Air India / denied boarding compensation claim

I was supposed to travel from Mumbai to Newark on an Air India flight (AI 191) on Jan 6, 2008. This flight was overbooked by about 50 odd passengers, so unfortunate passengers like me were asked to board the plane the next day. I was given a “Denied Boarding Compensation” letter and informed that an amount of $400 would be given to me as compensation on reaching my destination.

As per the instructions in the letter, I sent the AI Office (on 570 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY) the original compensation letter, the original boarding pass and a copy of the ticket jacket.

It has been over 4 months now and I have still not heard from them. I tried calling several people in the AI Office but no one in the office ever seems to pick up the phone and if they do, they always have an excuse (such as: this is not the right number and they give me another number to dial, at least 6-8 more weeks would be needed to process the request, the manager who can provide the status information on my claim is on vacation).

It has been a frustrating experience with Air India. This would be my first and last trip with Air India. I hope the other stranded passengers had better luck with the compensation claims.

Comments

• Ta
      11th of May, 2009

You are entitled to more than $400 but alas, if you cash the check, you are sunk. Assuming your flight was international, you are entitled to all expenses for your delay, including out of pockets, lost hotel room, hotel room as place of departure, and phone calls to family and friends. In New York one is also entitled to a claim for embarrassment and inconvenience. thatcher-stone-legal.com