AT&T U - Verse / failure to release phone number for porting

1 OK, United States

Please complain about AT&T to the FCC online: http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

AT&T is holding my 77-year-old mother's phone number hostage in retaliation for her canceling U-verse.

She was enticed last fall by a rebate offer from AT&T. She switched her cable, internet and phone service to U-verse. The remote was extremely user-unfriendly and three of us, with six college degrees among us, couldn't figure out how to get everything to work. Finally she said she wanted to switch back to the local cable company.

I wanted to make sure she would get to keep her phone number, so I checked online and learned that we needed to call the new company *first.* So that's what we did. The new company said they would send AT&T a "port order" to move the phone number, but that we would have to cancel the internet and cable TV service.

AT&T canceled the entire U-verse package before the phone number could be ported. I have called AT&T more than a half-dozen times, I have spent HOURS on the phone being transferred to as many as seven different people. I had two requests: Either (1) let us PAY one month's service just to turn the phone back on so that the number can be ported to the new company, or (2) place a recording on the number saying that it has been changed and giving the new phone number. During all my calls to AT&T, supposedly I had reached about a third tier of manager, who did call me back a couple of times to tell me that she was still working on the problem. But her last phone call was Friday, Feb. 19, and I have given up hope. I have filed a complaint online with the FCC, and I encourage you to do the same:

Also, see the post by the other person, who listed this complaint address for AT&T:

AT&T Recourse Department
308 S. Ackard, Ste 3700
Dallas, TX 75202

I will be sending a letter to this address, with a cc to my state's Attorney General's Consumer Protection Unit.