American Express / no consumer protection!
We called American Express about a transaction with Royal Holiday (Travel Experience), a Mexican timeshare company. We canceled our contract with Royal Holiday within the 5 day time period allowed. We heard nothing from Royal Holiday, except too bad we have your money. We then contacted the Mexican Government which required Royal Holiday sign an agreement agreeing to refund our money and cancel the contract. Royal Holiday sent us one of the four payments required. We requested American Express to credit our card for the remaining money due.
Dealing with American Express has not been much better. Our initial contact with American Express was great, but then the case is then sent to their disputes department. We were promised a call from the disputes department within 48 hours. We have called American Express multiple times and each time they make the same promise ,we will call you back in 48 hours. It has been 8 months now and we have yet to get a call from the American Express disputes department.
We have sent them numerous letters outlining all the points of our complaint. They have not addressed any of the issues and send us back a form letter saying they have spoken with the company and can do nothing.
I have asked them why they deal with a company like Royal Holiday that has thousands of complaints on line and F rating with the BBB. I have yet to hear a response.
It would seem to me that American Express is a willing partner in fraud with their partner, Royal Holiday. It seems if a company is large enough, American Express is willing to look the other way on fraud.
American Express has a copy of the agreement between the Mexican Government's consumer protection unit, Profeco and Royal Holiday acknowledging that Royal Holiday has agreed to cancel the contract, yet they still have failed to respond.
If you believe American Express's propoganda, that you are protected with American Express, think again. When it comes to travel protection leave American Express at home.
More American Express Complaints & Reviews
- American Express - canceled card with no notice 
- American Express - debt collection 
- American Express - interest rate increase 
- Your Centurion Card - fraud 
- American Express - penalty for paying bill early 
- American Express Travel Related Services Company - complain
- American Express - discrimination 
- American Express Travel Related Services Company - expired gift certificates
- American Express Travel Related Services Company - perfect credit/25 year member amex cancelled
- American Express Travel Related Services Company - my card