AT&T / uverse - billing and customer service

1 AT&T UVerseWaukesha, WI, United States

12/10/15 After 5 attempts of correcting my father-in-laws bill that was consistently $50 overcharged each month (going into the store each time to correct), we finally gave up and told them we were cancelling the service. In doing so, they proceeded to call the corporate office and tried to coax us into staying with them by offering incentives (gift cards, etc.), but after going through this so many times we felt the history showed it would happen again and we were paying too much to begin with. Corporate tried to say, he would have to pay an "early termination fee, " but the store manager corrected the corporate representative and told them he was not in a promotional program and it should be waived so after waiting for this to be resolved, we asked that his service be disconnected in "two days." We left the store and proceeded to his home and found out he was immediately shut off that day! The repercussions in doing this were that he lost his land line FOREVER which he had for 50 years because it was disconnected before the next company hooked him up and my 85 year old father in law had no phone service for 4 days!!! I called AT & T Verse and talked to them about their mishap and they told me he would have to pay a $49.99 activation fee to hook back up if he wanted it. Really??????? They unhooked him before we asked them to do so! Another mistake on there part, but not surprising to us as they show total disregard and lack of organization. The story doesn't end there! My father-in-law just received his bill for last month and it includes an early activation fee of $165 and a full month that is again $50 more than it should be!!! If this doesn't make an 85 year old man's blood pressure go up, I don't know what does? Guess where we have to go today? Back to the store to argue a charge that we already have take care of.

Pa