Best Buy / horrible customer service!

I think this email to Best Buy explains it best:

To whom it may concern,

Let me first tell you that I freelance as a computer tech, and do data backup for my clients. This leads me to need at least 20 external hard drives a month. In the past I would get them off the Internet, J&R Music World, or B&H Photo.

About a month ago I noticed a good sale price on the WD 500GB My Book external drive on BestBuy.com. I decided to give the Best Buy on 86th and Lex. (store #835) a shot at my business.

What I was met with when I got there was EXCELLENT! The Department manager of the computer accessories department (I believe his name was Brian) and has team were GREAT! They were very busy, but were able to accommodate my needs in a timely fashion. I decided to look into your price guarantee so that I could continue to buy my hard drive from Best Buy on 86th (based on Brian and his teams performance). I continued to buy my drives there, Brian would great me with a smile (remembered my business) and his team and him took great care of me.

Now that leaves us with today. I came into the 86th st. store at approximately 6:45pm, and proceeded to grab a couple more WD 500GB My Book external drives. I found one of the salesmen that I have dealt with before, and told him of my price match (JR Music World Product Link: http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4107282 ) and he instructed me to the Check Out counter. I was told by the sales representative that the cashier would be able to change the price for me, and that if I had any problems to have them page Brian. This seemed like normal procedure, since the last time I was there my price was changed the same exact way. I was brought to the normal check out counter, where the salesmen told the cashier of my price match, and she proceeded to call someone to override the price and I was on my way. As I waited for the manager to over ride the price, she pleasantly asked me if I'd like to sign up for the Rewards Card, which I did. A complete and total different situation was experienced today.

Today... I get to the front of the check out counter, I then explained the situation, where the price match was from, and the conversation I had with the salesmen in Computer Accessories. She then alerted a young women on her cell phone that was standing a few feet away from her. As I would find out later this young lady was your store operations manager Atia. Atia told me that she was unable to change the price from the Check Out counter and that I would need to go to the Customer Service counter. Being as I was just in the store 3 days earlier buying another 3 hard drive and had the price changed at that very p.o.p. kiosk. I was a little confused as to why I now had to wait on the long Customer Service counter line (I had already waited on the 10 minute Check out line, at the salesman's request) to do what had been done for me at the Customer Service counter 3 days earlier. I have worked in retail on and off for over 15 years, and was just recently working as a department manager of a electronic retail store... I KNOW that that a manager such as Atia has the approval right to change such a price. I ask Atia if she would accompany me to the Customer Service counter, so that I don't wait on the line again just to have the same kind of issue I had at the Check Out line. She said, that she will not accompany me and that she can't do anything... "I MUST go to the Customer Service counter". I ask Atia if she would page Brian for me, she informed me that it was Brian's day off. I then asked to speak to a manager, she informed me that she was in fact a manager. I then asked her if I could speak to the SALES or STORE manager, she told me that she WAS the sales manager / store manager (I found out later that she was the operations manager, and that Adam and Moreen were the actual Sales Management team) I ask Atia if she had a business card, she refused. I asked for the cooperate phone number, she gave me the 888-bestbuy number. None of this built any trust that I wasn't just heading off to the Customer Service line for another hassle.

Be that as it may... I gave in and walked to the Customer Service counter, I proceeded to wait another 10 minutes to get to the service representative. She asked me for a print out of the price from JR Music, I explained that I had already been told that I could have the price by my sales representative, and sent to the service counter by Atia to get the price. She then explained that with no print out, she would not give me the price... then asked me to "step aside". I then ask the customer service representative if she could use one of the many Internet terminals that were behind her to validate the price, her reply was simply no. I asked if she could call JR Music world to validate the price, her response was again no. I then (getting rather frustrated by the situation) asked her to page Atia. She complied, moments later Atia arrives... I continue my discussion with her from before and asked why if she was the one who is needed to change the price, did I have to wait on two lines to do so. She tells me to "stop getting upset, your getting your price!" as though she was very upset about it, and she was doing me a favor by honoring your posted price guarantee. I'm my retail past it was very important to myself and my company that the customer feels as though you are nothing but happy to match a competitors price. As my reward card and credit card were processed, Atia and the customer service lady whispered between each other... and would seem to be having a negative conversation at my expense. I told Atia that I would be contacting corporate and that I was very disappointed with my shopping experience... she replied in a rather hostile way "Go ahead! Have a great day sir!"

To make a long story, longer... although I have had good experiences at your 86th st. location in the past, I'm not sure if (do to the circumstances) I can or will continue to shop there, or with the Best Buy company in general. It would have been disappointing enough for me to have had an experience such as this with a salesman or cashier, but with an upper management employee such as Atia to respond and conduct business in that matter with an obvious return customer such as myself (or with anyone for that matter) is very disappointing to say the least.

I then spent over an hour of the evening on the phone with a telephone customer service representative, with equally.. if not worse results. The phone call went like this, it started with a 30 minute wait to speak to a customer service representative by the name of Effe. I calmly explained the situation to Effe, and she told me that she was going to call the store to get Atia’s side of the story. I was then put on hold for another 20 minutes (these are not exaggerations, I would ask you to check the call log… and complaint recording for better reference) as Effe discussed the matter with Atia. When Effe returned her response was nothing short of offending. She proceeded to ask me “Did you eventually get the price match you were looking for?” I answered “Yes, of course… I just explained that to you” She replied “Well (laughs).. then what’s your problem?” I then explained to Effe that this was not an issue over the $40 discount on the drive, but an issue of the way I was treated, and the manner and time in which it took to get my Best Buy Price Guarantee honored. At the end of our phone conversation I told Effe that I do not feel that the situation had been resolved by her, and I would like to continue the conversation with a member of the regional management team, or someone from the corporate office.

A matter such as this should not be taken lightly, as if I can have an experience like this... one must wonder who else has this sort of experience. Unlike myself, I would assume that many do not have that patience to wait the 30 minutes it took for me to speak to someone in your complaint department, or to write an email such as this.

I hope that this letter winds up in the correct hands, as for if I don't get a response from a Best Buy representative that understand my concerns, is thankful for my continues business, and who can offer a resolution to this matter... I don't believe I will shop with your company an further.

Thank you in advance for your time, and quick reply,

- A.Y.

Comments

• So
      9th of Oct, 2010

Agree. Just had a bad experience. I live in a rural area and went about 100 miles to buy a computer. They told me they had to keep it 24 t0 48 hours to "program" it and load the Office on it that I purchased. Went back, 100 miles, 2 days later. Took it home and it would not work. Called the Geeks since I had been charge $19.99 for that privilege. I was told to take it back in for repair. Now, it's only 1 day old. Took it to another store, which is about 15 minutes closer. They said they fixed it and that the other store did not install my Office. They installed it. Got it home and it still did not work. After about ten minutes it would put the monitor to sleep and would not wake up. Called the Geeks again, was told to take it in. Took it back to the original store and wanted a refund, which took forever, and I will not go into all the details of that experience. Got it. Went back to the closer store to buy another one. They told me it would be ready in 2 hours. Went back. They said it wasn't ready, they were having issues with it and they may have to give me a new one. I hadn't even taken this one home yet. Had to make another trip the next day to pick it up. It works so far. Not an experience that warrants another visit there.
    These are stores in Franklin, Tennessee and Jackson, Tennessee, in case someone is reading these things that might care about these comments.

• Ir
      14th of Oct, 2010
    Best Buy - Terrible customer service
    Best Buy

We purchased a laptop computer along with their extended warranty. After 6 months the computer had a catastrophic failure. They tried to replace it with a cheaper model because the model we purchased was no longer available. After arguing for an hour we got at least an equal model. 6 months later that computer failed. We took it back to the famous geek squad. After 4 weeks we called in to check the progress. They lost the computer! Two weeks later they called and said the computer was ready to pick up. We picked up the computer and the operating system was wiped clean. We asked to have the operating system reinstalled. The geek squad refused unless we paid an additional $150 for a new copy of windows. We argued for three hours and refused to pay. They told us to go to the manufacturer or get the original disks. So much for their warranty???? Best Buy does not give the original disks with the computers anymore! I will never buy a thing from this store. Their business model stinks! Their Geek Squad is a joke! Their Customer Service is non-existent!

• Ed
      18th of Nov, 2010

The people that come one this website and rant make a good laugh for myself and for fellow employees while we are working! I think most of the people on here cause 99 percent of the problems they have, either because of their attitude and/or hostility! Grow up people! All of you act like little kids whining because things didn't go exactly your way...THAT'S LIFE!! The people that get the best customer service are the people who are nice and treat us like people, with feelings, and not like "robots" that are here to serve your every need!!

Also, another thing...do your homework before you buy expensive items that way when something does happen and you decided not to buy our "crappy warranty" you can't blame anyone but yourself. Also, policies are in place to keep our business running! No we can't return your defective tv without a warranty that you purchased 2 years ago, no we can't return/exchange broken items that you claim "came out of the box that way" when you purchased said broken item 6 months ago! If it really was broken out of the box why didn't you bring it back within a few days?? Or even within the return/exchange policy!!

I'm sooo tired of hearing people complain when it's mostly because of their stupidity! Learn to be nice, polite, and read all of our policies and there wouldn't have to be a site like this one!

• Te
      6th of Mar, 2011

I just bough a cannon camera 2 days ago and had great service . We went in tonight to get my daughter a camera and had a ba experience.I had questions about the camera we we where looking for and none where in stock.Having 13 year old girlknows what she wants and rep was not interested and said the camera we wanted and walked away.We stood there another 10 minutes nd a rep directed us to someone that could answer our questions.The problem is that the first rep didnt really seem to mind if we walked out .We go to best buy for all our electronic purchases and feel reps should be knowledged and courtious.I i have noticed the more i purchase there the less help i get.I have worked in custermor service for years and feel like im doing your working staff im doing them a favor.What would be nice if is that you get a thank you when you spend money when you check out.

• Na
      30th of Mar, 2011

Military Members Beware

I bought an I Phone in 2009 and had issues with it less then a year later. I was deploying to Afghanistan and thought it was a perfect time to get it sent in for repair. My husband took in the phone and picked up a refurbished one in the same month. It of course was not activated until I returned a year later when I returned. Three days after reactivating my service the phone stopped working. I returned to Best Buy and was told that because it was not returned within 30 days of receiving it there was nothing they could do. It did not matter that I was deployed and it was not activated until now. I spent all day at the store and on the phone to corporate. The store told me there was nothing they could do and corporate told me the store could replace my phone but they could not make them. So basically the store does not care about Military service members and the unique circumstances that are presented with their deployment service. I warn all Military members against purchasing anything from Best Buy.

24th of Sep, 2011

I agree the BestBuy customer service is horrible and they are all liers. I bought a new laptop online last week, and when the laptop came the battery is damaged. It won't charge. So I called 800 customer number to try to get a new battery. First time I waited on line for about 30 minutes to get someone to resolve my issue, and then she put me in waiting for about 30 minutes before she came back and say they will ship me a replacement battery within 24 hours and give me an email. I thought it is fine as long as I got a replacement battery. However after 1 week I got no email, no battery, nothing. So I called in back again to check whether they have shipped out my battery yet. This time it cost me more than 2 hours. First no one seams to find my case and they kicked me around all departments like they are all trying to get rid of me, instead of solving my problem. Finally there comes a lady say that she found my case and will ship me a battery ASAP and give me an email when they shipped it. This time I seriously doubt about it. I don't believe they are going to ship anything to me, and they will never going to get me a replacement battery. But what can I do, they said they will. I hanged up. I know they will not send me a battery, but it seams like I can do nothing about it.

Don't buy anything from Best Buy (Worst Service) ever. Run as far as you can.

• Ge
      17th of Oct, 2012

What you needed was Tech support, not geek squad protection. geek squad protection covers hardware problems, drops, spills, accidental damages, and parts. it doesnt cover reinstalling the operating systems, or any software issues. and its not only best buy that stopped giving you the OS disc, its the manufactor. they dont open the boxs at all before they get into the consumers hand. They arent going to buy OS software and install it for free, when you got coverage for hardware. that doesnt make any sense.

• Ka
      26th of Feb, 2016

I drove 1.5 hours to the Burlington, Wa. best buy store to complain about my new Vizeo tv. The sales reps. are all male, unhelpful & rude. The rep. refused to work with me, and told me I was 2 days over the return date and then walked away. I then called best buy headquarters in Ohio. The rep. was nice, but told me to call Vizeo. I did. The rep. at Vizeo made a feeble incomplete attempt to correct the problem over the phone, he then told me to drive another 3 hour round trip to bring the tv back in to best buy for diagnostics. This rep. did not bother to tell me that Vizeo has a 1 year warranty. I called best buy back the next day and asked for a supervisor, and She was wonderful. And even tho best buy won't do anything after 15 days (incl. shipping days), she informed me about the vizeo 1 year warranty. The supervisor then contacted vizeo for me first, then put me through to someone who knew what She was talking about. She walked me through the process over the phone and corrected the problem in 5 minutes. The two days of phone calls totaled over 2 full hours of waiting on the line, and being forced to listen to blaring static music in the background. I have been in the Burlington, Wa store before and have always been treated with disregard, disrespect, and no product knowledge. The are all male.
    I will never go in to another best buy store at any location, and will certainly never buy anything on line from them again. I will also use every opportunity to tell anyone I know to go anywhere but "best buy". It has been a nightmare.

• Va
      3rd of Jun, 2016
    Best Buy - It is bo good
    Best Buy
    www.bestbuy.com

Best Buy knowingly sells this troubled brand, and when the LCD Main Board goes out 3 months after the Warranty is up, and Costs 450 dollars to Repair, They offer you nothing but a hassle. "Why Didn't You buy an extended warranty?" My 27 «Insignia lasted barely over the one Year, now it is trash, at least I know why they started a recycling program. I will never walk into their store again. Everything that is supposed to be black on the TV turned a bright Green, very annoying, The repair tech said this is common, that’s why when I went back to their Maple Grove Store to tell them about this calmly, they offered 10 % off a new Samsung, which is over 600, then they want money for an extended service plan, Screw it I'm still tapped from the TV I bought a Year ago, and why would I give them any more Business?

• La
      3rd of Jun, 2016

you are an idiot... best buy isn't responsible if you don't buy their warrenty... if its a 1 year warrenty and it expired, and the TV dies, you have to talk to manufacturer, not best buy... its their fault, not best buy

• Bu
      3rd of Jul, 2016
    Best Buy Here Pay Here - rip off here
    Best Buy/Pay Here
    Missouri

If you have BAD BAD credit don't shop here. Purchased a vehicle last summer, and have had NOTHING but TROUBLE with it. still needs work but who can afford the labor rates, Who do you trust? Senior citizens and people with bad credit beware.