Aspen Dental / deep cleaning scam

1 Findlay, OH, United States Review updated:

I went to aspen dental with my "free x-rays and cleaning" coupon...I did get my x-rays, but they said they could *not* clean my teeth because I needed a "deep cleaning" procedure that would cost over $700 (the procedure sounded lengthy and painful, so I never even considered it).
There other costs were very high, so I ended up at another dental office anyways. I was actually stupid enough to let them "fix" one of my teeth...they only did half of a root canal and charged me over $700 for that, and never put a crown or anything on the tooth.

2 months later my daughter who is only 23 years old went to aspen in another city, and they claimed that she could not have her teeth cleaned either...guess what?, she needed the "deep cleaning" procedure at over $700 (funny, she had her teeth cleaned less than a year before that at another regular dental office).

Not only is Aspen Dental overpriced (despite their commercials which make you feel otherwise...they present themselves as "affordable" and definitely are not), but I think they have a scam going for this "deep cleaning" procedure. This is a very lengthy procedure that involves using numbing agents and pulling the gums away from your teeth and scraping the teeth below the gums. I do not believe that many people would need such a procedure and it is just another way that Aspen Dental is trying to rip off the consumer.

DO NOT GO TO ASPEN DENTAL, go anywhere else...but not there.

Comments

• Al
      16th of Mar, 2010

Hi Beckie,

I’m sorry to hear that you weren’t satisfied with your recent experience at Aspen Dental.

Please know that it is not uncommon for two (or three) dental care professionals to look at the same patient and offer different treatment recommendations. This does not mean that one professional is right and the other is wrong, rather it is a reflection of what each dentist believes is the best course of treatment for that particular patient. We encourage patients to ask questions of the dentist to fully understand the recommended course of treatment so that they are able to make an informed choice about what is best for them.

If you have any questions or would like to discuss your experience with a member of our patient satisfaction team, please call 1-866-273-8606 or patientservices@aspendent.com.

• Sj
      16th of Mar, 2010

Well, if you think the procedure is a scam just because it is lenghty and supposedly painfull, then all extractions, root canals, sometimes even filling, shpould be scams too. If you have questions about the procedure, have any concerns -- ask the doctor -- they are more than willing to answer all your questions and educate you about your mouth health. Then you would not have to complain here.

26th of Mar, 2010

Today, I went to River City Dental in Roseville. I was told that I can NOT have the 39 dollar cleaning they advertise because I need a DEEP CLEANING procedure costing over 600 dollares. I was at another dentist 2 days earlier getting a white filling to replace the silver one. He said you need a cleaning. It cost 90 dollars. he did talk about a deep claening. He says brush your teeth 3 times a day.

2nd of Feb, 2011

You get what you pay for...

• He
      20th of Mar, 2014

When patients have an excessive amount of build-up underneath the gum-line, it's essential that they get what's called Scaling and Root Planing. A regular cleaning can be done, unethically, but it will not help the patient in the long run. Unfortunately, it sounds like you are one of the patients who needs to have the "deep cleaning". It is a deeper cleaning than what a healthy patient would need, and yes, it does cost more. If you choose not to receive appropriate treatment, then there could be more problems in the future, depending. Anyway, don't ignore your health! This isn't a scam just because it is something you haven't heard of before. Plenty of dentists prescribe this type of cleaning. The type of treatment a patient is prescribed depends on what an individual dentist thinks is best.

• Ri
      16th of Oct, 2018

It's a scam when the dentist refuses to pull a tooth unless you agree to thousands of dollars worth of work that can wait till the next visit and I am willing to bet this is ALWAYS the case but what's the problem, right? It's only your money and cost is no object.