Aer Lingus / excess baggage

I booked a flight on the internet with aer lingus including booking and paying for 2 cases for which I paid £40.
This does not mean you get twice the weight.
However, when I got to check-in they wanted £186.00 for excess weight.
Yes I was allowed 2 cases - but still only 20kg - not 40kg.

Luckily I changed one case to a 'sports bag' which was genuine, as I only had diving equipment in it -
But not without a lot of fuss.
The girl at check in would not allow it, so I went to their desk at the airport where I was told 'a pink case
Is not a sports bag'. After screaming that I was a sports journalist and would give a very poor report
About aer lingus to reuters, the supervisor was called who made me open my case.
On seeing that there was only diving gear in there, he allowed it to be passed as a sports bag at a cost of £32 (one way).

I went back to check-in and said as I had already paid £20 for the bag, I would pay the difference.
However, this was not possible as they are only allowed to take money and the refund would have to be sorted out in cork.

I got to cork and the representative there said they could not give refunds. For that I would have to write to or fax
Thier dublin office and I would get a response in 28 days - not neccessarily a refund.
There was no facility to phone or email.

Eventually - again after much fuss - the supervisor was called who confirmed that was the case - I would have to write to dublin.
So I had to do the 'reuters' story again after which I suggested he convert the extra I had paid for my case to a sports bag
For my return. He agreed, but only I because I was extremely furious. Anyone who wasn't prepared to scream very loudly, would have been charged 2 x £186.00 for excess baggage.

Comments

6th of Oct, 2011

Honestly,
    It says quite clearly on the website (on the page where you select the number of bags) that the total weight limit does not change as a result of the number of bags.

Also, just because you are a journalist does not justify you throwing a tantrum at the Aer Lingus staff. Grow up!