, 2008

I will never ever buy anything from Carmax again! I bought a Saab 9-3 aero, with several problems from the get go, and the ### claim nothing is wrong with the car. I just took it to the dealer for a check, and they found said problems. Now I have to go back to carmax tomorrow where I am sure to be met with the same BS. If they try to screw me over, I am going to the media and getting a good lawyer!

• Me
      7th of Oct, 2008

I just paid cash for a 2006 Dodge Caravan for my business. I drove it off the the lot on Friday and took my kids camping. On Monday the car would not start. I had to have it towed back to the dealership. They are giving me the runaround with the problem. The computer is not functioning. I am getting my money back. This happened within three days and I am thankful for your comments. Austin, Tx.

• Li
      24th of May, 2010

Buck - the term "lemons" typically only applies to new vehicles, and I'm not sure if any state offers lemon law coverage for a used vehicle. New vehicle lemon laws vary by state, but often contain language that the same problem must exist within a certain time or mileage limit, and can not be repaired. Unfortunately, you purchased a BMW and the reliability for European models is less than stellar - the reliability hierarchy is usually Asian (notwithstanding Toyota's current issues), Domestic, and lastly European. I used to use a site called alldata.com, which gave free access to each yr/make/model's particular service bulletins and recalls, and used that as a reliability barometer. Unfortunately, the site has now morphed into a paid service site to get any information, although I'm sure there are other places to get the same info for free.

Ed - if your car had several problems from the get go, you should have returned it within 5 days for a different vehicle like Melinda did. That's what the return policy is for.