Barnes & Noble Booksellers Logo

Barnes & Noble Booksellers

Having problems with Barnes & Noble Booksellers?

1800 843 2665 (Customer Service)
+1 201 559 3882 (Customer Service)
+1 866 238 7323 (Membership)
+1 800 962 6177 (General Inquiries)
+1 646 760 3992 (Text Only)
122 Fifth Avenue
Sat9:00 AM - 11:00 PM
Sun9:00 AM - 11:00 PM

Complaints & Reviews

shipped me a & new & book that looks used

I bought a textbook online because they had a promotion where you buy a new textbook and you get member's price as well as free 1 day shipping. Well I just received the book in the mail today (4 days after I ordered it, by the way) and seriously.. I think they shrink wrapped a used book and sent it to me because the back cover and the spine are all scuffed up and dirty UNDER the shrink wrap. There's not even any tears in the shrink wrap or anything. Plus the pages inside are faded. This has to be a scam... sure the front cover looks fine and dandy, but there is no way this book is new... Yet I paid the new price. And now I can't return/exchange it because I need it for class. I really want to call and complain, but from what I've heard, the customer service is atrocious.. It would probably just piss me off more... Thanks for ripping me off Barnes and Noble!

Anonymous Mar 29, 2010

Why the ### would you care? Is it really that big of a deal? Used clothing I can understand... but a textbook? Just buy an *actual* used one next time and save yourself the money.

It's probably a printing error. Not BN's fault.

terrible company

I went to my local Barnes and Noble book store to return a gift. Granted, I did not have a receipt, but they do carry the book i was given as a gift, so I expected to receive a store credit. They would get back the cost of my gift in another purchase, obviously. The manager absolutely refused to give me a store credit and lied to me, saying they did not carry the book in question. I know this was a lie, because I had checked B & N Online first before going to the store.

• Gr
    Gryph0n Aug 19, 2009

Dear Adolf,

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience, but it's possible that both you and the store manager were both right and wrong at the same time. In the bargain section of the store are books called "remainders". These books usually have a barcode on a sticker that is on the front of the book. If you received the book as a gift, it's possible that your friend or relative removed the cheaper bargain sticker from the book before they gave it to you.

This is important because the bargain product number is different from the product number for a new hardcover book. If the store manager flipped the book over and entered the product number for the new hardcover, the computer would have noted that the book is out of print, and might not have been sold from that store for several years. If you looked the book up online, the chances are that you probably looked it up by its title, not by the product number. The book that you saw online might have been a paperback version of the same book, or a bargain version.

Secondly, as for a return without a receipt, the store manager is not allowed to do that. It wasn't a decision made by the store manager, it is a company-wide policy that any returns must be in saleable condition, within fourteen days of purchase, and must be accompanied by a receipt. It would have been helpful if your friend or relative had asked for a gift receipt when they purchased the book for you.

Whenever something out of the ordinary happens at a cash register, the computer automatically sends what is called an "exception report" to the store's district manager and loss prevention officer. This report tells the district manager the names of the cashier and the manager who were involved in the transaction.

I know that many customers feel that exceptions should be made in their case, but employees have been terminated for little things like accepting returns without receipts. Retailers call this "internal theft" and in this economy, try getting another retail job after having been fired from your last position for stealing from your employer.

• Fr
    FrankV Oct 02, 2009

gryphon is exactly right. Im sorry you didn't like your gift. But imagine if policy allowed you to get credit for a book without a receipt. You could just walk into the store, pick a book off the shelf, walk to the registers and return it for store credit. This is why ALL returns and exchanges at Barnes & Noble must be accompanied by a receipt.

• Pj
    pjm3dashion Dec 30, 2010

We had a similar experience, trying to return a game purchased @ the store. We knew it was purchased there, it was not opened. It had their price sticker. We simply wanted store credit. We did not have a gift receipt. We did not know the policy. We were treated like shoplifters. It was awful. I have spent a 20+ year career in fashion design, merchandising and retail. I hope this is NOT the future of the industry. I will take my business else where!!!

Jackers2722 Jan 04, 2011

Bring in a receipt next time! Plain and simple!

Unsubscribe button

Beware that once u allow BORDERS BOOKS to send u emails (about price reductions, specials etc.) and it soon becomes a twice a day affair so u have literally enough of it and decide to unsubscribe... u'll be unhappily surprised that their UNSUBSCRIBE BUTTON doesn't function. Do u know of any other spammers who use this trick?

• Co
    CosmicEsperanto Sep 02, 2009

That is entirely untrue, in fact. I get about two emails a week, promoting special deals and sales and offering useful coupons. If you sign up for Borders Rewards Perks, which you would know because it requires extra steps, then you would get a few more 'perks' a week. I opted not to do this. The whole thing is rather easy.

Haven't tried unsubscribing, but based on your spelling and general misinformation about Borders, I can only guess that you were doing it wrong.

(BTW I haven't had 'literally enough of it'. I literally enjoy books! )

• Sj
    Sjay20 Sep 25, 2009

The most you would get would be 3 a week 1) coupon 2) speacial offers 3) Borders rewards perks. And the button works just fine. maybe your computer was not working?

• 80
    80ist Oct 16, 2009

Usually i do not bother with idiot comments like this: the subject was UNSUBSCRIBE, helloooo! Then (s)he goes on about spelling errors which i do not have but (s)he does, hellooooo again ! Maybe ur brain is not working.

• Zb
    zBoB Oct 31, 2009

There is no unsubscribe button in the email they sent me. Or at least it's cleverly hidden. I'm livid. How is that not illegal.

• Su
    suzannecohen Dec 03, 2009

To unsubscribe, you may do so yourself on their website or shoot an email to customer service.

• Ra
    Raven S Jun 21, 2010

I visited the Borders store, which is located on 6103 North Lincoln Avenue, Chicago.
    The environment of the store is very unwellcomming, and the cashiers are very rude. I have been to this store before, and I have been having the same impression too. The manager, who worked on Sunday, was very polite and helpful. He is a male. However, there is a female working during the week in the evening who seems to be looking for a guy. As many times I go there with my boyfriend, she is trying to seduce him. She keeps passing by him on purpose, smiling at him, giving him the eye and bending at him as some easy girl. I have been told the same information by other girls going there with their boyfriends. In addition, she is using her power in her premises in order to make two people break up. I had a coupon for 40 percent. She didn't accept it. She kept attempting to seduce my boyfriend by thinking that I will start acting unprofessionally because of the fact that she didn't let me use the coupon.Other girls have told me the same think. However, she can not expect to break two people with a strong bond by bulling and teasing the girl. The guy will prefer to stay with the girl he is with rather than going for a mean and rude one. A real bully! After that we went to the store located on 4718 North Broadway Avenue. Unlike the store on Lincoln Avenue, the people in the borders store on Broadway Avenue were very polite and helpful. In additon, they accepted my coupon. Of course they will accept it since there was not any pervert manager. I told my man that I don't want us to go anymore to the Borders on Lincoln Avenue because I didn't like how I was treated, and he agreed with me. Other girls have done in the same way. Not only my friends but also my relatives will not go there shopping any more. This pervert store manager makes the store loose lots of money. If Border owners don't want to have a bad reputations and losing money because people want a wellcomming environment where they be treated professionally and with respect, they need to change the manager who is seducing her customers . If the pervert store manager needs a guy, I would suggest that she goes to craigslist.com or clubs.

• Kv
    kvncalloway Nov 15, 2010

I sit at my desk and get a pop up in the middle of what im doing at least once a day. That's cool, right? "Borders" promising great savings- sweet! Just go to a store and attemp to utilize a "savings" and see what you're told. I'm done!

member card

As of april 2009, barnes & noble has begun threatening its employees with job termination if they fail to...

unauthorized membership renewal charges

I have been a member of Barnes and Noble since May last year. My husband asked me yesterday if we would like...

online textbook buyback

I recently used barnes and noble's online textbook buyback service to sell about eight used books. I did the online price quote and printed a mailing label from b&n's website. Subsequent correspondence originated from 'mbsbooks.com'; apparently b&n farms out this buyback service. Fine. But, mbs books received my box of books with an alteration - - in the place of a book that I was quoted $9.80 for, they claimed to have received a book that they valued at exactly zero dollars. I sent a notice of the error to the email address provided by mbs books, with no response. I resent the email two days later, still no reply. So, I emailed barnes and noble, who informed me that I must direct my complaint to yet a third company (Textbooks.com). I did this, and was informed that one of two things must have happened: (1) the package was damaged in transit, and when usps repacked it, a book not mine was mistakenly inserted into my package, and my book was put in someone else's mail (I'm imagining an overturned mail truck on the highway, the driver frantically trying to repack books that have become hopelessly comingled... ). Sorry, b&n/mbs/textbooks.com, but when usps damages a package, they put a notice on it; you would have known there was an issue. Anyway, textbooks.com also suggested this could have happened (2) : the book was misidentified when it was checked in by their staff (Really... Why didn't I think of that?). The isbn's of the two books in question are not even close to each other, but whatever - - mixups happen. Textbooks.com's representative told me two things: one, that in the future I should purchase shipping insurance from usps (Even though it is pretty obvious that usps wouldn't have surreptitiously swapped my book for someone else's... And no one suggested that there was damage involved to my package) , and she also said that "as a one-time courtesy" they would pay me for the book I sent them. How paying me for the book I sent them, that they mislaid, is a courtesy - - and why they will only do it once - - is beyond me. Anyway, to sum up: dealing with barnesandnoble.com's online text book buyback is somewhat frustrating, not at all confidence-inspiring, and not, interestingly, doing business with barnes and noble anyway (Since the transaction is actually done by two other companies. Next time, i'll sell my books locally.

Bad service

I went to Borders Books to purchase a Christmas gift for 19.95 with a 40% off coupon. I picked up three stocking stuffers on the way to checkout, one of which also cost 19.95 and the others were cheaper. The clerk said she would take the discount off one of the 19.99 objects and she rang up a 19.99 stocking stuffer with the coupon. When I returned the stocking stuffer in the required time period they would only gave me 60% or 11.99. I complained to the clerk and the manager and they insisted they couldn't give me the full price because it was rung up at the time for 11.99. I was penalized because I purchased more products. If I had left with only the gift intended I wouldn't have this problem.

• Ca
    cap1119 Aug 31, 2009

So you felt that they should have given you 19.99 for an item that you paid them 11.99. wow ... if you find a place that will do that ... you could buy and return things over and over ... and really make some money on them ... and get everyone to do it to but sadly they would go out of business in a short time ...

but i REALLY LIKE THIS IDEA OF PAYING ... $12 AND GETTING $20 BACK ... I could just stop working and go around shopping and returning ...

• Xe
    XenoMiang Aug 31, 2009

If you returned the $19.99 stocking stuffer that you got the 40% off on, then why would they give you the regular retail price back on it when you didn't pay that?

The coupon was used on that particular item and they wouldn't have to apply it to other purchases you made if that's what you wanted them to do.

Just take the $12 if you really don't want the item.

• So
    SomeoneWhoWorksAndBuys Mar 22, 2010

Wow, this really takes the cake for dumbest thing I've heard lately. You think you deserve $20 back for a $12 item? No wonder the economy is so bad, with customers like this.

• Er
    ErisStar May 23, 2011

I worked at Borders and customers like you made me want to tear my hair out. Use your basic math skills of you have any.

membership

Recently, I purchased a barnes noble membership ($25/year) and received the card about two weeks ago. Then after it happen, I experienced a series of stupidity and foolishness made by this big bookstore chain. First, I could not get my membership number to work. I can't register the number to the online profile, nor can I use it for online purchase in their website. I constantly get this stupid message: "your membership number is already assign for another account. Please re-check your number again. " I got this message both when I try to register the profile and when I went to the "payment" box when I was about to pay for my purchase. Needless to say, it is quite useless to pay $25.

I tried to call the toll free customer service and I did manage to talk with them. The only good thing out of all this mess is the fact that I didn't wait long until an agent answer my call. But all other things are just none sense. The agents were not able to fix the problem because in their system, they cannot see any problem, at least that's what they said. I tried to communicate via e-mail to the membership dept and another stupidity happened. I was asked to give names and membership # etc. After I gave it, there was no certain solution that was given. Hence, after I had a series of long e-mail conversations I tried to reply one of the e-mails and guess what?
One agent replied to that e-mail asking me to give my names and membership # again!!! As if it was the first time I e-mailed them.

I strongly suggest everyone not to consider being a member of barnes noble. You don't have to pay $25 and get all that mess I got.

ChicConsumer Mar 21, 2010

Terri Pucin, Vice President of Customer Experience for B&N.. try contacting her through the switchboard main number 212-633-3300. Good luck although I recall her being the biggest ### in the world and she is supposed to lead the entire company's customer experience but she is absolutely a horrible wench which tells a lot for the company if the person at the top is completely rude.. Sandeep Varma is the corporate head of Loyalty and rewards, follow up with him..

• Sn
    sneekee grrl Jul 14, 2011

Don't buy a membership from B&N unless you spend a LOT of money on books VERY fast.

I have never gotten one for the simple reason that, when you spend $25 for the card, you don't actually see a savings until you've made that money back in discounts. You have to have spent $250 worth of merchandise, which in 10% discounts makes up the $25 you spent on the card. AFTER that time is when you actually start to get a savings, so, for example, if it takes you 6 months to make back your $25, you've only gotten half a year's worth of discounts, NOT a full year. Is $25 for a 6-month membership worth it? I think not.

They will never tell you this when they give their shpiel, only persuade you to sign up because they say you can "immediately" get a discount. But, until you've made that $25 back, all you're getting is reimbursed in discounts for what you spent on the card. For someone who buys books heavily, it may turn out to be a good deal for them. But, for folks like me who don't spend a lot at B&N except on the occasional magazine, it's a ripoff. Save your money, and sign up for the e-mail coupons, which don't cost you a penny.

Not everything is eligible for the coupons (apparently not magazines), but you still may find it to be a better deal than spending $25 for the "privilege" of getting a "discount" from them.

• Ci
    Cindyds109 May 04, 2013

I'm very upset at b&n. I signed up for their kids club card and I've had it for a while and I always make sure I use it everytime I purchase a book for my son. Well today I went into the store and the employee who swiped it informed me that my card/ membership doesn't exist and the card is not even working. How could this be possible? She told me to re-fill out a new form. I asked what happened to the points I had supposedly earned from all the purchases I've made and she said if have to start all over again. I was so angry finally asked for a manager and so he says he fixed it but when I check online nothing seems fixed the hundreds of dollars I've spent haven't been accounted for on my card it's still showing that I've spent zero dollars at the store. Never going back to this book store again what a rip off!!!

loud obnoxious christmas music

Today I went into barnes and noble on broadway in tucson looking for an art book I saw there last time I was there. There was loud christmas music playing, the hollywood mafia screaming about how the lord is king, etcetera. Man, I couldn't stand it! I was looking through the titles trying to find the book, and this horrible white christian male culture was screaming at me. If I wanted to go to a christian church, i'd go to a christian church, but since i'm a buddhist I don't do that. How would christians feel if buddhists or muslims or whatever were to scream their religion at them for a month and a half every year? If americans want to bathe themselves in religious monarchy, move to another country! Here, we don't like monarchy, and that means real americans don't like christianity dressed up like england or saudi arabia. Jesus wasn't a prince, but just a man, and his big white father in the sky doesn't exist, only his real one.

I complained to the service desk when I left, and of course, the guy made faces at me. If ignorance is the presumed status quo in america, well then, what does that say about the kind of people we are?

Tara carreon

• Ho
    Holly Dec 26, 2008

I completely agree, as I am an employee and B&N and agnostic. Try working there every other day with Christian music forced into your ears. Even worse, the Bible Belt is defacing anything that is not Christian or has Obama on the front. It is absolutely DISGUSTING.

• Ta
    TA Lopez Dec 17, 2009

Did you use your "American" money to pay for your purchase? Have you read what is written on it". The thing about America, that you should "get" if you had half a brain is...You had the choice to leave and not spend your money there, why stay and then complain? What an obvious non-American you are.

• Re
    Real Music lover Dec 21, 2010

I find a lot of the music is sound offensive due to the screaming. It sounds like hog calling at a state fair, accompanied by musical instruments. the singers should not call themselves artists, but should be kept away from any recording device altogether. It's not just ethnic. I mean Celine Dion singing Christmas music sounds revolting as well as Black singers. Mellow it out people!!!

• IronGrudge89 Apr 09, 2011

Just because you don't follow a particular faith, doesn't make you a "non-American." And contrary to popular belief, the founding fathers were Atheist. "In God we Trust" was put on currency to make people such as yourself feel adequate. "If you had half a brain" you wouldn't be a condescending douche and be so quick to judge. What an obvious American you are. Keep believing what everyone spoonfeeds you, though. Typical Christian.

fraud

I just discovered an "unauthorized charge" on my credit card from BarnesandNoble.com that just occurred...

inept customer “service”

My advice is succinct: if you must use this company, be sceptical when you receive the "your shipment i...

sports illustrated magazine!

I would like to know why Barnes and Noble finds it appropriate to display, a Magazine picturing a tople...

no credit for returned books

In october 2007 I mailed in 10 books, in one box, for return credit to barnes and noble. All the packing slips were included in the shipment. They were all packaged in one box. I received credit for 7 of the returned books, but it has been a constant battle for the last three books. The customer service people insist that they have not yet received the books in question but I know that is impossible as I sent them all in the same box - realistically, if they received the first 7 books, then they must have received the last 3. I have been corresponding with these people since october and have found them to be completely without empathy and have no idea what customer service is. I have all the original emails sent to me by them, most of them with differing stories and resolutions.In fact one of them promised that I would have my credit within two billing cycles, that was two months ago. Someone owes me for the 3 books returned. This is getting increasingly more frustrating. Barnes and noble has the worst customer service i've ever experienced. I've cancelled my b&n membership and credit card and will never do business with these people again. Can anyone help me??!!

• Ro
    Roar Apr 02, 2008

I ordered two DVD's online with a gift card in December, and two months later I received an empty package. I called their customer service line which is 1-800-The-Book and they told me that they would send it again.

Just today I remembered that I had never received the DVD's. I called them and they told me they could not do anything about it. I'm never buying from them again.

• Wi
    William S May 16, 2008

Terrible customer service. Tried to make a return after 14 days of a gift that was a duplicate. No one at the store had the authority to ok it even tho we shop there every week. Dont buy your gifts at Barnes and Noble.

• Do
    Don Jul 27, 2008

I never go to Barnes & Noble so I never had a problem.

• Id
    idacajun Jan 20, 2009

I ordered birthday gift for my little grandson on line, Learn to Draw projector kit. I paid the $3.00 extra to have it gift wrapped and had it shipped to his house in ID. UPS did a good job of delivering it but when my grandson opened the package, all the contents of the projector kit was gone and replaced with 2 small empty boxes, pieces of paper, a broken buzz lightyear toy, a baby bib, 2 plastic fruits. I contacted them by email 2 days later still no word, so i dug till i found the phone number and was told that they no longer have the item in stock but would refund my money to my debit card when they receive the bad gift. I told them I was not paying to ship it back to them and they need to process my refund so I can afford to buy him the gift somewhere else. After a few heated words, she said she processed refund request but would still take 3-5 business days, it didnt take them 3 hours to deduct it from my account but it takes that long to get it back to me.
    They have lost me as a customer and i will tell anyone that will listen!!!

barnes and noble falsely advertises & fast and free & delivery

On december 16th, I ordered items from barnesandnoble.com to be used as christmas presents. I normally would...

barnes and noble has unprofessional and hostile staff

Yesterday my husband I went in to the store to return some purchases we bought at the store. The "manager"...

satisfaction is also at the customer's expense

Hi everyone, we're hoping someone nice can resolve this blog for us. We'd like to know why we were...