American Express / card closed, wrong info!

After just three weeks of being APPROVED and using my new American Express card, the card was promptly closed on me before the first bill was even due! The reasons they gave for closing the card were inaccurate and after sending in paperwork (my credit score and credit report from Experian, the place in which they say they got all this information) that proved the reasons were wrong, they sent me a letter stating my card would not be reinstated. Why? They used the same reasons I just proved were wrong! My favorite reason is I was past due in the last 12 months with them. Funny. I've never had an American Express card before. They've acknowledged I've never been late with them, EVER, and that that reason was a mistake but it didn't stop them from using it as a reason yet again for not reinstating my card. I will fight this until the card is reinstated as I don't want this to effect my credit score since it was based off of false information. Once it is reinstated I will promplty close the card. I want nothing to do with American Express, ever. If you don't have one of their cards, thank your lucky stars. Terrible customer service, terrible practices. And one other thing. They might have gotten rid of me because I shopped at Walmart for Christmas presents when the card was opened. I hardly ever shop there but found the best prices for toys this year. (I always pay in full. on time, and am never late) Apparently they don't like it if you shop at Walmart and think Walmart shoppers are credit risk type people. Check out Clark Howards website for more information. Stay away from American Express!

Ni

Comments

• Nr
      30th of Apr, 2009

My husband's card was also closed by American Express and we got to know about it when he tried to swipe his card.
    They didn't even bother to inform us that his card will be closed. Thank God, he had a backup card. But why is AMEX discontinuing the card out of the blue and without giving any reason.