American Express / no consumer protection!

1 WA, United States Review updated:
Phone: (800) 327-2177

We called American Express about a transaction with Royal Holiday (Travel Experience), a Mexican timeshare company. We canceled our contract with Royal Holiday within the 5 day time period allowed. We heard nothing from Royal Holiday, except too bad we have your money. We then contacted the Mexican Government which required Royal Holiday sign an agreement agreeing to refund our money and cancel the contract. Royal Holiday sent us one of the four payments required. We requested American Express to credit our card for the remaining money due.

Dealing with American Express has not been much better. Our initial contact with American Express was great, but then the case is then sent to their disputes department. We were promised a call from the disputes department within 48 hours. We have called American Express multiple times and each time they make the same promise ,we will call you back in 48 hours. It has been 8 months now and we have yet to get a call from the American Express disputes department.

We have sent them numerous letters outlining all the points of our complaint. They have not addressed any of the issues and send us back a form letter saying they have spoken with the company and can do nothing.

I have asked them why they deal with a company like Royal Holiday that has thousands of complaints on line and F rating with the BBB. I have yet to hear a response.

It would seem to me that American Express is a willing partner in fraud with their partner, Royal Holiday. It seems if a company is large enough, American Express is willing to look the other way on fraud.

American Express has a copy of the agreement between the Mexican Government's consumer protection unit, Profeco and Royal Holiday acknowledging that Royal Holiday has agreed to cancel the contract, yet they still have failed to respond.

If you believe American Express's propoganda, that you are protected with American Express, think again. When it comes to travel protection leave American Express at home.

Comments

8th of Oct, 2008

Boycott American Express as they SUCK. Try a FREE, no annual fee card at your local credit union. You will save a ton of money and get much better service.

Have you ever tried to complain to anyone in customer service at A.E.? Can't be done. Complaints are handled by letter. You can not speak to the executive office, the executive secretary, the executive secretary's assistant, etc. So don't even ask to speak to someone with authority. Simply put your concern in writing so they can throw the letter away.

• Gr
      17th of Jul, 2010

I have to disagree with this conversation thread. JD Powers has awarded AMEX best in customer satisfaction for 3 years straight. Not knowing the actual details of the time-share issue, please remember that a time-share includes a legally binding contract between two parties. A credit card company is simply a billing agent that authorizes payment for the agreement between the parties. A credit card company is not in a position to void or alter a contract. The only recourse the 3rd party would have would focus on either a clear written misrepresentation of the product sold, or if the cancellation was done as stipulated within the terms and conditions of the contract. If the contract stated a 5 day cancellation period, it probably also stipulated a method of cancellation, such as written cancellation via registered mail or other method of validating the cancellation date. Remember, anyone can type a letter and put a date on top of a letter, but without some proof it was mailed within the cancellation timeframe, a 3rd party billing agent would have no recourse to reverse the charge. I have been a AMEX cardmember since 1979 or 80, and have to say that with all the credit cards I carry, I would use my AMEX Card with assurance of a certain level of protection, before I would use any other I have. My question is, what level of protection would there be in paying cash, check card, or check? Again, I'm not a professional in the area of the subject matter - just offering an opionion on the subject from a consumers perspective.

• Ll
      27th of Feb, 2012

Amex Customer Service is a joke and their operation seems like scam. My aged inlaws were hit with a Costco membership through Amex and it took several letters just to close the Amex Account but they still have not removed the bogus charges. Whay would anyone use Amex when a regular credit card is much better and offeres extended payments. Their fees are huge and rewards program a scam. They offer many incentives but in the end deliver very little. Ours was for air travel mileage, but the restrictions were so great that using the points was practically impossible. BOYCOTT AMERICAN EXPRESS they are a sham company