American Express / awful fraud

1 United States

I've been an American Express holder since 1992 (Green card). About 2004/5 I opted for the AE Costco card for the 3%, 2%, 1% cash back program. In Mar '09 I talked with an AE rep about the AE Blue card, which advertises 5% cash back, and completed an over-the-phone application. I was told AE would transfer the balance (zero, as I pay in full each month) from my Costco card to the new card. When I received the Blue card I noted it was the same number as the Costco card, so was not really a new account. The literature informed me - for the first time - the Blue card reward was 1% cash back for the first $6, 500.00, and the 5% cash back kicked in at $6, 501.00. I called AE and voice my feelings over not being informed of this at the time I applied, but got nowhere. I told AE I wanted to revert to my old Costco account, they said they could not do that, I'd have to open a new Costco account if I wanted it. I did so. A few weeks later I received my new Costco card. AE had cut my limit from $11, 000 to $2, 000. When I called to ask why, I was told that's the limit for NEW accounts. I argued that the only thing new here was the number on the card. No joy, AE insisted that I would have to wait three months before I could request an increase and that would be limited to $6, 000. Then I'd have to wait another six months before I could request another increase. The rep said there was no guarantee I'd get the first increase much less the second. I've always paid my monthly bill in full PLUS what I know I've charged after the statement was mailed. I can see no legitment reason for AE to cut me off at the knees like this. What really pisses me off is that my wife is home for her daughters wedding, but I can't afford to go.

It is my opinion that AE tricks members into applying for the Blue card by advertising the 5% cash back reward, then switches them to lower limits if they decide to send the Blue card back when they find out they've been scammed.

I've written snail mails to the top three corporate officers, and one email and one snail mail to the office in charge of issuing cards and approving limits. The letters all went out by Mar 30, 09, today is Apr 18, 09. I have yet to receive a reply from any of them.