Best Buy / geek squad failure

1 Paramus, NJ, United States Review updated:

1. On February 5th I bought my computer to the Geek Squad at Best Buy in Paramus, NJ. I know it had a blue screen error and wanted to extract the pictures & documents from it. With all I have ever heard about blue screen errors, I figured I would need an expert to help me.
2. I explained the situation to the technician at the counter who plugged my computer and he witnessed the blue screen error.
3. He told me it would cost $99.99 to do what they called a back up/transfer. I agreed and he gave me forms; on one I wrote exactly which files I would like to recover. I wrote: All Pictures & documents (excel&word) When I told him all pictures, he also wrote on the form: jpeg, pdf, palm
4. He never said there was a possibility of no recovery.
5. I paid $99.99 cash and was told I would receive a phone call in 1-2 days when it was complete
6. I received a message on approx. February 8th and went to pick up the computer on the 11th
7. When they bought out my computer I was informed that they were unable to perform the service I purchased and that they would be able to escalate the recovery to level 2 but that could cost anywhere from $500 - $1000.
8. I told them no thank you & also asked for a refund because they were not able to perform the service I purchased.
9. At that time I was told that there was a “tech fee” involved and that I would receive the balance. I asked how much this “tech fee” was and he said he was going to discuss it with his manager.
10. After going to the back and speaking with his manager he told me that it’s usually $70.00 but because of the circumstances he was only going to charge me $60.00
11. At this point I asked him where on the contract that I signed does it say that if the service I purchased could not be accomplished, that I would be charged a “tech fee”.
12. He told me it wasn’t on the contract so I told him to ask his manager about it.
13. When he came out again he showed me a line on the contract that was very vague and not applicable to my situation. I did not leave a deposit; I paid for a service that they could not provide.
14. I asked if I could speak to the manager myself.
15. The manager of the Geed Squad, Richard came out, told me he did the best he could by taking $10.00 off and told me if I had further issues, to contact corporate.
16. I had them process my $40.01 refund and left.
17. I immediately went and called the 800 customer service number and spoke with a rep. I explained to her the situation and she put the same manager on the phone from Paramus.
18. We ran around the same block & he told me that “a technician spent HOURS trying to recover the data” I said, “how many hours?” He told me, approx. 48, this was with the customer care rep on the phone. So they need to recoup fees for that time spent.
19. I saw I was getting nowhere with the conversation so I ended it with no resolve.
20. I decided to do my own research. I am by no means a computer expert, but I do have a limited understanding of how they work.
21. On February 12th, after reading a couple of blogs I came across an article which referred me to a website: prosoft engineering which could supply me with free demo software to see if the drive was recoverable
22. I followed the instructions by disconnecting the burnt drive, and installing it as a secondary hard drive, to a working computer I have.
23. I downloaded the demo but had difficulty making it work. I called prosoft engineering for their assistance and they sent a link to my email that worked.
24. After installing their demo and running it through the burnt drive, I discovered that I was able to retrieve all my files, myself, for free; from the drive that the experts said had “no data”.

· If this has happened to me, whom else has it happened to?
· I believe that I should be compensated for the rest of my “tech fee” and some

Comments

• Na
      24th of Aug, 2010

People like you disgust me. You think the time and effort of another person has no value. I bet if you worked on something for a long time, but yielded no results, you would expect to be compensated regardless (and don't confuse yourself). I agree that it should have been more easily noted in the disclaimer, but don't cry about it when it's not.