ABC Financial / horrible company

1 Wichita Falls, TX, United States Review updated:

I signed a contract in Dec 2008, as a minor, with ABC Financial to join a local Powerhouse Gym here in Wichita Falls, TX. I was laid off the same month of signing up and therefore, could not pay on it. My mother and I live on a fixed income and I am unable to find a job due to the economy. They drafted each monthly payment from my account until March 2009. After talking with them about my situation, I would have to pay a $75 cancellation fee, catch up on my past due amount plus the late fees charged with them. How am I supposed to pay that when I can't afford the monthly payment in the first place?! I had to close my bank account to keep them from taking anymore money, and as I expected, it was turned over to collections. This is where it got nasty.

They turned me over to a law firm in Durham, NC. I called them to "dispute the amount or any portion thereof" as stated in the letter they sent.

First of all, Robert J. Nauseef, who handled my file, was the biggest ### in the world. He never identified himself when answering the phone, and he treated me as if I were some middle-aged guy who signs contracts and takes out loans all the time, never to pay them back!

Secondly, when I asked him what I was supposed to do since I was laid off in Dec 2008 and was unable to pay any of my bills, he turned the question around to me as if he were the victim. I told him I didn't know, and he said "there's your answer...I don't know! I ain't a psychic!". I told him I'd see what I can do, and he told that was a "good idea" and hung up.

After thinking about what I could do, I called him back and told him I was a minor when I entered the contract and he said since payments were made on it after I turned 18 that I acknowledged the contract as an adult. He also stated that "no judge in the country would rule in my favor". I told him to pursue it anyway he wanted and that I wasn't paying a cent on the debt, and without a word he hung up again!

In my opinion, that is the most unprofessional law firm I know of. And ABC is the biggest scam in the world. They exploit peoples' desire to be healthier as well as young clients such as myself and worst of all, they get away with it! We also see who they do business with (Clayton, Myrick, McClanahan, Coulter PLLC).

Thanks for hearing me out. Comments are appreciated.

-Angry Consumer

Comments

• Pa
      30th of Sep, 2009

I'm so sorry you lost your job. :-( I'm afraid you don't understand the position of ABC Financial however. We are hired by gyms to handle their billing. We are not able to cancel / change the contracts that were signed by the member and the gym. Signing a gym membership is not much different than buying a car. If you don't use it, you still need to make the monthly payments.

When the gyms get members, that is the income that pays for their facilities, repairs, salaries, etc. If people cancel prior to the end of their agreement, it will hurt the function power of the gym. I understand your situation also. Please remember to read all agreements before signing them and take into consideration that your own personal situations may change.

Do no take out the situation on the reps that take the calls. They have to work so hard and are only enforcing what your signed agreement states. Also, ABC does not turn anyone over for collection. They only handle billing.

I wish you better luck in the coming year.

• Ot
      14th of Oct, 2009

I totally agree with angry customer. Robert Nauseef is a royal ### who should have his liscense stripped from him. Or does he even have a liscense? By the way he talked to me on the phone, you'd think he wasn't a lawyer, just some kid who was picked on in school so he takes his anger out on all the helpless debt-payers who talk to him. I asked him nicely about my account and he said, "Woah, woah, woah! Stop right there! I didn't understand a word of what you just asked me!" and the conversation ended with him hanging up on me! ABC financial is crap! Just look at all the complaints about them. They don't even know what they're doing. When I called ABC to get the situation handled, they said I should call the gym I placed membership with and get it from them. When I called the gym, my information wasn't there! It was sent to that corrupt law firm in North Carolina where you're treated like a dog because of a measly $500 dollar debt that is going to put Powerhouse gym out of business, right? I have accepted that I owe that debt, but of all the debts I've ever had to pay, I've never experienced anything quite like this. Most companies will say, "Hey, you're actually going to pay your debt, lets make it a little easier on you and knock off a little of that debt!" I moved away for college and couldn't attend that gym anymore. And I only went to the damn gym 5 times and now I'm being charged for the rest of the 2 years that I never attended! I know you still have to pay even if you don't attend, but do they believe in cutting someone a break?

• Ex
      10th of Dec, 2009

Are you kidding me PatricaA?! The contract was with ABC Financial! Not my gym. I understand how contracts work and that, legally, you still have to pay. But it is nothing like a car. A car is something you would have and be taken away if you didn't pay on it. A gym provides a service. If I don't use the service of their gym, then I don't contribute any wear and tear necessary to pay for it. Sure, they don't PROFIT as much as they 'd like, but it's stealing nonetheless. And to exploit an UNDERAGE boy who just wants to be healthier and look better is plain wrong. I dabbled in sales myself, but I never once became aggressive to people that I didn't think could afford it. Although, I didn't sale as much, I saved a lot of people from trouble like this. It's all about money. And yes, ABC Financial abuses their ability to charge fees and such to the credit/debit cards provided on the contract. I understand everyone of the reps are doing their jobs. I wasn't complaining about them, but the company itself is a scam. They just try to find ways to suck people, who can't afford the bills, dry.

• Me
      1st of May, 2010

I went to the gym and asked the gym rep to cancel my account because i was moving out of town. He asked me to proved him. I told him that my company is taking care of everything and that i have no proof. I just left town and stoped going.

I called my bank and asked them to stop paying.

I am getting calls from ABC fin. everyday. I get around 15 calleds a day. The ABC fin representative said that the club will denied my membership if i dont pay. I say OK.

I still get calls from ABC to pay. I just dont answer.

I want to know what happends if i just dont pay. ??????

Do someone knows?

• Br
      1st of Dec, 2010

I also, have had dealings with ABC Financial. I had a neck injury and was unable to continue my membership. My doctor wrote a letter to ABC stating I had a neck injury and he did not want me involved in a exercise program. This was in keeping with my contract, section 2. They said the doctors note was not sufficient because I was not disabled. Section two of their contract read "the term disability means a condition which precludes the buyer from physically using the facilites, and such condition is verified by a physician". My doctor's note clearly stated I was not to be involved in exercise program. My doctor suggested that Breathe Fitness and ABC Financial send me to a Independent Medical Examiner to evaluated my condition since they were calling my doctor a liar. Of course, they would have to pay for this themselves. It amazes me that the state and federal government has not gotten involved in the scams the financial services for these gyms pull. Do you know I tried to pay for a year up front and they wouldn't let me, they wanted financial information so they could continue to bill me. I feel sorry for everyone involved with ABC Financial. My husband is a big mucky, muck attorney in the corporate world and has gone through the contract and it is clear I have complied with section 2, yet they will not let me out of the contract, and continue to harrase me with e-mails and phone calls. I am an accountant and when people mess with my money, I go after them with every legal means in my power. I would advise everyone who has dealings with ABC Financial to hit them as hard as you can in the pocketbook.

• Ni
      29th of Dec, 2010

You talked to the collection agency not Robert Nauseef. Internal credit systems handles the calls for ABC NOT THE ATTORNEY. Please do not bash people when you are not clear who you talked to. The attorney only gets involved if litigation is planned or is initiated. I have talked to Mr. Nauseef and he is professional and courteous. Thanks!

• Gi
      1st of Feb, 2011

I am sorry but I have to disagree with you "nickaaron" Robert J Nauseef is a [censor] who believes that just because you are calling Internal Credit Systems that you are beneath him. And it is proven with the attitude and disposition he takes on the phone. I JUST got off the phone with HIM trying to SET UP PAYMENTS to relieve my debt. But he carried on with a condescending tone the entire time we were on the phone until I gave it right back to him. Only then did he want to "start over". I know sleaze balls like him and I never associate myself with them. I will pay my debt because I am an honest, working man but as far as calling him "professional" and "courteous" I've NEVER heard anything as far away from the truth in all of my 26 years on this beautiful planet. And to clarify, any company trying to collect a debt or handles debt payments is a collection agency. No matter how LEGIT OR NOT it may be. So Angry Customer turn your attention towards the true enemy ICS and Robert J Nauseef. We're all behind ya... Except for Patricia and Nick...