Best Buy / credit (household bank)

In 2003, I purchased a computer from Best Buy for a total of around $1, 100 on their "no payments for 12 months" plan. I made regular payments which got the price down to $600 when I lost my job and missed one payment. They demanded everything up front, and of course there was no way that I could pay the full amount, so they (Household Bank) began to add ridiculous fees and interest adding up to about $50 per month. I could do nothing by this time, since they would accept nothing less than the total amount. By the time the total of my bill reached $2, 200 (remember, this was originally $600), they turned it over to creditors, who were willing to make a settlement of $900. I arranged a repayment plan with the creditors, but Best Buy demanded that they extract a payment sooner than my arrangement would allow.

In short, DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER applying for credit with Best Buy, unless you are willing to gamble with your good credit rating. Their credit department is a predatory and vindictive organization that is little better than a legalize mafia.

Ru

Comments

• Ge
      19th of Feb, 2009

The HSBC bank who handles best buys credit cards are the devil. However, any no interest period at best buy, is the same exact at every other store. If you don't pay the entire balance by the end date, you owe all the interest that would have accrued. If you are late on a payments, same thing. It doesn't matter if you are late paying $ .10 they will charge all the interest. This is the same for every single store out there. However something should be mentioned regarding inconsistencies in the charges. HSBC loves to throw extra fees on their bills, that they say they are not going to charge you. I had HSBC remove charges, only to find they put them back on the next months bill. So I call again, "oh sorry sir, we'll take care of that for you right away". Next month... back on the bill. This went on for five months, so I didn't pay a dime. They sent to collections, and it only got harder to justify my unwillingness to pay. Six collections agencies and 1 lawyer later, i finally declared I will not pay any of this bill and the collection agency finally took it as a loss, and i got a $700 oven for free.