Barnes & Noble / membership

Recently, I purchased a barnes noble membership ($25/year) and received the card about two weeks ago. Then after it happen, I experienced a series of stupidity and foolishness made by this big bookstore chain. First, I could not get my membership number to work. I can't register the number to the online profile, nor can I use it for online purchase in their website. I constantly get this stupid message: "your membership number is already assign for another account. Please re-check your number again. " I got this message both when I try to register the profile and when I went to the "payment" box when I was about to pay for my purchase. Needless to say, it is quite useless to pay $25.

I tried to call the toll free customer service and I did manage to talk with them. The only good thing out of all this mess is the fact that I didn't wait long until an agent answer my call. But all other things are just none sense. The agents were not able to fix the problem because in their system, they cannot see any problem, at least that's what they said. I tried to communicate via e-mail to the membership dept and another stupidity happened. I was asked to give names and membership # etc. After I gave it, there was no certain solution that was given. Hence, after I had a series of long e-mail conversations I tried to reply one of the e-mails and guess what?
One agent replied to that e-mail asking me to give my names and membership # again!!! As if it was the first time I e-mailed them.

I strongly suggest everyone not to consider being a member of barnes noble. You don't have to pay $25 and get all that mess I got.

Sa

Comments

21st of Mar, 2010

Terri Pucin, Vice President of Customer Experience for B&N.. try contacting her through the switchboard main number 212-633-3300. Good luck although I recall her being the biggest ### in the world and she is supposed to lead the entire company's customer experience but she is absolutely a horrible wench which tells a lot for the company if the person at the top is completely rude.. Sandeep Varma is the corporate head of Loyalty and rewards, follow up with him..

• Sn
      14th of Jul, 2011

Don't buy a membership from B&N unless you spend a LOT of money on books VERY fast.

I have never gotten one for the simple reason that, when you spend $25 for the card, you don't actually see a savings until you've made that money back in discounts. You have to have spent $250 worth of merchandise, which in 10% discounts makes up the $25 you spent on the card. AFTER that time is when you actually start to get a savings, so, for example, if it takes you 6 months to make back your $25, you've only gotten half a year's worth of discounts, NOT a full year. Is $25 for a 6-month membership worth it? I think not.

They will never tell you this when they give their shpiel, only persuade you to sign up because they say you can "immediately" get a discount. But, until you've made that $25 back, all you're getting is reimbursed in discounts for what you spent on the card. For someone who buys books heavily, it may turn out to be a good deal for them. But, for folks like me who don't spend a lot at B&N except on the occasional magazine, it's a ripoff. Save your money, and sign up for the e-mail coupons, which don't cost you a penny.

Not everything is eligible for the coupons (apparently not magazines), but you still may find it to be a better deal than spending $25 for the "privilege" of getting a "discount" from them.

• Ci
      4th of May, 2013

I'm very upset at b&n. I signed up for their kids club card and I've had it for a while and I always make sure I use it everytime I purchase a book for my son. Well today I went into the store and the employee who swiped it informed me that my card/ membership doesn't exist and the card is not even working. How could this be possible? She told me to re-fill out a new form. I asked what happened to the points I had supposedly earned from all the purchases I've made and she said if have to start all over again. I was so angry finally asked for a manager and so he says he fixed it but when I check online nothing seems fixed the hundreds of dollars I've spent haven't been accounted for on my card it's still showing that I've spent zero dollars at the store. Never going back to this book store again what a rip off!!!