Best Buy / misleading no interest plans

1 Greenville, SC, United States Review updated:

I opened a Best Buy 18-month same as cash account in 02/2007 and made a purchase of a Bose System for my husband that was around $1000 plus tax. I made payment over the monthly amount each month and made another purchase later on this same account. I kept paying over the minimum payment each month and when the balance came due for the initial Bose purchased, I paid what appeared to be the balance due on that account. Because I pay my bills electronically, I failed to keep that specific bill to prove that specific balance and due date. This I have come to deeply regret.

When reviewing a later bill I noticed my balance had increased substantially and noticed that I had been charged all the deferred interest from this payment. When I called Retail Services, I was told that I did not in fact pay the balance in full on time and that was the reason for the charge. When I questioned the Customer Service person, who of course is in India, she repeated the same info over and over. I then requested a detailed printout of my billing statement and how all payments and charges were applied since the opening of my account. After placing me on hold multiple times she stated that they could only go back 6 months on the billing. When I pushed a little further she put me on hold again and then stated that I would receive my request shortly in the mail. I have never received this and it has been 4-5 months.

To avoid this again, I called Retail Services again when noticing another same as cash account was coming due on 05/24/2009 and the balance was $293.47. I called to assure myself that if I sent the balance in full or sent an extra payment (over the required min. payment) it, $85 was alotted to the regular balance and $15.00 to the same as cash account that was expiring 05/24/2009. How convenient! They chose to apply not to the one where I will soon be charged $50 finance charges, but to the regular revolving account. That is exactly what I believe happened to the payment I sent to pay off the last SAME AS CASH account back in 2008. If I had not called to request them to change the way the payment was applied, I may have been subject to this deception as before. I requested again tomight that a financial statement be supplied to me to show how these payments were applied each month and once again was told to just look at the billing each month to see the balance. This is ridulous. I will continue to call after each payment is made to assure that it is applied properly until this account is paid in full.

I have learned my lesson and once this account is paid in full, I will never deal with company or even Best Buy again. I believe this is fraudulent behavior and should be prosecuted and will pursue a possible class action suit against both Retail Services and Best Buy.

Comments

• Ra
      18th of Mar, 2009

I had the exact same thing happen to me, only to be hit with a $1195 finance charge on an item that should have been paid off months in advance. What they fail to disclose is everytime you use your card, it starts a new promotion and they do decide how the payments are split. This deceptive practice probably makes this company millions of dollars each year at the expense of responsible consumers. In order to direct your payments, they require you to call in each time, how convenient.