Barnes and Noble / fraud

1 CA, United States Review updated:

I just discovered an "unauthorized charge" on my credit card from BarnesandNoble.com that just occurred 11-14-08 for $66.22. In calling Barnes and Noble the rep asked me a few questions that would determine "if the order was indeed fraudulent" such as billing address, email address, card number etc. in which NONE OF THIS INFORMATION MATCHED!!! however, the rep could not reveal the items ordered nor the shipping address of these products even though it was my CARD!! get this - the order had even already shipped so it would seem that revealing info would not be a problem because IT WAS MY CARD USED FRAUDULENTLY !!! So i called my bank (bank credit card) and they were appalled because they dont even have on record that Barnes and Noblem called them for AUTHORIZATION which they should have done on all online purchases!!!..So now I have to wait until monday morning to call the Barnes and Noble Sales Audit Dept to correct this. I have since deleted my card info off their website for future purchases and having a new credit card issued but it seemed like Barnes did not really take ahold of this fraud purchases seriously.

Comments

• Ca
      1st of Dec, 2008

I too have a purchase 11-30-08 on my card for $73.15, which i didn't make... What phone number are you using to contact B&N because they are giving me the run around ...

• Ho
      26th of Dec, 2008

From what I understand, a type of bug infected retail stores among B&N, T.J. Maxx, and a few others I can't recall. The bug coded the card number and the PIN number that was punched in along with it. Everything came from North Korea, and matters are still being sorted and handled accordingly. My parents fell victim to this, and to my knowledge they simply contacted their cardholder company and they reversed the transaction.

• As
      3rd of Jan, 2009

Same thing just happened to me, only I was charged TWICE by Barnes and Noble each time for $74.75. I too called and was given the run around both times. I did a large amount of online shopping before Christmas...but have NEVER shopped at Barnes and Noble online. Will be more careful in the future using my debit card online.

• Cr
      3rd of Mar, 2009

Happened to me in February for roughly the same amount as everyone above. They couldn't release who's name was on the order or other shipment info. They gave me a fax number for local law enforcement to request it directly from them. Unreal.

• Ge
      5th of Jun, 2009

Same thing happened to me... my credit card was charged $114.49, $115.49, $116.49! I called Barnes & Noble Audit Dept, they wouldn't tell me who made those charges and what items were "purchased". I called my credit card company but they couldn't help me anymore since they have a regulation that they can't dispute "fraudulent charges" if it was more than 60 days old!

• At
      10th of Aug, 2009

Something strange is going on with B & N. I placed an order last week for books for school and then yesterday received an email asking for verification information in order to finalize the order.

The email was from book.com and requested all of the following information via email!!! When I called and spoke with a supervisor named "Lea" she refused to give me any information about and hung up on me!

Either it is a scam or they have an inept security department. I will NOT be doing business with Barnes & Noble online until something changes.

********************************************************************
    Please reply to this e-mail with the following information:

Credit Card (last 4 #'s)____________________
    Security Code # (3 or 4 digits) _________________(see below for code location)

Credit Card Type

22nd of Oct, 2010

BARNES AND NOBLE IS NOT A SCAM YOU PEOPLE NEED TO GROW UP

• Mr
      22nd of Oct, 2010

YOU PEOPLE UP HERE TALKING ABOUT BARNES AND NOBLE RIPPING PEOPLE OFF.