BB&T / deposits as debits

I am flat out furious after being declined with my debit card for the first time in my life. About two weeks ago I switched to BB&T due to them being the closest bank within driving distance. Everything has gone great so far. At least until now. Due to the bank change, my most recent paycheck was a live copy instead of direct deposit. While I have never done this before, I deposited it in an ATM this past Saturday. I knew full well it would probably not clear until Monday or at the latest Tuesday. That is not an issue, and I see nothing wrong with that. My account as of now should have over $600 in it. I stop by a 7-11 tonight in order to purchase a Slurpee, yes, just a Slurpee. I get declined. I try credit and get declined. I am humiliated. Again, I have never been faced with this before. I immediately log on and see my account now is showing a -$350 balance. I nearly fainted. I immediately researched the issue, and shockingly it appears my deposit is showing as ATM Deposit Hold - Debit. Excuse me?

That's right, my deposit was instead debited from my account, and I am now in the negative. Calling customer service did nothing because it was after midnight, and they do not get in until 6:00am. I have no issue with them holding a deposit from an ATM, but I see no reason whatsoever to debit it instead. My $600 that was there before I even put the deposit in is now gone.

After doing some research, it appears others have had this issue, and this, I gather, is how BB&T does business. After I get this straightened out first thing in the morning, I will be taking my business elsewhere - after only two weeks. There is no excuse or reason they can give me that I can even imagine would change my mind. It's a shame, too. The people at my branch were exceptionally friendly, even got a hand written letter thanking me for banking with them. Everything went just fine, and now this. They've lost a customer.

Comments

14th of Apr, 2011

BB&T Banks are a joke and they are all crooked. You better get your money and run from BB&T. My issue is a lot more involved than yours. One women help my son steal my mothers cd that was in her will to be divided 3 ways. Well my son with this crook took my inhertiance. I'm not finished with this matter. My mother is not here to defend herself. I will do all I can to get her job...