AT&T Advertising & Publishing / refused to cancel print ad

1 Greenfield, WI, United States Review updated:

Was given a 'Telemarketer' sales rep. out of MI this past summer (2008) and when I got around to calling her back, well before closing date, to let her know I was canceling ad this year (ineffective advertising and cut costs significantly) I never heard from her in return. Also sent a letter of cancellation to Corporate offices in Brookfield, WI to confirm cancellation, NO RESPONSE. But I thought all was ok... never received a new packet, or contract except for my Yellowpages.com Web-Site forms. I decided to keep that going because it is cheap. But when I looked in the new Phone Book, what was there? My AD! Now I am stuck with trying to resolve this on my own and not being able to get through to ANYBODY to try and help me out with this. The only ones who call me are the reps in Billing, trying to collect money from me I don't have in these unfortunate trying times. What a horrible thing to have to deal with!

5y

Comments

• Kd
      18th of Mar, 2009

att yellow pages dooped me into a contract that I didn't want to renew--- after I made my final payments I informed them in writing and email and by phone that I was done advertising with them--
    no one contacted me-- so I thought =-cool we are done--
    well - I get a registered letter on Jan 8th-- telling me that since they have been unable to contact me they are renewing my contract for the next year ( at around $700) and unless the recieved notice in writing by Dec 28th ( the week BEFORE) that they would consider it a contract?????? well - of course they are running around circles trying to say the mail was slow--- WHATEVER-- I didn't ask for the ad-- I'm not paying for it... they don't even have my name correct ( and have not had the right one for over 7 years) so a contract on me seems a little far fetched---- their deceptive acts should be prosecuted... I hope someone takes them down--- they have gotten too big for their britches--- my parents are senior citizens and could no longer afford long distance ( unless they wanted to give up heat) so they canceled their long distance and ATT charged them a fee to cancel??????? CROOKED

• Kd
      18th of Mar, 2009

ATT sucks

• At
      28th of May, 2009

A sales rep from this AT & T called last summer to place an ad in their directory and online advertising. I agreed so she recorded voice verification and promised to send my agreement in the mail. The next day I called to cancel, as legally you have three days to cancel an agreement. I did not hear back from her nor did I get an agreement in the mail the following week so assumed my ad was cancelled. When yellowpages.com called several weeks later is when I knew my ad was published. I did not mention the cancellation phone call since the ad was published in the phone directory and online. I wanted to work things out. The online ad was not written correctly after several phone calls trying to correct it. Wanted my online ad canceled immediately as it was taking too long to correct and receiving several annoying calls from other online advertising offering their service free. The online ad was finally cancelled. I was going to pay for the print ad only as my rep charged me for the online ad when in fact advertisers get the yellow page listing free with publication in phone book. I continued to get bills and phone calls from AT & T without correction to my account. My sales rep was very rude to me on the phone when I wanted my bill corrected. In addition, she could not find voice verification, never sent an agreement as promised (or sent it to wrong address) and would not fix the problem with the bill. She also misrepresented the advertising verification. Finally, after several phone calls and incorrect bills from AT & T, I was given claims number to correct problem myself. They tried to negotiate but at that point after negligence by AT & T and hassled with quite a few calls and incorrect bills, I did not want to pay or at least at a much reduced rate. Long story short, claims found voice verification and now they are aggressive about considering taking my account to collection. I have a perfect record.

Please consider the facts.
    The next day after agreeing and recorded voice verification -1) I called to cancel, as legally you have three days to cancel an agreement. 2) Sales rep did not respond to cancelation the next day 3) Sales rep never sent an agreement as promised or sent to the wrong address. 4) The online ad was not written correctly after several phone calls trying to correct it and finally cancelled. 5) Sales rep would not correct bill to delete online charge 5) Sales rep misrepresented the advertising verification as advertisers get the yellow page listing free with publication in phone book. 6) AT & T continued to hassle me with phone calls and incorrect bills. 7) Sales rep could not find the voice verification. 8) Claims agreed to a 50% adjustment of $180 but by that time they did not have my credibility due to the run around and negligence by AT & T.

Hope by sharing my experience with A T & T advertising will prevent others from such a devastating experience. The problem is still not resolved!

• At
      28th of May, 2009

I have experienced similar problems with AT & T Advertising and Publication as well! Many others I know are in the same boat. Maybe if more people share their expereince with AT & T Advertising and Publishing, they would eventually get their act together.
    Thank you for sharing your story.

30th of Jun, 2009

We own a small construction company, started 4 years ago. AT & T sales reps came to our home office, signed us up for a 1/2 pg black and white on year 1. It didn't provide the return on investment that they had promised. Year 2, they convinced us to go 1/2 page "full color" and do a more agressive advertising campaign. Didn't work. Year 3, we wanted to cancel all expensive advertising, it wasn't working...when they double teamed us and 'somehow' doing what they do best which I describe as deceptive sales tactics to talk us into a FULL PAGE/FULL Color, we expressed our extreme worry over the cost of this ad, but as usual they pulled out all the stops, and guaranteed results. Year 4, we were now $22, 000 behind, told them "NO" straight up, they asked that I go into their office to sign the papers to change or illiminate all ads, leaving only bold listings, they again not only double teamed me, but my husband as well, kept us in interagation for 4 hrs with lies as always. After thinking about it over the weekend, I called right away to cancel it, just as I originally planned, but after several attempts couldn't reach the sales lady or manager. After 2 weeks, finally got a response, saying 'too late'...now we are being sued. YELLOWBOOK isn't as bad, but we tried to cancel an ad with them last year, our request came back with a date stamp of 'May 15th" stating we were too late to cancel, the deadline was May 14th.!!! *We hear and see so many complaints about this criminal company, yet there appears to be no real help against this monster corporation.

• Ve
      8th of Jul, 2009

Many people have a devasting expereince doing business with AT & T Advertising Solutions. You need to file a complaint with Better Business Bureau in St. Louis, MO where AT & T Ad. Solutions legal department is located. 314-645-3300. AT & T legal department will work with you to resolve your issue.

12th of Aug, 2009

Thank you, I will do that.

• Iv
      29th of Aug, 2009

Everything written in this thread is correct. AT&T Advertising Solutions is a horrible company with many deceptive practices. I worked with this company for 6 months and could not take it anymore. The problem starts from the top down. Pressure is on everyone to minimize loss at the company so managers and reps will both hide losses and renew existing customers without trying to contact them. My advice is to stay away!!! They keep very reputable lawyers on their books to go after customers who dispute their bills (right or wrong). If you are the unfortunate business owner who has been taken advantage of, then you will pay a ton in lawyer fees just to justify at&t's negligance and shady business practices. Sad but true it is almost cheaper to pay the contract than fight it. Do not do business with these people.

• Re
      15th of Feb, 2010

I am sorry that you are not happy with yellow book. I was looking online found a website that you can have a ebillboard for FREE. Just go to seekshallfind.com. I was talking to my friend Jake he sign up for a ebillboard. He told me that he is glad that he got a ebillboard. His business just moved to a new building he went to change this info with yellow book and was on hold for 35 Minutes waiting for someone to talk to. When he went to his ebillboard and change his info and it took him just few minutes.

• Dr
      15th of Feb, 2010

What happened to me was because of slow business this past year and not being able to keep up with the monthly payments they require, when renewal time came in Nov and hoping to just scale down on this coming year, the option they gave me was to pay half of what I Owed plus prepay for the whole upcoming year with a new phone number that they had control over if I got behind on payments, this all came to about 8000.00 which I didnt have, so I had no choice, unable to renew to be in the upcoming book. Well at least I would still be in the directory and White Pages if someone is looking for our business, so I thought. some how, some one called and canceled my phone service even though I m the only one Authorizd to do so, so I thought, Being the Holidays and thinking the people are watching their money when the phones slowed down I didnt think too much about it until one of my previous customers call my cell phone to contact me because my Gainesville phone number was not working, At once I called and come to find out it got disconneted just in time to miss the publishing deadline, so now here we are with out any phone number anywhere.
    I think this was pretty low thing to do to a business which had be a customer for the past thirteen years.

• Da
      11th of Apr, 2010

AT and T offered the use of a 'catchy 'URL, owned by ATand T, to be prominently placed in my printad. We prepared an advertisement around the catchy URL which would be pointed to my website. After the contract was signed and the print deadline passed, I was informed by my rep that AT and T would not point the catchy URL to my website, that I would have to go to godaddy to get that done. When I contacted Godaddy they informed me that AT and T no longer owned the catchy URL. It had been taken by someone on the day the registration lapsed. I called my rep and she said she had learned of this also and she was physically sick about it. She offered to purchase the URL from the owner at her own expense but AT and T would not allow it. They offered to reimburse me for the $500.00 purchase of the URL but would only agree to a 35% reduction of my bill for the 5 months that the URL was defunct. Again, the URL was the majority of the ad. I just learned about the ad solutions legal dept. on this website. Bless you for the info. So you think anyone gets satisfaction from that legal dept.?

• Cd
      10th of Jul, 2010

I have had a similar experience - unethical selling practices, going live with unapproved ads despite my protests - rude and unhelpful representatives, numerous people representing themselves as AT&T representatives who all have one goal - the upsell. No one cares about troubleshooting issues or helping customers. They are bullies and need a class action suit against them!

26th of Jan, 2011

I posted a comment on this board approximately 18 months ago expressing my deepest regrets doing business with AT&T / Bellsouth Advertising due to their deceptive practices. Even though we felt that we were completely dupped and do not owe the money that they want, we had no choice but to give them a monthly payment to hold them off, at least until they ended up suing us. We would not sign there paperwork (we learned not to trust them) and it's now in court. Now, with all the additional fees, etc... our total bill for our mom and pop, small and broke company is a whooping $55k, and thats for only about 16 months of advertising !!! We had to sell all our assets to hire a lawyer in order to delay them until we figure out what to do.

Keep in mind that they have other businesses (i.e.: phone, cell, internet, etc...) and all of them are run the same, good for them, bad for the consumer who get's reeled in by them.

Last year, due to other billing descrepencies, we cancelled all relations, including phone, cell and internet with that company and we warn as many people of our experience as well. We have family who is also having issues with them. **It's our experience that they are a bad company and they will get you, make your life, your company and family miserable. They will shut you down and bankrupt you and all the lawyers that we spoken with say that Bellsouth / At&t sues just about EVERYONE! They are known as HELLSOUTH by many for a reason.

• Pa
      29th of Mar, 2011

Last year I was contacted by a sale rep from at & t advertising solution; he claimed that their company can help my small business to grow big in no time even in this bad economy so I decided to go to this meeting and learn more about their offer. When I got there I met two sales reps that one of them was so good at advertising their business and he was so convincing that I was deceived. He succeeded in getting me to this trap they had set for me when finally signed a one year contract with them. As soon as my ad started to run according to their claim they sent us a bill; so I called them and said I don't see my Ad anywhere in any of the search engines that you put my Ad in and they said you will not be able to see your Ad which was completely opposite to what the sale rep promised us. So I contacted customer service and found out that everything that the sale rep promised us, were false; So I requested to cancel my contract with them, but they refused and said once the contract was signed they can not cancel it. I informed them via several communications with them through phone and email that I am not paying them, so they filed my business name to a collection agency to collect the money that they claim I owe ( for doing NoTHING! since I never saw my Ad in non of the search engines that they promised they put my Ad in)