ABC Financial / horrible company
I signed a contract in Dec 2008, as a minor, with ABC Financial to join a local Powerhouse Gym here in Wichita Falls, TX. I was laid off the same month of signing up and therefore, could not pay on it. My mother and I live on a fixed income and I am unable to find a job due to the economy. They drafted each monthly payment from my account until March 2009. After talking with them about my situation, I would have to pay a $75 cancellation fee, catch up on my past due amount plus the late fees charged with them. How am I supposed to pay that when I can't afford the monthly payment in the first place?! I had to close my bank account to keep them from taking anymore money, and as I expected, it was turned over to collections. This is where it got nasty.
They turned me over to a law firm in Durham, NC. I called them to "dispute the amount or any portion thereof" as stated in the letter they sent.
First of all, Robert J. Nauseef, who handled my file, was the biggest ### in the world. He never identified himself when answering the phone, and he treated me as if I were some middle-aged guy who signs contracts and takes out loans all the time, never to pay them back!
Secondly, when I asked him what I was supposed to do since I was laid off in Dec 2008 and was unable to pay any of my bills, he turned the question around to me as if he were the victim. I told him I didn't know, and he said "there's your answer...I don't know! I ain't a psychic!". I told him I'd see what I can do, and he told that was a "good idea" and hung up.
After thinking about what I could do, I called him back and told him I was a minor when I entered the contract and he said since payments were made on it after I turned 18 that I acknowledged the contract as an adult. He also stated that "no judge in the country would rule in my favor". I told him to pursue it anyway he wanted and that I wasn't paying a cent on the debt, and without a word he hung up again!
In my opinion, that is the most unprofessional law firm I know of. And ABC is the biggest scam in the world. They exploit peoples' desire to be healthier as well as young clients such as myself and worst of all, they get away with it! We also see who they do business with (Clayton, Myrick, McClanahan, Coulter PLLC).
Thanks for hearing me out. Comments are appreciated.
More ABC Financial Complaints & Reviews
- [Resolved] ABC Financial - scammed 
- ABC Financial / Retro Fitness - billing - account issues 
- [Resolved] ABC Financial / Retro Fitness - credit card billing practices 
- ABC Financial - golds gym cancellation 
- ABC Financial - unable to cancel membership at work out world gym 
- [Resolved] ABC Financial Services - retro lumberton nj
- [Resolved] abcfinancial.com - unethical behaviour
- [Resolved] ABC Financial / Retro Fitness - membership fee overcharge / issue unresolved
- [Resolved] ABC Financial Services - planet fitness gym membership cancellation policy
- [Resolved] ABC Financial Services - work out world