American Express / harrasing phone calls

I was late one month on my American Express, and the next month I received a phone call from their law department demanding the full amount. The lady on the phone was so rude, and said if I didn't pay the full amount at that moment I would be taken to court. I hung up and tried contacting customer service, and they said they could not do anything about my account. The same lady from the law department called me 10 times in a row, and left harrasing messages. In one message she stated that if I didn't call back to settle this matter I would be sorry. I had to pay the full amount for 30 days past due, and no apology was given to me for their representatives behavior. After I paid the full amount I was still receiving statements for finance charges and late fees. According to them it was from previous month fees. This was very unprofessional of them, and was very shocked at the way American Express treats their customers.

Comments

• Me
      9th of Oct, 2008

One of the problems with American Express is the way they apply payments. I have been with the company close to 20 years. I am lately regretting it. I normally charge about $3000 every month (gas, groceries, everything) to the card since I pay it every month. Well, last month I got a $15.00 charge denied. I called the company, and I was told that because I "had been late" for 12 months, they had flagged my account. "Late for 12 months? What are you talking about? I always pay by the due date on line". It was explained to me that when the bill says "Pay By" or "Due Date" that such is not so. If you pay that day on line, the payment does not post but until 24-48 hours, and therefore it is technically "late." Thus, paying on the due date on line is worthless! I told this to the representative, and all I was told is that such is the way it is, take it or leave it. I left it. Now I have a Diners Club Mastercard that serves the same purpose.

9th of Jul, 2009

My name is Sandra Rita da Silva and I am from Brasil. I would like to complain about the treatment that I have received when I tried to obtain a present that was my right (bonus program). This took me several hours speaking with their employees on the fone and on
    the computer, but I could not have success. I think they are trying to deceive me.
    My email is sandrapelii@gmail.com . Could someone help me?

• Am
      15th of Jun, 2012

I am having a similar experience. The problem I'm having is that I DO NOT have an american express account, Nor has anyone ever had permission to use my checking account to pay a bill. Three months ago my checking account was overdrafted by american express because they inputed the wrong account number and credited someones card. I have been on the phone with AE and was told that it was being investigated and I would be refunded by May 31, 2012. Here it is the middle of June and all they can tell me is that they have determined the account my money was posted to. But will not tell me when I'll get my money back. At first they refused to help me because I told them I didn't have a AE account. Now all they keep saying is the accounting dept will contact me. I have threatend legal action because all they do is give me the run around. No one has called me and when I call I'm given a different date of when the case will be settled.