Canadian Tires / Healthrider Elliptical Trainer / won't take back faulty brand new exercise machine!

Canada Review updated:

Days ago bought eliptical trainer-exercise machine on sale for $299. Took hours to assemble. Does not work right, theres no resistance when you crank the level up. Simply I put it straight in my truck on my own that day, quite heavy. Took it straight back. I did not disassemble it and try squish it back in the box. In fact I thought I might be doing them a favor and they can set it in the sporting goods dept. as a demo since they didn't have one of that model on demo so far! Well they won't take it back. They tell me to call the 1 888 number in the manual, where it actually tells you to call first. I asked for store manager and she came and backed up the girl in customer service without showing any interest in what I said or how long I owned it and never used it yet!

They tell me the manufacturers warranty will cover it... thats just fine I said, but its brand spanking new and defective, I do not wish to spend weeks waiting for techs to come and order parts and then come to install the wrong part and reorder other parts (you know how it goes). I said I simply want to exchange if I can not even return it for refund. No go. had it been tidily packaged up in the box would they have given me a refund? I could have said I never used it! I was just plainly honest about it.

They sent me to their pay phone to call the 1 888 number. Spent 1/2 hour waiting on hold. I am told by the manufacturer that I can have it repaired, or depending on the store they should refund me. I said and thats for certain, you DO NOT have to fix it. They said no, if the store I use will take it back then thats fine. I go to the customer service and then am asked what Return Authorization # did they give me?! I said that they should have told me to ask for that, since I had no clue and had not expected any numbers.

It was useless. I had to go home at this point and cool down. I phoned the 1 888 again, this time taking 45 minutes to get through. Got another lady, she said the same thing. Depending on store policy they should take it back, or I can have it repaired. I stressed that it was brand new never used and I do not wish to go through any repair ordeal for something I just put together. Anyway, she said theres no such thing as Return Authorization # that they use, they can't give me or Canadian Tire themself any such number. She did give me a case # and her name. She told me hate Canadian Tire people need to call them perhaps, they'll tell them for me, but theres no extension # and they have to use the 1 888 # too.
I had also emailed their online support line too, and they gave me the exact same answer! So I was satisfied theres no such thing and I should be able to return it.

By this time between me, myself and I we figured that the electronic magnet "resistance motor" was not making any adjustment noises like they do on all the other demos I have used. I explained this to everyone to show "willing" and that I just am not simply trying to return something I now decide I don't want for no reason.

I call Canadian Tire back from home to tell them theres no such thing as Return Authorization #s at this manufacturers. Now the girl tells me I need to talk to Sporting Goods manager, why now?!... too many people are getting involved, and I have to reiterate everything all over again. So I did. I gave her the case # because she said she has to call the company herself. So an hour later she calls back to say that the girl she got knew nothing about giving out Return Authorization #s, must be new, and transfered the Canadian Tire lady... got voice mail, so she left a message for someone to call her back with a Return Authorization number. So I tell her theres no such thing. No one obviously called back at all and I am still waiting, all part of the inevitable... that I think I will end up fixing it. Maybe it'll be Christmas before that happens.

We have been so mad about it all, anywhere else would simply even exchange it... not Canadian Tire.

Comments

Nt
  27th of Nov, 2007
I wrote the above complaint.

So here we are 2 weeks later with a brand new busted Eliptical machine from Canadian Tire still.

I have been at my wits end. No one from Canadian Tire or Icon, (manufacture of the Eliptical machine) are doing anything yet! I even asked Canadian Tire if they can have a tech look at it, and she was going to find out and never called back.

My wife called the manufacturer too, got mad, spoke to "The Manager" supposedly and he was going to look in to it and nothing happened. I have emailed them back with all previous emails attached still. I can't believe people are like this. Uncaring after taking a lot of money!

My wife phone Canadian Tires customer complaints line, spoke to several people trying to get escalated to someone who could try help. They all state that its "policy" to follow the manufacturers instructions. Yet we now say we are plain and simple not satisfied and wish to return it broken or not. No one called her back when they were going to look in to it. Two days ago she repeated the same thing and complained and the same thing and no one has called back again. We call people and seem to have to start over.

And low and behold, this is exactly what I said to Canadian Tire when they immediately first told me to call the manufacturer and I said I'll now spend weeks trying to get this thing fixed. They always say that it won't and usually within 48 hours, I heard them tell me that several times two weeks ago.
Ma
  7th of Dec, 2007
Here's what you should do... take the thing apart and put it back in the box. Go to another Canadian Tire location and just say you wish to return it. If they ask if anything is wrong with it, say no you just decided you didn't have the room for it. If it hasn't been over 90 days yet they should refund your money. Good Luck.

Canadian Tire Logo Canadian Tire