AT&T / scam and stealing

United States Review updated:

I had 2 phone lines with AT & T. In May of 2008, I changed one (2378) to another company, with unlimited long distance and cable internet, and use that one for calls. I kept the other line (9744) to use as a computer and fax dedicated line. The fax has no phone, and has been unused for several months.

The dial-up was also removed later. In June, ATT correctly billed 9744 at $13.40. In July, they billed $95.65. I called and challenged the charges, and discovered they were for calls made on the other phone (2378). I was told the porting might not have been completed, contact the other provider, and the billing will be correct the next month.

However, in July, the charges were over $200, and were drafted from my checking account. Again, the calls were ones made on the 2378 phone, and when I complained to my bank, they reversed the draft. I verified that the only device connected to the 9744 line was the dormant fax. (There was no physical way to make calls on the 9744 line.) I just got billed $374.87 for calls made on the 2378 line(in August), and a notice that the current month (October) has a bill for $134.

This is a nightmare! ATT is ripping me off, and I can't even understand how they can achieve this???(I'm a tech, and the inference of fraudulent deviant use of technology seriously frightens me... as well as stealing money needed to pay my bills.)
Va

Comments

Ja
  25th of Feb, 2009
This appears to be their standard operating practice. I am so sick of dealing with AT&T that I am willing to pay MORE for a different provider. Everytime they call I know I am about to get screwed again. How is this legal?
Ju
  20th of May, 2009
Is there any way we can do something?
Or we just have to accept that there is nothing to do against such a big corporation?

AT & T is legally stealing money from thousands of people and in this global crisis is worse.

Will make me very happy if I can do something to prevent that behavior in a "free" country.

Juan C. Gomez