Afni Collections / Wrongly Billed for acct never owned

Bloomington, IL, US Review updated:
Phone: 866-307-0283

I received a bill stating my neice (who just turned 21) has and overdue account with Verizon Norht INC. from several years ago to the tune of 598.05 cents and that they are willing to settle the account for $50.00.
Firstly the phone number listed in refernce to this account was never owned by anyone in our family.
Secondly my neice has lived overseas for 4 years now and could not have opened an account in PA since she was in teh DOmincan Rebublic and
Thirdly she was a under age minor at the time who would have not be LEGALLY able to open an account of any type.
We believe this is a scam or identity theft. To my knowledge Verizon didn't even have stores in that area at that time or offer local phone service which has always been with Bell.

Tc

Comments

• Ha
      Aug 30, 2010

An afni "Collection Notice" was delivered to my address indicating that I owe DirecTV $404.41.

I spent many hours wrenching my brain trying to figure out how this could have happened. I guess the initial shock affected me more than I realized at first because after talking it over, and calming down, I realized that I have never been a customer of DirecTV. EVER!

I'm going to bother afni... just the way they bothered me.