Airtel Mobile / faulty sim card

1 India

I hold an Airtel corporate connection from a giant US based company.Just over two months ago I got a new SIM card with the existing connection from the jayanagar Airtel office, Bangalore. It took me several calls and days of followup to activate the SIM despite the 30 min TAT that was given for the activation. That got resolved but a couple of months later the SIM just stopped functioning! It would not even read! I went back to the Jayanagar office and got another card issued. When I requested for the SIM card data to be copied, I was dryly told it was not possible. I made several vain requests to retrieve the data that is so valuable to me. My request to use their phone to call the hespdesk was also blunty refused! When I called teh helpdesk from somebody else's phone, my request was turned down even without probing into details and I was put on an infinite hold when I insisted they find a solution. What more, my new SIM is still not activated even 3 hours after I was told it would be!

I am truly disappointed that I had a complete SIM memory washout due to the faulty SIM provided by Airtel that did not even last 3 months! On top of it the 'support' people were so blunt to my requests. I felt humiliated at their office despite being a corporate customer. I am writing this here because I have sent some other grievances earlier to airtel folks through email and have failed to get any response from it.

Is the customer REALLY empowered in India and do we REALLY have a choice???