Complaints & Reviews

fake/retaliation reviews

There are number of people attacking author Barbara Avon with 1 star reviews. This is a result of troll activity followed by twitter.

They have gone on to harass anyone who responds to their reviews.

As an author myself, I find this an unacceptable practice for Goodreads to allow.

Please investigate these targeted attacks. The perpretators are even laughing about it in the comments.

• Am
    Amina Warsuma Feb 22, 2020

Yes, as an author, I gave a $400 give away. A reviewer attacked me, and she left a nasty review on Amazon too. I responded to a reviewer who said he was struggling to read to my work, and he gave a spoiler, and it would take him some time to read it thoroughly. I posted my first chapter on Grammarly, and here is what it said. Your text is likely to be understood by a reader who has at least a 7th-grade education (age 12) and should be easy for most adults to read. I said maybe he has a reading disability, and if you are over 50, you might not like my writing style, or he may have to have his glasses checked or needed glasses. This other reviewer came out of nowhere and said what turned her off was what I said, and she gave my book a 2 star because the story didn't connect; she liked the premise. Because I turned her off, she gave me a one-star on Amazon which, is a violation because this is a Quid Pro Quo meaning I am giving the book for a review and asks on Good Reads, not Amazon. You are not allowed on Amazon to go to customers and provide a free book and tell them you want a review or pay for reviews. A couple of authors spent people to read their writing and give reviewers. Most of them were good, and maybe one or two were terrible. Amazon got wind of it and took the authors to court and sued them and won. I made it clear my age range is 18 to 45, and anyone over 50 is reading my book at their own risk, and if there are flaws and I fix them, they won't like it because it is not marketed to them or their age range. GoodRead is letting anyone enter the contest.
    This woman is over 65. Another woman over 50 gives me a detailed editing assessment review and a 2 star. Still, she told the whole story and details so everyone will know what the book is about so they won't read it, and she posted the review on Amazon and Barnes & Noble she said there are missing words the grammar is terrible. I am going over the book because I am doing a screenplay, and the syntax is excellent. Her kindle machine is an old version because I haven't found any missing words. Good Reads warmed me not to say or respond to the reviews, but they are protecting the reviewer who says anything they want and discourages other readers, which infringes on the writer's rights and destroys their sales. If there are any errors I will fix them, but I won't be spending another $400 on GoodReads the positive thing out of this whole ordeal I was going to pay $1, 000 in giveaways but those two reviewers attacking me blew it for GoodReads, and I will complain, to Amazon to take their reviews off of my books page. Most of the readers are writers and sour grape editors who can't get a job. They better not come after me on twitter I have 32, 000 followers I'll turn into a warrior and crush them and their reputation a bunch of freeloaders.
    The Literary Squad.

• Am
    Amina Warsuma Feb 22, 2020

In my eagerness, I post I misspelled a word so this is an error-free copy.
    Yes, as an author, I gave a $400 give away. A reviewer attacked me, and she left a nasty review on Amazon too. I responded to a reviewer who said he was struggling to read to my work, and he gave a spoiler, and it would take him some time to read it thoroughly. I posted my first chapter on Grammarly, and here is what it said. Your text is likely to be understood by a reader who has at least a 7th-grade education (age 12) and should be easy for most adults to read. I said maybe he has a reading disability, and if you are over 50, you might not like my writing style, or he may have to have his glasses checked or needed glasses. This other reviewer came out of nowhere and said what turned her off was what I said, and she gave my book a 2 star because the story didn't connect; she liked the premise. Because I turned her off, she gave me a one-star on Amazon which, is a violation because this is a Quid Pro Quo meaning I am giving the book for a review and asks on GoodReads, not Amazon. You are not allowed on Amazon to go to customers and provide a free book and tell them you want a review or pay for reviews. A couple of authors paid people to read their writing and give reviews. Most of them were good, and maybe one or two were terrible. Amazon got wind of it and took the authors to court and sued them and won. I made it clear my age range is 18 to 45, and anyone over 50 is reading my book at their own risk, and if there are flaws and I fix them, they won't like it because it is not marketed to them or their age range. GoodReads is letting anyone enter the contest who may or may not be a fan of your genre or your market. They just want something for free.
    This woman is over 65. Another woman over 50 gives me a detailed editing assessment review and a 2 star. Still, she told the whole story and details so everyone will know what the book is about so they won't read it, and she posted the review on Amazon and Barnes & Noble she said there are missing words the grammar is terrible. I am going over the book because I am doing a screenplay, and the syntax is excellent. Her kindle machine is an old version because I haven't found any missing words. GoodReads warned me not to say or respond to the reviews, but they are protecting the reviewer who says anything they want and discourages other readers, which infringes on the writer's rights and destroys their sales. If there are any errors I will fix them, but I won't be spending another $400 on GoodReads the positive thing out of this whole ordeal I was going to pay $1, 000 in giveaways but those two reviewers attacking me blew it for GoodReads, and I will complain, to Amazon to take their reviews off of my books page. Most of the readers are writers and sour grape editors who can't get a job. They better not come after me on twitter I have 32, 000 followers I'll turn into a warrior and crush them and their reputation a bunch of freeloaders.
    The Literary Squad.

true influence the magic of human connection

True Influence, LLC is a company well known for its development of customized leads for its clients to influence potential customers to buy products and services. Mr. Tim David'...

fake book reviews.

Margaret Stickland has been a so-called book reviewer, who should not be given the opportunity. This woman has a tie with an opportunity shop that illegally on-sells novels, and...

inability to get help

612424 I am the author of eleven children's books, all of which are on Goodreads. I noticed that some were missing cover images and was able, using the "edit" facility, to insert these...

what a disappointment

Has anyone had the same problem?
I found a book to read, picked it, but didn't find where exactly I should start reading. No links, no buttons. What exactly did I do wrong?
I asked them the same question one week ago, but they haven't answered yet. Tried to read other books on the website, the same thing happened again. Maybe they don't have anything at all and will ask for money?

do not use

It's a typical website stating that it's free but in fact, it's not.
I was looking for a special literature and found it on this website for free (as they stated). Once I confirmed I wanted a definite book, they said I have to pay.
What else can be said? Why do you say it's free when it's absolutely not?
I highly recommend staying away from them. Don't trust people who feel ok using your trust. They are the scariest ones to deal with...

Goodreads.comgoodreads is very difficult to use

Goodreads is very difficult to use and their support service is absolutely ridiculous! I joined this site because I found some good books on their site, but after I joined I wasn't able to find where to read. I checked everything carefully and there was no option to start reading the book.
I contacted their customer care service and they simply said that everything was available on their site and that I should have checked more carefully.
I checked again and found nothing. I was very disappointed with Goodreads service because these people clearly showed that they did not care. I would not recommend this site to anyone.

Goodreads.combad place!

I want to post this complaint from the name of my friend. He is an author and he decided to list his book on Goodreads and as he said that was the biggest mistake he ever made.
He was attacked by several users which didn't like something about his book and he received angry and threatening messages.
When my friend asked Goodreads for help they simply banned him! What I want to say is that there is no author protection and that this site is a bad place! Don't use this site!!

Goodreads.comfake charges and their free books are not for free

I signed up for the website www.goodreads.com. I wasted a lot of time in order to find the necessary books, but it was crap. I tried to download from them, but the website showed error all the time. WTF? As well as it was impossible to get any help from the moderators. Not recommended website and it was only waste of time. As well as some of the books were for free, but it was fault info. They charged for free books as well. Post comments.

Goodreads.comweird stuff

This site doesn't post reviews per the customer but per their own formula. This is stated under the default bubble for reviews. Their secret formula is obviously based on marketing interests, which is why their site looks squeaky and bleachy clean. When I added a nice book review for a favorite progressive black author they added this creepy looking guy under the reviews. That guy wasn't there before I wrote my book review. There were only eight reviews, none of them detailed. But after I wrote my review this creepy guy Snagadeal suddenly appeared while my review was not listed. Snagadeal had books listed like The Life and Words of Robert Welch, Founder of John Birch Society; The Sinner; The Prophecies of Nostradamus; and other basically trash. In fact, Goodreads has never displayed my reviews on their home page of new book reviews for the day. In this way they are less reliable than amazon, which displays all my reviews positive or not. Right now only one of my reviews is displayed out of eight of them posted at various dates. The rest of my book reviews are basically not even available to public viewing. So what is the point of subscribing to this site? Like I said, they are running by a secret formula, and that formula is based on the venerated railroad icon. Clean, bleach clean, and money. There is no way Snagadeal would be reading a book by this progressive female author, but suddenly he was there. I am willing to bet Snag is either a hacker which means Goodreads is not a safe site or Snag is a convenient alibi. Either way, Goodreads is not as squeaky bleachy clean as it lets on. Be forewarned!