AT&T / never received rebate!

I ordered AT&T's high speed internet as part of a package on 8/31/07. As soon as I received my equipment I connected it and returned my rebate card with the sticker attached exactly as instructed. This was approximately September 7th. I began checking the status of the rebate in November because I had not received it. I was told at that time that it would be processed in December and to check back then. I called back in December and was told a check would be mailed on December 27th. After three weeks when I did not receive a check I called back in January. At that time I was told that because my service was ordered on the cusp of a change over it was "misplaced." Furthermore the representative told me that instead of a check of $79.00 check I would receive a $50 Visa gift card. I told them that was unacceptable and that I was promised a rebate for the equipment and that's what I wanted. He said he would resubmit the request for a check rebate and to check back in a week. I called back toward the end of January and spoke to another rep who told me the rebate would be processed the first part of February. It is 3/8/08 and I have still not received a check and when checking the website I received a message that they could find no record of my request. After holding for thirty minutes I spoke with a representative to who told me a check was mailed yesterday. I feel like I have been fed the line "the check's in the mail." If I do not receive the check I will call them back, but even if I do receive a check the way AT&T handle this matter was unacceptable. They lure people in by offering them rebates and deals that they fail to deliver. Then it is up to the consumer to try to straighten out a mess that they created -- presumably in hope that the customer will get tired and give up. This is not the only issue I had with AT&T regarding the service I ordered. They also misinformed me regarding service from the Dish Network that also took six months, repeated phone calls -- transferring from one rep to another and extreme frustration to straighten out. AT&T needs some lessons on customer satisfaction.

Comments

• Ji
      8th of Mar, 2008

I too ordered high speed interenet service from att. I oplaced my order at an att store here in town on October 7th, 2007. I was told to submit the rebate for that would come with my modem for my $50.00 rebate check. No form came with the modem. I went back to the att store and spoke with the sales associate who helped me. She gave me a new form to mail in along with coipes of all the documebtation I would need. I mailed it in on October 25th. I checked on line for my rebate status on November 11th, and it was not there. When I called the rebate centere they said that I had not ent one in. I said yes I did and sent them by fax copies of everything I had sent in. They said it would be researched and I would recieve a call back. I never recieved a call back but on January 17th I looked on line just for fun to see if my rebate status had been updated and it showed that I must claim my rebate reward by January 21st. I claimed it right then and there. So I thought that finally Im gettin my check. I checked back 2 days later and the rebate center site said my reward would be fullfilled by Febuary 7th. I called and asked what that meant and they said the day the check is scheduled to go out. It is now March 8th and I went to the mailbox and still no check. This is just getting redicuolous. When am I going to get my money becasue sure as heck if I owed att $50.00 they wouldnt wait around 4 months to collect from me!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Ju
      11th of Mar, 2008

I too am getting shafted by AT&T over the high speed internet rebate. I ordered my service in August 2007. It was activated on Sept. 4, 2007. I immediately sent back the required Rebate Activation Sticker as directed. When I tried to follow up online, I got the message that my rebate request had not entered the system so I called and was told it would take 6 to 8 weeks. The first week of November 2007 I called and was told that they had no record of my request so I gave the rep all the information and she said it would be processed in 6 to 8 weeks. No check arrived, so I called on January 2, 2008, and was told by "Laurie" (ID #22032) that my claim had been denied, but that she would escalate my claim and it would take 6 to 8 weeks. I waited for a check, which never came, and called again today, March 11, 2008, only to be told by "Pauline" (ext. # 20859) that my claim had been denied on January 6 because I had never paid for a modem. I read to her from my bill the line item HSI Modem Package Charge Service date 9-4-07 for $49.99 which I most certainly paid. Pauline said she was submitting my claim for reprocessing and it would take 4 to 6 weeks. I am not going to wait 6 to 8 weeks again. I am going to wait one week and call back to see whether it has been denied again and if it is not resolved immediately, call back every single day until I get my rebate. I want to know how many people are getting shafted in this way. Just think - if AT&T does this to, say, 10,000 people across the country, that gives them $500,000 that they get to "borrow" from their customers for months and months absolutely interest free. What a racket!!! There ought to be a law. If I were more legally savvy, I would file a class action suit!