American Mall Model Search / Great Experience

1 Columbia, MO, United States Review updated:

My daughter is 2 years old and is currently going through the process. We have completed the initial walk on the runway, the photo shoot, and we are now practicing for the talent portion. This has been a wonderful experience thus far. We had an amazing photo shoot with 3 looks for only $270.00. If you do some research, a photo shoot is normally double that. The people that we are working with are amazing. No matter what happens this has been a great bonding experience and we have some wonderful pictures. I am sorry to those of you who did not make it with the company but that is how this business works. Every agency, whether modeling or talent, will have people complaining because of loss of money or no work. It is simply a try-out.

Ra

Comments

• Ni
      14th of Oct, 2010

You are never to pay any money at a talent search. You only pay for pictures with the agency when you win a contract with them.

• Co
      9th of Mar, 2011

How long did it take to get your pictures after you paid? the catwalk and skit or song audition is next. Hearing alot of negative feed but millions of participates so the others must be happy. Someone let me know

• Te
      24th of Apr, 2011

My daughter just recently did this and made it through to the final round and won a year's contract, we are currently waiting for our packet. I got to say people really don't know the industry. When I asked if we could use our own pictures I was told yes we could, and from my own experience with modeling I know there are certain expenses that go along with modeling or acting. One of those expenses is photos. We only got the one look for our daughter and for 15 shots for $150 that is a bargain. You get the copy right to them and can have what ever you need printed off. We got our pictures about a week after her photo shoot. Business cards are the next thing we will be having printed up for our daughter, because she is going to need them. She has picked her favorite picture and we are starting out having 10 8x10s printed up, so she has her photos ready to go.
    Once our contract is in, we get partnered with a booking agent. Who will contact us weekly with a list of potential jobs. With this information, you have to do some work, like sending your head shots and body shots to the casting agent. You have to go on auditions, and get yourself there. There are costs when you act or model, but the jobs pay covers the costs and some of the jobs provide transportation, and lodging. I think most of the complaints I am seeing on this board are people who are mad their children didn't make it through, or they fully didn't understand what it takes to help your kid succeed. There are cost when you are self employed, but the great thing about those costs are they become tax deductions.

• Ej
      5th of May, 2011

First, I spoke to Carolyn (520-455-3426), the owner of the company when I first got the call about my daughter auditioning. Tonya put her on the phone. I specifically asked, "After the runway initial audition, do you then ask us to buy anything like photos?" Her reply was along the lines of "...we are not a modeling agency. we do not train, we do not have modeling classes, we just represent the stores in the mall like Aeropostale, Macy's and get paid by the malls across America to advertise their clothes. At the same time, we take all of our photos and videos of the contestants and forward them to all of the major modeling agencies. We do not charge you anything if you are chosen to advance in the competition."
    I then asked again, "So do you require a fee paid photo-shoot to advance?" Her answer was emphatically, "No!" She said that at the competition, there will be photographers and videographers and they would probably sell you their photos for $10 apiece. But that’s between you and them.
    Satisfied with her answers that this was not your typical "sell fame and charge for services" SCAM, I took my daughter to the Mall.
    Of course she was chosen along with everyone else that showed up (accept for one person who I suspect is a shill).
    Now comes the real story. The producer said, "Although your daughter has been selected, she cannot advance without spending a minimum of $150 for online photos by our photographer or $300 for a book of the photos." I indicated that I have professional photos and she has professionally modeled and I would bring in her Bio/Resume and her portfolio. He said, "I don't care how good she is or experienced she is or how good her portfolio is, I guaranty that she will not get chosen to advance without buying one of these packages.
    I conveyed to him about my conversation with the owner, Carolyn and he told me, "send everything to her then, but I guaranty that she will not get chosen to advance without buying one of these packages."
    I argued that, "If you are truly looking for talent, then why would you restrict your search to the less talented just because they are paying?"
    He said in a gruff and irritated voice, "Look! You just don't get it. Do you know people at Ford Modeling Agency? We do and if you want a chance to get there, then you need to buy one of these packages." and walked away.
    As you can see, this is a scam. I've always had an agent in the entertainment business and they never charged me a dime until after I was booked and paid. They got a percentage.
    Their business model is full of lies and misrepresentation and unethical business practices if not downright illegal.
    I am contemplating a class action suit against this very large company and for those of you who have lost money, lost time, suffered family grievances due to the emotional upheaval of a child’s dreams, feel free to let me know at "ejtopp at in dot com"
    Perhaps we can force them and others like them to behave in a legitimate manner or shut down.
    By the way, the only positive statements on this blog are probably originated by AMMS under false names and locations.

• Li
      31st of Aug, 2011

To the person who wrote the review entitled "Idiots", I would just like to say that it is not true that they will use a portfolio that you already have!! We just got home from what they called an "AUDITION" on the phone and I tell you, it is just like everyone on this board has said. First off, it was at the mall in Dallas, the "runway" was set up, they had the kids go up say their name, age, and a few lines they gave them. Once that was finish, guess what? Everyone who showed up "WON" and everyone was told to get in line to PAY for a portfolio to advance on in now what they called a "COMPETITION" First off they did not mention anyone else would be at this "AUDITION" and they did not mention it was any kind of COMPETITION or we had to pay minimum $150 for photos. Next to address the "IDIOT" post, we got to the front of the line and told them we had a portfolio and headshots and we were told it HAD to be done by their photographer or it wouldn't be a fair competition. What a crock of SH**!!! This is a major scam, if you see the boxes to sign up for this company or if you get a call from them, you can not hang up quick enough!! I am glad I knew enough (although definately not everything) about this business to know that it was complete bullsh**! They are preying off the community and good hearted parents that want the best for their kids, but trust me, this does nothing for the kids, it just puts a hole in your bank account!
    Valley View Mall, Dallas, Tx.
    ""