Allegiant Air / dishonest website

United States Review updated:

I have twice complained to Allegiant Air about their ethically challenged website. On a recent booking, the site automatically selected the following:

- cost for round-trip shuttle from McClaren Ariport to my hotel (which was not booked through Allegiant);

- cost for priority seating

- cost for checking of one bag

- charge for flex ticket

NONE of this did I want, select or desire. It runs up your cost to equal the price of a one-way ticket! I complained to "Customer Service" that the tactics are dishonest and unethical and they apologized for my "confusion", which I considered an insult. The only confusion that exists is in the ethics of the company's culture.

Their reservations number (not toll-free) takes a long wait and their employees have told me they get LOADS of call from customers who were tricked into buying things they did not want. You cannot remove the items online, you must call. Oh, and let's not forget about Allegiant's "Convenience Fee" for the privilege to book your own flight online. Give me a break. This company's attitude is among the worst in the business.

Comments

• Ml
      Mar 13, 2012

I absolutely agree with the post above. After purchasing tickets for a trip, and buying trip flex, I needed to cancel the flight and was stunned to discover that 1) Allegiant charges a $20 per ticket "fee" to actually use the trip flex - this is in addition to the actual cost of trip flex itself, which was $100 (For my family of four this amounted to an additional $80 of expense); and 2) The travel voucher I received for using trip flex must be used within 365 days of booking - not 365 days from the date the trip was cancelled. So in reality this is closer to a 6 or 9 month voucher. When I complained to a customer service rep (who I got hold of after 45 minutes of being on hold and being disconnected once), I was rudely treated and told to better read the fine print. By the time you're done paying for the a la carte items (baggage fees, seat reservation fees, convenience fees, etc.), you realize that this is not a discount airline, but a full-price airline with business practices designed to mislead the customer.