Having problems with AT&T?

+1 800 288 2020 (Customer Service)
+1 888 333 6651 (Order New Wireless Service)
+1 877 782 8870 (Check Wireless Order Status)
+1 314 925 6925 (Support For Travel Abroad)
+1 800 901 9878 (AT&T PrepaidSM)
+1 844 827 7057 (Order New U-Verse TV Service)
+1 866 861 6075 (Order New Digital Phone Service)
+1 800 331 0500 (Wireless Customer Service)
+1 866 294 3464 (ConnecTech PaidTechnical Support)
+1 866 435 3264 (Dial-Up Billing & Payments)
+1 877 990 0041 (Order New Fixed Wireless Internet Service English)
+1 866 975 0050 (AT&T PREPAID Wireless Home Phone)
+1 855 288 2727 (Digital Life)
575 Morosgo Dr., NE Rm 14f67
Atlanta, Georgia
United States - 30324-3300

Complaints & Reviews

unfair treatment!

I started advertising with Bellsouth Yellowpages a few years ago. Last year they were absorbed by AT&T. In...

unauthorized charges!

To anyone who has a choice of telephone company, please... DO NOT use AT&T. All that a person needs is your...

big mistake

To whom it may concern, I changed to att home phone service a few months ago (Big mistake) I also subscribed...

new att phone arbitrarily switched my account and charged me 5x the amount

I've been using ATT bundled local and long distance for over two years at a fixed monthly rate. I work from home so I use the phone A LOT. Well ATT got bought and became the NEW ATT.

Long story short they killed my bundle charged me 10 cents minute for long distance AND sent me a local bill too boot. So my usual $85/month turned into a $200 long distance bill plus an $80 local bill.

Even though I did not ask to change anything and everything done to me was arbitrary they are sticking to their guns and saying I must pay. I've spent 3 hours total on the phone now.

Even though they admit I had no choice and my plan was arbitrarily switch their policy is that the charges remain in place. They will not credit me.

So goodbye NEW AT&T

• Dr
    DRK Apr 01, 2009

I attempted to make my life easier by switching from Comcast to ATT. Since I did that my phone service or I should say lack of it and any help has been amazing. I am really angry and at my wits end. My non-service started on Feb 16, 2009 and has not worked for more than 5-6 days without regular interruption. The service men have come to the house, but nothing got fixed without 3/4 service calls each time. All during that time period I had no phone sevice.It is now 4/1/09 and once more I have no phone service. I have been told by the "customer service" agents that it must be my equiptment (which never went down with Comcast) and that I should purchase a warrenty from them to take care of any problems.
    Last night 3/31/09 I called and asked to talk to a supervisor. I was told that he was on the phone with another customer and he would call me withen the hour. Four hours later I called back and complained that I had no call back. Finally the "manager" and I talked and he told me the same thing as the customer service agents. Someone would be out to my home in 5 days-sorry, and there would be a charge if they had to come inside, and that I should purchase the warrenty. In other words I got nowhere with someone that was not in authority.
    I have felt since there is no phone service for another 5 days that I should not have to pay my phone bill because of all the non-serivce I have received. All I want is a phone that works!!

• Ly
    lynn roberts Jul 15, 2009

I was told I was given a $100 cash reward for ordering my phone service and dsl equipment. When I get on the websight to retrieve my reward it skips the "3 simple steps" in order to receive the cash.

at&t is the worst company!

My mother is a senior citizen and does not live with me. I do, however, pay her phone bills and have them...

wont let me out of a contract

I had Cingular for a couple of years and now tht it's AT&T I don't coverage in my area with the exception of in my home and at my job. Neither place do I need a cell phone. I know for a fact (AT&T) actually told me them selves that they don't have the same contracts that Cingular did for the towers. and I don't have service where I did before. So I am furious, they want 175.00 per line and I have 2 of the 3 under a contract to cancel service. They said that being that I get the reception in my home I have no reason to cancel. I have called them everyday for several days and still gotten the same answer. SO I'm off to the local newspaper and radio station to really start raising some hell and I'm actally thinking of picketing in front of the store as well. How can they get a way with charging for a service they don't provide?

repair and irresponcibility

I have been fighting with the AT&T people for two months to get my phone and internet service fixed. No dial tone, static on the line and no one will help me but to give lip service and broken promises that the problem will be fixxed. Three times they said they turned over a work order to Verizon for service but Verizon has no record of it . Each time I call, I`m told the problem has been resolved. Every person I talk to will not take responsibility and endeavors to pass me off to someone else. Even when I ask to talk to a supervisor I am passed off to two other operators who say the last person must have hit the wrong button. When I do get to talk to a supervisor, I ask to get an address for their complaint dept and he gives me a bogus address and a bogus fax number as well. I tried to fax a complaint and a girl in north N.J. called me back saying that I called her cell phone and she has nothing to do with ATT.
The supervisor`s name was Victor, he refused to give his last name . The battle continues. I know ATT will never read this cause most of their operators can`t speak fluent english , much less read it. 12/11/07

• Ra
    ra marshall Dec 11, 2007

I am in week two without phone service (home) and living through the identical problem listed above. I consider myself reasonably intellegent and resourceful, but this issue has me as frustrated as I've ever been. I too have spoken with Victor twice and to several service support people in India- only to be told "they are overwhelmed" and "the problem is beeing reviewed". We've used over 4 hours of cell phone minutes- 21/2 hours with at&t customer service. This problem has me worried for the first time in my adult life. I would like to communicate with others experiencing similar problems.

Gail Bryant Dec 19, 2007

I requested a copy of my January-June 2006 statements back on August 28th, 2007; and to this day I have yet to receive the reprints. I have called by different unit managers telling me that the order for the reprints were put in and that I'd have them 3-10 business days. Well, like I said, to this day I have not received them. I've been a customer with AT & T since 1997, and I don't think that a loyal customer should be treated this way. I would like to know if there is anyway I could get my reprints before the year is out (which would be next week)?

• Am
    Amit Khurana Nov 10, 2008

had bought a Go phone last month and had activated the same on 13th October 2008, I got the phone + gophone card of 50$ value with 10$ bonus for the activations in that period. Eventually i got a nice deal with 60$ time.

After I recharged the phone, I started noticing the problems while speaking on the refurbished Nokia 2610. It was a bad instrument as I was not able to hear the other person clearly on this phone ; and since here you usually buy the phone + connection together, by the time i realised the phone was bad i consumed 1.5$. To cover up for the business I spoke to T-mobile and ordered a new connection, as poor connection causes me a loss in my business.

I was pretty sure that this money was to be returned by AT&T (barring the 1.5$ which i had consumed so far); I called up customer care and they spoke so redely to me and said that the talktime cannot be returned.

Reason why i had to go through the pain of ordering a new connection is due to the phone which was promoted by AT&T and evenually I could not use my talktime with this phone. Please suggest as I am searching for the appropriate consumer forum to help me here.
    All I paid was 40$ plus 3 $ taxes and I want this 43$ back., because of this bad instrument or whatever reason (may be the TA&T) connection at Arizona; I have still not been able to use the talktime which is valid till 11th January 2009.

I am raising this concern with other consumer forums as well,
    All i want is my basic money to be returned.

My AT&T no is : 480-399-5642
    Order Number: 5257093798

Thanks
    Amit Khurana

garzon4 Feb 25, 2011

I am having similar problems transferring my phone and internet svc as well I am on week 3 and ust told that they do see a problem but if they send a technician it will be $55 for first 15 minutes...i wil be calling their complaint# tomorrow 877-377-0415...wish me luck

garzon4 Feb 25, 2011

At&t needs training on customer service

at&t mail in rebate

Well i upgraded my internet service to AT&T High speed internet in May and with it i got a new router for...

poor customer service

My name is Mary Nicki Dancy. On or around 10-27-2007, I received a two-month statement from AT&T. I called a number and had a conversation with John Scales because I knew I had paid my phone bill. John told me it appears as if when I made the September payment it never went through because of an error I made with one number. At this time I told Mr. Scales If I made a mistake why wasn't I notified so I could take care of the problem. He then said I was mailed a notice but I replied I never received it although I never had a problem getting the phone bill at my address. At this time he also told me the October payment was never paid and I told him it was paid and he asked me to fax him a printout of my bank statement and I did on 10-30-07. I faxed it to [protected]. Mr. Scales said he investigated this. I also questioned him about my service being interrupted while he was investigating and he put me on hold while he talked to someone in the payment center. He said 'Don't worry, your service will not be interrupted.' I trusted him at that point. He also told me if I fax it on Monday, someone will get it to him on Wednesday, and he assured me he would be getting back to me. Well he never did and my Internet service was disconnected on 11-6-07. I called trying to get someone but the office was closed, so I talked to Ray in Tech support DSL and he said he would make a ticket #[protected] on this and have someone to contact me the following day. The next morning at 7:30 am I called AT&T again trying to find out what I needed to do to get the Internet active again. I was on my cell phone more than 45 minutes being transferred from one person to another. Some people just refused to speak to me because they said this account was in James Dobbs name, and I know it's in my name. I have had this account since September 2006 when I purchased my home. Although when I call certain friends, James Dobbs shows up on their caller I.D. Finally I did talk to someone and they said I needed to pay $130.00 to get the Internet active so I did. They assured me once I made the payment my service would be restored. That never happened. It cleared my bank 11-9-07 and the conformation # was 071917. I think this was paid 11-7-07. On Friday 11-9-07 I called again spoke to Williams and Liza. They assured me that $130.00 was never paid. I gave them the conformation number and they said they could not find it. William's funky attitude was pure ugly. He told me at first I had to pay $157.00 to get my service active and I told him 'Hell no, and explain why it's so much.' There was a charge of $24.00 for a return check fee in September when there was an error made, and they charged me for that. I told him again I was not going to pay that $24.00. Then William said I needed to pay $103.94 since the $130.00 did not show up. So I made another payment. Since October 23, 2007 I have paid $360.00 for what? I talked to Ms. Jackson in electronic payments and she had a funky attitude as well. She treated me as If I was her child; she said, 'If you don't lower your voice I will disconnect you because I don't have to put up with this.' I told her I wanted to speak to her supervisor, and she said they weren't there. All I wanted was to be connected to the correct person, so Ms. Jackson hung up on me. I was very hurt. I called back and spoke to Ms. Davis and she was very nice and understanding and she said she knew Ms. Jackson in electronic payment and that she will report her and she was sorry for what happened. Ms. Davis said it seemed like the $130.00 went to James Dobbs account. So I needed to call someone else, I did and at this time it was 6:50. On Friday, 11-16-07 I spoke to Kevin in Customer Service. He was nice at first but he kept putting me on hold but at 7:10 he pulled the plug on me as well. In the last week I have spoken more than 25 people and put on hold too much. I also have my cell phone records to show how often I called and how long I was on hold, I spoke to Becky Roberts, Rave Cruz, Ray, Tamika, Michael, Don, Janelle, William, Liza, Dwayne, Eric, Ms. Jackson, Kevin, Miesha, Ms. Davis, Kimberly Roberts, and many more. Including John Scales. Seventeen different people just to name a few. This has been very stressful for me and no one could help solve this problem. On 11-17-07, I called again spoke to Kimberley Roberts in Customer Service. She also told me she could not give out information on this account because it does not belong to me. I have been calling now since September 2006 trying to get the caller I.D. problem repaired but every time repair called, they would leave a message saying it has been repaired, but it has not. I told Kimberly on 11-17-07, I want my $130.00 refunded to my account and she told me she could not refund it. She told me to call my bank to see what they could do. I should not have to go through this. Now on 11-17-07 I received a disconnect notice. I will not give AT&T another dime. You owe me and this will be forwarded to my attorney A.S.A.P.

Date Amount Paid Conformation #

Pin # 9749

Mary Nicki Dancy

• Tt
    TT Feb 20, 2008

I signed up for long distance service. The phone was not turned on for several days. I called multiple times to get my service, I had different responses from different reps, finally they did computer test and determined that there was a problem on their side and that they will send some one to fix it. I waited that day, but no body showed up. Fortunately my phone worked some how. After three weeks they sent me $85 fee for some one to come and fix the service without my knower. I called the customer service to inquire why I was charged this much, the customer rep did not even gave me a chance to finish my statement, She just shouted that she will not wave the incurred charge. I done with ATT(Bell south)

attempted to change contract!

Signed up for Dish Network through AT&T over the phone after their website kept giving errors. Wife and I were looking for specific channels and was offered a package deal. The Dish deal was suppose to be $37.99 a month after a $10 discount wed receive each month for a total of 18 months with free DVR, 200 channels, free installation, $25 target gift card, and $50 credit on next bill.

Now the fun starts. The tech that came to install the dish puts the dish on the roof where he was told not to as the roof was foam and that the only place that would support it correctly was the wall. Tech put it on the roof anyways angering my landlord. When the tech gave me the papers to sign I looked at them carefully and noticed it was a new contract showing 180 channels not 200, different rates, so I drew a line through each page, said I didn't approve and the tech gave me copies and left.

More fun starts now when the DVR shuts off through half the shows, and channels we were suppose to get we didn't. I call up dish network and am informed that Id have to pay an additional $5.00 for the baby channel and also $10 more for the top 250 to get the channels we were suppose to get when we signed up the first time. When the rep told me that the price will be $59.99 I informed them that $37.99 + 15 doesn't come to $59.99. The rep now tells me that the price is $59.99 and that I am only getting $10 off for only 10 months and that I'm under contract for 18 months. When I told them the $10 discount is for the entire 18 months, I was told that their rates can change without notice, and that what AT&T offered was over ridden when I signed the new contract given to me by the installer. I informed them I in fact did now sign it, and when I was told my verbal acceptance when ordering can be used, I said 'Sure, then you will have to give me the services I paid for and the discounts as that recording is the contract as you stated and binding' By the way, I was transfered to the executive office who said I had to hash this out and if I canceled Id be charged for early termination of contract. I then told them to look at account history in which he then informed me he cant talk to me and that Id have to talk to AT&T's legal dept come Monday.

What brought that about, and now I know DISH&AT&T are very connected is that back in New York back in 1989, I had taken AT&T who was under another name at the time to court and won not once but twice for an incorrect bill and misleading contract. The executive saw the note and that ended that conversation.

So to sum this all up, don't trust Dish Network or AT&T as what they offer over the phone they try taking back by tricking the customer into signing a new contract upon installation.

• Je
    Jeanne Martin Apr 12, 2008

The same thing happened to me my package included Phone Internet dish & cell for $99.00 (200 )channels + Free HBO when the dish arrived they had me signed up for 100 channels they charged an extra charge for HBO and Ciniamax with rebates for all instillation and 2 gift cards. None of this was true. My 1st
    Bill was over $200.00 when I called to inquire why I was told well we signed you up for >>> Not what I ordered and guess what now you monthly bill will be $158.00 Not $99.00 Line charges $5.00 extra packages $20.00 extra box that was not free @ all $5.00 typical bate and switch. Their needs to be a class action suit against this kind of business tactic with the FCC involved.

Norma Ellen Dowling Jul 17, 2008

Well I certainly wish I had seen your site a few weeks ago. I signed up for Dish network through AT&T on the phone because of a flyer I was sent in the mail that sounded like a good deal. Many hours of phone calls later, not to mention emails, I have still not managed to get AT&T to bill me properly for the promotion I ordered. In fact AT&T can't remember their own flyer. Or that particular promotion. Which by the way was good sent in May 2008, and was for Dish network added to your bundle, sign up for a period of 2 years, at the rate of $29.00 for 1 TV with a free DVR, or upgrade to two TVs for 34.99 a month, no hidden fees, so said the sales person. I was to get money back in 3 installments, and it was for the America's favorite !00 Channels. I'm exhausted and angry. Bell South was a company with some integrity. Don't even ask me what I think about AT&T. Life has enough problems in it. I don't need this one. Oh by the way there is a $200.00 dollar fee if you cancel the Dish network before the 2 years are up. I can not believe I signed up to save money, and am getting less programming than I had before and paying the same amount of money. This is beyond absurd, it is evil.

• Ba
    Barbara Holly Sep 03, 2008

So where do you go from here? I've been battling them for over a year for an installation that never took place, after four missed half day appointments and over 20 hours on the phone and now I find they've damaged my credit for charging me for installation services I never got. How do you get resolution?

• Mb
    mbrady601 Mar 16, 2009

Similar things happened to us. We signed up for Dish through AT&T. Dish was supposed to be free for a year, but we were billed for it anyway. My husband called and was told that the rep didn't sign him up for the right package to get dish free, so he was SOL. I called and the rep I spoke to cleared everything up, so I thought. Long story short, we are still getting billed for it, I keep getting shuffled around from one office to another and our dish got shut off for nonpayment. And dishnetwork won't deal with us directly unless we get things straightened out with AT&T. I filed an FCC complaint yesterday, but I doubt anything will come of it.

• Lm
    LMoyar Apr 07, 2009

This is really getting ridiculous! I bought Dish Network services through AT&T and I didn't know they were entering me into an 18month contract. 5 months later AT&T solicits me to "upgrade" to their U-Verse cable service. How can they sell me a different service 5 months after they sold me an 18 month contract?? I figured any contract would just be voided by them selling me an upgrade. Then the installers told me to throw out the dish equipment, they couldn't use it. Now Dish Network is charging me $800 for the equipment that AT&T told me to throw away! Also, a contract cancellation fee!!! I didn't even know Dish was a separate company from AT&T. I figured AT&T owned Dish. I'm going to have to go to court. Wish there was a class action suit!!!

• Ti
    timothy planicka Apr 26, 2010

wow!!! i too have been swindelled my at&t/dish network. i had simular service argreements as did you all. i also paid an extra 50.00 at signing to opt out of any early cancellation fees but dish network has but me in collections for 200.00 cancellation fee. i have written to the ftc and fcc but looks like class action suit is the only way out i guess. im not an attorney and it seems like we have zero rights and at&t /dish have all the rights and goverment in there hip pocket.

• Je
    Jerrad Nov 11, 2010

ATT has now stopped selling dish netowrk service, though our contract was just up. I have been on the phone for 20 days trying to ship this equipment back, they lie every time saying that it will be here in 5-10 days, still nothing. They lied about the price, ATT said 105.00 a month for phone, internet, and dish, it was never under 160 and even went as high as 180.00 a month. We finished out our contract and they owe us a 60.00 refund for a partial month. Ive been told by a few their waiting till after a 30 period to return the equipment and they they will keep our refund and bill us for not returning the equipment. Every phone call to them they lie and I have recorded every phone call to them. DO NOT TRUST ATT OR THE DISH NETWORK!!! Now a friend of mine has fallen to those offers of 29.00 a month and is going through the same thing. She is now paying 79.00 for 120 channels. RIP OFF. I have chosen to pursue this in a federal court.

• De
    Deborah G. Feb 12, 2014

I contacted Dish Network a few months ago, I spoke with a very nice, informative gentleman. He said in order to receive the discounted pricing he would have to run my credit to see if I qualified; I did. He then told me he had to transfer me to a "bundle expert" that would go over everything with me. Upon transfer the lady stated different pricing and different companies they would be partnering with to provide me service. They said AT&T would provide the land line and I objected because I have had service with AT&T for 7 1/2 yrs. I explained to her what the guy had told me, she said "he doesn't know what he is talking about, I am the bundle expert". My fiancé and I decided that because of her unprofessional rudeness, we would decline making any changes at that time and I told her this. A few days later, I received a call from an AT&T tech who was trying to hook up phone service. I told him I already had phone service, he was no to make any changes to my service or ph #. After speaking with him for several minutes, he said that AT&T must have gotten the order mixed up with another. It was not until yesterday when I received a call from Diversified Collections that AT&T had turned me over to collection on an account not only was NOT mine but for a ph # that was not even active. After 2 hrs on the phone with their fraud dept, they emailed me a letter stating that my bill had been credited $114.43 and they apologized for the inconvenience. I spoke with Diversified this morning and the amount AT&T turned over to collection isn't even the correct amount that was credited on this account.. Diversified said if AT&T does not adjust the correct amount that this account will be reported to the credit reporting agencies. How is it that ST&T can fraudulently open new service under my name and social # without my knowledge OR permission and then attempt to ruin my credit which is in very good standing at a 787 fico score? I didn't acquire this rating by being negligent. I have been advised to contact CPUC and the Federal Trade Commission office. What they have done is illegal/unlawful.

• De
    Deborah G. Feb 12, 2014

After several hrs of frustrating time spent being passed from one dept to another AT&T fraud dept emailed me a letter stating that the account opened under my info was adjusted and closed, the amount of the adjustment did not match the amount they turned over to collections against me. Keep in mind this is an account opened without my knowledge or consent. They now are telling me that the amount of the adjustment is $114.43 and I will have to deal with Diversified on the remaining $12.33. They committed a crime against me and in my opinion, this is considered fraud. If it were an individual committing such an act, we would be punished in the courts and would have to pay a fine, serve jail time or both. This is no different than someone stealing another persons identity; the only difference is we are dealing with AT&T who apparently is exonerated from being held accountable for committing identity theft or other criminal acts against individuals/consumers.

scam and cheating!

AT&T Wireless prints the web site on their card so that you can check your balance. Guess what - go to that...

cellphone of deceased

My 19 year old son was killed in a car accident Feb. 20, 2007. His girlfriend of five weeks stumbled opon the accident and ID his body. He left his wallet in her car earlier that day when they broke up and she left him on side of the road. All my son had on him was a belt, watch, and his cellphone. The police was useing his phone to try to ID him. After she ID him she asked for his phone and they gave it to her. The next day I had it disconnected. The representive told me I was the only one that could have it reconnected if I got possesion of the phone. Two weeks later the girlfriend had it reconnected in her name with a transfer of my sons service with Cingular. Which included his outgoing voice mail message and all of his personal and private information. I called Cingular and they told me there was nothing they could do because everyting is in her name now. My sons last bill also had a 36.00 reconnection fee charged to his account after his death.

giving me the runaround!

I put in an order for dish network with att, it required that I have a visa or mastercard to process the installation fee. I went out and bought a debit visa and put in $64.00, well now they say my order has been canceled and when I call to confirm either they don't pick up or they don't return my phone calls. That order was suppose to be on today, but yet nothing.

Terrible service!

• Wa
    watch-it Aug 24, 2014

How is it a person can change from basic service to a data plan, purchase a smart phone for 600.00 ( unrelated to the plan), pay 40.00 to activate, and then be charged an extra monthly fee simply because the expensive phone you bought and paid for is capable of utilizing the services you bought and paid for? What if you purchased a Kenmore refrigerator with an ice-maker, paid someone to hook it up, purchased the water it needed to operate, and sears wanted to charge you an additional monthly fee for the ice? Or say Buckle charges you a fee every time your teenager daughter uses the zipper on the 120.00 designer jeans she insisted on having? Your less fortunate friends/family don"t get a discount from the satellite or cable companies for only being able to afford 19-inch television. Think about it.

people need to know this story!

About several months ago I ordered internet service from At&t. I had heard from my friend that At&t had a...

reward not received

ATT Referral Program - www.attreferrals.com

I have referred two of my friends under ATT referral program which states that they will give $50 for internet service and $25 for any service referral. My ATT referral account shows my friends referral entries still they claim that they are not referred, the referral code is not used, they registered after taking the service etc and different reasons just without paying any amount.

Till now I cant understand how the entries gets added to my account if I haven't received them and most worst situation is I have ordered for services for my friends using my referral code in ATT website and they state that I have not used referral code which is shock to me.

refusing to pay getting then customers

AT&T - Rewards For Referrals
www.attreferrals.com

I am a disabled senior that lives in a manufactured mobile home community and the assisted manager. I have been assisting the residents with getting ATT as ISP verses what we have here as a alternative Charter Communications. We have 420 residents and a potential for AT&T many of these switching due to dissatisfaction with Charter.

I was told after I had already set up 5 or so accounts that AT&T had a rewards referral program and I would get $25 for each completed subscription or $50 if both Telephone and PC were added. I have since assisted 6 people and have received one reward of $25. I have called and informed them, it even shows 4 of these people on my account, and the people that have switched have made numerous calls in my behalf which some are in their late 80's and God bless them but this is not right for them to have to do this.!!!

3 of these are over a year. 2 of them not showing up at all. And one showing they received it on the 10th of Sept.

I just placed my last and final call to them spoke to a female Jay, I have the names of each person and I have called 9 times. Jay told me that since there is nothing on the system basically too bad. And there is nothing that can be done that I must not have turned them in.. LOL. totally bizzare.

I feel that I have been frauded and stolen from. I also do not charge for setting up people's account and tell that I get $25 if they respond to the email. Therefore they are more than willing and are not ignoring these they are looking for them. My last customer Roy wrote me yesterday and asked if I had heard anything as he has called and so have I and nothing we both have heard nothing. He was upset and put $25 in my mail box. This has caused embarrassment for myself and these people, plus its not fair to them at all to do this to them.

I do not know where to turn,

thinking about at&t or sbc yahoo dsl? don't do it!

Here's a good one! This guy comes to our door and says he can get us DSL as fast as our cable internet plus our phone for what we were paying for our cable internet. He calls in the order for their elite service and comparable phone service to what we had. He schedules the connection of the line by the phone people and tells us it is just flipping the switch and no one has to be there for it.

Turns out, we get a phone call stating that we DO have to be there, and so we have to re-arrange our vacation to be at home that day. The guy comes to do the hookup and they have to dig a trench and lay a new phone line, right across our driveway. The guy said another crew would be out to bury it in 5-7 days. It had been raining like mad for two weeks and the ground was mush, and they mudded it in, and I still have this huge hump where they screwed up my yard.

I plugged in the equipment with no problem. Lights lit up but no internet. Called tech support and they said it must be my computer. I know there is nothing wrong with the computer. After about 3 hours of working on the computer and adjusting settings I get it figured out. I do the speed test and it is testing at the Pro service levels ~3 meg service instead of the 5-7 megs we were promised. I call customer service and they tell me we were signed up for the lower service. The salesman had lied to us! They could give us the higher service but it would be the end of the week until they could get it adjusted. They promised to give it to us at the same price.

We get our first "adjusted" bill because a portion of the prior month is always on there and it is like $130. For service that is supposed to be $46.60 TOTAL, taxes and fees included. So I go through the roof and my wife called in and they tell my wife that the first bill is always higher and to pay it. Stupidly we did.

Next two months have been over $60! They say there is nothing they can do about it, that the salesman has been spoken to and the problem is corrected. Wha? Not for us it hasn't been. They are still charging us too high fees! My next step is an attorney friend of ours. She might be able to get something done for us. Lots more complications to this story but there's the skinny! Thinking about AT&T or SBC Yahoo DSL? Don't do it!

no one would listen to me at at&t

I got a call about 2 weeks ago from our Family Service Counselor at Sunrise Memorial Gardens. Now for everyone's information we are in the death care industry so it is very important for our main line to function properly. He told me that there was something wrong with the phone lines. Our current provider is at&t. So I asked him what the problem was? He said, "Well I can't get calls in and I can't check the voice mail on the main line." He said that you can't fax out and you can't receive faxes in on the fax line. But, when you call the fax line it rings on the main line. So we assumed that because of some bad weather that we had been having that the lines got crossed outside or something along that line. So, I called at&t customer repair. I talked with a customer service rep. and they connected me to one of the techs. in the area. So he said, "Yeah it must be the outside lines I will send someone out as soon as possible." So about 2 days later a tech came out. We tried the phone lines and it still didn't work. So I called at&t again and told them the problem and that it was not fixed. They said, ok we will send out another tech. By this time about a week has passed and finally another tech shows up to fix the lines. He leaves and we check the lines and they still aren't fixed. So again I call the phone company and proceed to get them to understand how important this matter is considering what kind of service we provide. Then they said that on 9/10/07 they would send a tech out to look at the inside of the building because they think that's where the problem is and not outside. So they go, ok we will send a tech out between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. This time no one ever even showed up at all no phone call or nothing!!!! So I call them and they tell me, oh I have no idea how come they didn't come out. We will send someone out on 9/11/07 to look at them again at about the same time they were supposed to on 9/10/07. Again today it's 9/11/07 and they never showed again. NO PHONE CALL OR ANYTHING!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS??? It has been about 2 weeks to get someone out from at&t to get the phone line fixed. I had to take time out again and call at&t to tell them that I need this fixed immediately and how ridiculous there customer service was. So here I sit after 2 weeks with no phone line at that location because I can't get any kind of help! All of our corporate offices use this phone company and how uneasy is it that we can't even get our phone lines fixed so a Funeral Home can call us to tell us about someone who is deceased because AT&T won't give me a straight answer or get the job done like keep telling me they are going to do.

• Da
    Dan McFall Nov 09, 2007

According to the person I talked to today at AT&T their new slogan is "If you don't like it go someplace else". I'm paraphrasing just a bit there... the actual quote from their tech supervisor was "If we are not meeting your needs, there are many other providers out there to choose from". WTF? At least in the old days they pretended to give a ### about their customers.

Background: We notified AT&T on OCT 10 that we would be moving our office effective Nov 2 and needed our phone lines and Fixed IP DSL moved on that day. Perhaps trying to show us how efficient they are they cut our phone lines at the old location promptly at 8am. Unfortunately it was 8am on Oct 1 and we were left with no phone or Internet the entire last day before the scheduled move.

Phone Lines were up and running at the new location by noon on Friday Nov 2 as scheduled except... oops. Only one of the office lines and the fax line has dial tone. No second line and no dsl. Called 611 and after they mentioned 4 times that there would be a $95 charge if a tech came out and the problem was on our side of the dmarc and I explained 4 times to them that we had no dial tone on the line at the dmarc and that they had just set the lines up the previous day they said they would send a tech out the next day.

Next morning tech shows bright and early. diagnoses a bad card somewhere back at the switching office and assigns a new pair and bingo dial tone. He then checks the dsl line and after going back through his order ticket says there is no dsl order in progress on this line. When we ordered the change back in October we were informed that there may be a few days delay in getting the DSL provisioned at the new location because of our desire to keep the same phone number and IP addresses at the new location. OK, fine, we're moving and getting stuff set up so not too much actual work time lost... Well now it seems that their definition of a few days means 8 to 14 business days.

After calling DSL tech support number and playing pick the menu for 10 minutes and then another 10 waiting for a supervisor of the first tier script reader, it was explained to me that it would take the biggest tel-com company in the world 8 to 14 more days to move our DSL service a mile and a half.(In addition to the three weeks prior to the move heads up we gave them when we ordered the change).

So after all this we are still SOL on the DSL for at least another week and I am once more left all warm and fuzzy by how well we are served by giant corporations who care so greatly for each and every one of us little people.

• Ry
    Ryan Mar 20, 2008

I was reading your post and thought to myself, self, this is exactly my experience that I have just gone through with AT&T for my residential phone. How hard could it be to get a phone line changed from one location to another, apparently a month and still screwing things up. I would like to mention, I am now a Verizon customer. Never again will I use AT&T for ANYTHING..

Sandip1353 May 22, 2014

I've had the same problem with att here in South Carolina.

welcome to the new att!

I've been an ATT, Southwestern Bell, & Bell South customer for over 40 years - well before the breakup and now remerger of the various systems. Quite a few years ago I designated ATT as my long distance provider through my local Bell South system to maintain continuity with my previous service. Since I make few long distance calls and use my cell phone to do so (also have ATT cell service), I decided to notify ATT (formerly Bell South) that I wanted to discontinue this designation. This would save me over $8/month. Note that this billing charge is just for having designated ATT as my carrier and does not include any actual long distance call service time. No problem, "There will just be a one time charge of $2.50 to make this change." So they're charging me to quit charging me. I was getting ready to switch to DSL broadband service, but now...??! Cingulair is now ATT. Bell South is now ATT. Welcome to the new ATT.

this is really crappy service!

One of the things that is really annoying about AT&T a.k.a SBC a.k.a Pacific Bell etc... is that now when you bring up their web based email you have to sort though adds all over the screen. I could expect this from a free service like google but on that I am paying for and I still am forced to sort though adds. This is really crappy service.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices