Classmates.com$39.00 was charged to my bank account without my authorization

I

I was checking my bank acct online and noticed a $39 charge from classmates.com that I did not authorize, so i called the number listed beside their name on my acct. I told them that I did not authorize the charge and that the money needed to be returned to my acct in full. The man I was speaking to said that if I had read closely when I registered for the one year trial for $9.95 that no refunds will be given for any reason, I told him I did not authorize this and that the money needed to be put back then asked to speak to a manager. He put me on hold came back and said all managers were busy helping other people, I said I would hold for one. He said he couldnt keep me on hold, but would check to see if a manager was yet available, came back and said they were not. I told him again, very angry at this point, that my money needed to be put back in full because I would not and did not ever ok this. He told me it was oked when I set up my year trial. That it's there in the print that when you ok the year trial you are giving them authorization to take money out in a years time. I told him I would never have agreed to that, that I had found the person I was looking for and had opted out of any future things from them. I also told him that both my daughter and I are disabled and on a very tight budget and we need that money to pay bills, buy food and such and did he understand this. He said he did understand but there was nothing he could do and that if I didnt calm down he would have to end the call. I again asked to speak to a manager and he terminated the call. I had already gone to my bank and filled out the dispute paperwork for the charges. I called my fiance on my way home to tell him what classmates had said and he told me to call the bank and update them and see what they had to say. my fiance then proceeded to do some research online about classmates and found hundreds upon hundreds of complaints against them for the same thing they had done to me! We found a site called Internet Crime Complaint Center that is linked to the FBI's website complaints. my fiance suggested I call classmates.com back and tell them that I had Internet Crime Complaint Center website up and if they did not give my money back immediately I would be filling a complaint on the that website and that it is linked to the FBI. The woman I was speaking to got very anxious at that point and said that it wasnt all that serious and I didnt need to go to that extreme. I said yes it is that serious! You stole money from my account and you need to put it back! She them said that the man I had spoken to was only doing his job, but given the "special circumstances" of my life she would refund my money and that if I did file a complaint to "be sure and let everyone know how helpful classmates.com was and that they refunded my money when they didnt have to." My daughter witnessed all this as I had my phone on speaker and she was sitting here for the entire second conversation. DO NOT GIVE UP!!! DO YOUR RESEARCH AND LET THEM KNOW YOU WILL BE FILLING COMPLAINTS, AND NOT JUST WITH THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU! THEY DONT SEEM TO CARE ABOUT THAT, BUT THEY SURE DONT WANT TO BE REPORTED TO THE FBI! I wish you all the best and hope that you too can get your money back! good luck!!

• Gu
    Gugenot Feb 22, 2012

Do NOT use this site (classmates.com). Same problem as the other reviewers...no prior notice before billing your credit card, and from what I read, no refund once they have. Plus no way to contact them by phone to try and get cancellation resolved. Thats bs!! I will NEVER use any of their affiliated sites either. Scammers at this point in time...stick to facebook. Ripoff, ripoff, ripoff.

sazvuk Oct 23, 2011

I have been charged 2 times after I canceled. I did
    everything they told me to do. I was billed in March
    on one credit card. Then again in May on another
    credit card. I’ve been e-mailing and calling for over
    2 months. They keep saying they cant’ refund
    any of my money.

I did not renew my membership what can I do?

• Ri
    Richard Filion Aug 20, 2011

Same situation with me. I think that my only way to solve my problem will be to cancell my credit card...

• Dy
    dyannleroy Jun 29, 2011

I feel lucky as I only got hit for a $15.00 unauthorized charge. I am canceling my credit card now.

• Ka
    Karen Whitehouse Jones Jun 27, 2011

I have been trying to access my classmates.com site, which I've had for a year. I can not get past Memory Lane. My credit card was charged $39.99 for something I did not give my permission. I have e-mailed Memory Lane and get no response. What's with this? This is definitely some kind of scam!

• Fc
    fcm Mar 03, 2011

I was automatically billed $39 for an account that I used once last year. I didn't knowingly sign up for auto bill. The only way to quit is online where there are plenty of warning notes about not recouping your membership fee for quitting because of the terms of service. Its underhanded and they are ripping off a lot of folks.

• Sh
    Shannon36535 Feb 19, 2011

If you call classmates. they wil cancel your renewal and recredit your account.

• Ro
    robert mckenna Feb 19, 2011

Joined Classmates for 9.95 trial period and have now been charged 39.00 + for services which have NOT been used. I now see many others in the same situation but no success in stopping them from autocollection. Can anything be done?

• Ar
    arlene aaron johnson Feb 13, 2011

Was charged in Nov for unauthorized billing which had been canceled 39.99 complained and c anceled again they debited my account 39.99 in Dec now my bank statemnet shows another debit charge of 39.99 for Jan either get this fixed or I will go on every TV and ONLINE and show what a theif you are for an old lad y pension

• Br
    Brian.Burki Feb 04, 2011

Will i recieve a refund

• Br
    Brian.Burki Feb 04, 2011

I canceled my subscription on 2-4-2011 #[protected] am i going to get a refund of my $39.00 to my debt account.THANK YOU Brian.Burki

• Yl
    YLB Feb 01, 2011

Although I don't have and will never have a Facebook account, I think that's the place to go to begin to look for people from your past.

Classmates.com is like mylife.com in culling and generating a superficial and haphazard database from information floating in the internet and passing that off as the mother lode. These sites are scams.

johnsimmonds Feb 01, 2011

After having cancelled this service because it did not locate anyone I was looking for, I was still billed $39.00 I believe I have been unjustly taken advantage of.

• Li
    Lisa Duvall Jan 25, 2011

Tired of unauthorized charges from your debit account? I have the knowledge and experience needed to get your money.

Please email me at [email protected] for additional information or go to the website above

• Bu
    burdell taylor Jan 25, 2011

TWICE CLASSMATES.COM HAVE WENT INTO MY BANK ACCOUNT AND WITHDREW MONEY NOT ONLY WITHOUT MY CONSENT BUT AFTER I SENT THEM AN E-MAIL ABOUT IT THE FIRST TIME. I AM GOING TO THE BANK TOMORROW TO SEE ABOUT FILING CRIMINAL CHARGES.

• Da
    Dan Diamond Jan 22, 2011

I signed on for $20. A year later I noticed they charged my Credit Card for $39. I did not knowingly authorize this.
    I begged them for my money back. They refused.
    I made a complaint in The Seattle Wa BBB. I called my credit card company and made a dispute. Next I am going to post on Craigslist what type of crooks Classmates.com is.

• Te
    Terry Honeycutt Jan 17, 2011

I did not agree to letting classmates. com charge me 39.00 for a membership. I need this to be credited to my account.

• Is
    Isobel Montgomery Jan 14, 2011

I was billed on Nov 17/10 US$15.73 in error because I discontinued any connection with classmates.com. Please return this amount to me. I have tried to do this on-line and by telephone and get the message by phone that the office is closed due to of-site meeting. I will persist until this is rectified. I'm sure many people must just give up in frustration, BUT I will not!!!

Isobel Montgomery

jojo1980 Jan 12, 2011

Classmates has a policy of auto renew..you have to opt out which of course should be criminal since you probably are not even aware that you opted in in the 1st place, think they got in trouble 4 that and another add on called "privacy matters which takes money outta ur account as well??? beware of Classmates.com 4 these reasons!

jojo1980 Jan 12, 2011

Sears charges way more for similiar products than most palces that sell the same stuff, granite, Cabinets, etc. and their customer service here in NJ anyway sux!
    acts of God, vandelism...never covered!

Marjorie Thompson Jan 12, 2011

Charges were made to my credit card in December, 2010, for $39.00 renewal to Classmates.com. This account was my husbands and he died April 27, 2010.
    I went to site Classmates.com and asked that this be cancelled and the charge refunded to my credit card. They advised this could not be done. I tried to call this date [protected], and was advised they could not speak to anyone but the name on the account. Pretty impossible, isn't it??

• Lo
    louis pardo Jan 06, 2011

classmates.com charged me 39.95 without my permission.i had already CANCELLED anything i had with them. tried calling and never get through..they say your wait will take a extremly long time. i know i will get my refund, even if i have to go to their headquarters and get it.

• Bo
    bobhud Dec 07, 2010

It sounds like you are expecting complaints board to follow up for you. This is just a complaint board to warn other people of your issues with a company. Did you destroy and cancel your card after or before classmates.com? Sound like you did that after classmates.com charged you. You were not very clear on that point. Did you attempt to contact classmates.com to have the charges removed? Did you contact the Credit Card company to dispute the charge?

JAMES/RUBY WHITE Dec 07, 2010

i did not give permission to renew my subscription to classmates.com, and was billed for $39.00 on an old BMW card which has been destroyed and later cancelled.
    please remove this amount from the BMW card
    Account # [protected]

• Pi
    pianoman8836 Nov 30, 2010

This company is an out and out scam. My experiences are the same as everyones...no answer to their phone # on CC statement...except to go to a website that will not help. Fortunately I paid my one and only Gold member ship thru a Major credit card company with which I do a lot of business. When I spoke with their "billing Complaint" she was aware of these phonies and cheerfully credited my acct with the $39. At her suggestion I cancelled the existing credit card with a different #. If they fraudlently "find" another CC Co I will sue their assets off. That's Fraud!!! I've learned my lesson with these schemers. My suggestion is go to your CC Co or Bank and refuse to give up. If necessary bring evidence of the thousands of complaints and they will listen to a good customer. Finally I am going to converse with my State Attorney General's office until I get a respone. Get tough...scream and holler...Remeber the squeaking wheel gets the grease. Steer clear of these people like the Plague!

• SIck and tired of this company - refuse to refund or delete my profile I called and left a message with this guy. Maybe if enough people do it something other then his phone number will change. They've got $39.99 of mine and I want it back. It's impossible to get anyone on the regular line.

Erik Randerson, CFA
    Vice President, Investor Relations
    [protected]
    [email protected]

Martyr01 Oct 11, 2010

Agree, Agree, Agree!

Martyr01 Oct 11, 2010

I purchased a Gold Membership in August to allow me to access my High School Year book. I was able to look through the year book one time but when I tried to log on a week later my membership was not reconized. This site should be shut down!

• Ri
    Ricardo Sep 10, 2010

I paid for the Premium membership hoping the reach old friends. I was expecting less ads and faster page loads after paying for access. What I got was the same old sloooowest website with tons of ads. Who has the time to wait 2 to 5 minutes for every page to load. Nothing but ads, ads and more ads. Classmates has runined a nice concept with greed.

• Ph
    phyllis riley Sep 10, 2010

I SEND THEM A EMAIL REQUEST THE PROGRAM AT THE END OF THE THREE MONTH PERIOD. BE CANCEL I ONLY PAY FOR ONE THREE MONTH PERIOD.OF $ 15.00 BUT THEY DEBT MY CARD AGAIN FOR $ 15.00. I DIDNOT USE THE SERVICE THAT MUCH TO PAY ANOTHER $15.00.I TRY CALLING THE NUMBER BUT IT TELL ME TO GO ONLINE THEY HAVE A HIGH VOLUME OF CALL AT THIS TIME. MY NAME APPEAR AS PHYLLIS FOLEY MY MADEN NAME IS RILEY I ATTEND W.L COHEN SCHOOL 1972 THANK YOU

• Bu
    Bucc Bucc Aug 10, 2010

I had signed up for three months of service and classmates billed me again for another 3 months service. When I tried to call them I was on hold for over 9 minutes. When I finally was able to talk to a human they said they could not reverse the charges but they could cancel any further charges. Lesson learned. The website was average at best. I will never sign up again.

• Ka
    KathyNoel Aug 09, 2010

This company has taken out money from my account, and I have trying to reach them to cancel this. My computer is down and I'm on the one at work but I can't use this service and I want my money refunded to my card. Every time I call their phone it says I have reached them after their business hours. I called at 10:30am, and it still said I had reached them after business hours. This is a scam, and this needs immediate attention.

• Go
    Gold Membership Stripp/For No Reason Jul 07, 2010

I chabnged my Email from [email protected] to [email protected] and now when I go into Classmates.com it will not recognize me as a GOLD MEMBER. I have tried everything to make it work but this will be my 4th letter to you to have you fix it. The correct Email is "[email protected]" Please see what you can do promptly to fix this because I have lost almost 2 weeks on my GOLD Membership.

It would be greatly appreciated - Also I want my name to read "Ronnie/Rhonda Bauer" I tried fixing it but couldn't, could you please be a dear and fix that too.

Thank you so much for all you help and cooperation. If you have any question, please don't hesitant to call me at [protected].

• Go
    Gold Membership Stripp/For No Reason Jul 07, 2010

My name is Rhonda/Ronnie Bauer [protected] Catalina High School, Tucson Arizona - D.O.B. 2/16/56
    I paid for a Gold Membership and was using it under my parents email [email protected] I have since moved out of their home and have my own internet and it it [email protected] I have sent several messages to you to fix this error because when I come online I come online as an unregistered classmated let a lone a Gold Member! This needs to be fix! I have lost 2 weeks of computer time becuasue your server will not accept my new Email address.
    What needs to be done? Can you do it for me? I'd also like my first name to read Ronnie/Rhonda Bauer (more people new me that way).
    I would appreciate your ut most concern in this consiqunce. Thank you for your cooperation

Sincerely Ronnie/Rhonda Bauer - You can call me at any time @ [protected]

• Ro
    Robin May 13, 2010

They just took $39 from my Paypal account and said that I had checked "auto-renew" when I joined with the $20 membership. They have refused to refund my money after complaining to them that they have data leaking into the search engines even though we must login to their site. Classmates has told me they are a public site and the search engines can cache data, etc.
    Paypal also won't refund my money saying that I was on auto-renew even though I don't use Classmates and I don't want to continue with them or pay. The best thing all of us can do is complain to the BBB and Attorney General in Washington.
    Here are the links. When they get numerous complaints--they will look at the company more seriously.
    www.thebbb.org
    www.atg.wa.gov/FileAComplaint.aspx#Online

• Ke
    kelly king iverson Feb 02, 2010

I was given a trial for 9.99 for one year and I purchased it at the end of December. Now I have a 39.00 charge on 1/12. I would like my credit account reimbursed. Please contact me at my classmates email account..

• FRED VICK Jan 13, 2010

I GAVE YOU $19.95 AND DID NOT HAVE RECHARGIBLE CARD I WAS CONSIDDERRING IT ONE EXTRA YEAR PAYED DO I HAVE TO BURN YOU TO GET IT YANKY TRASH I WILL IF I MUST FU7CKEN THEIVES FOR $10 DO YOU WANT TO PLAY THE GAME PIRATES I WILL SUE YOU GET IT MORRONS

• Ju
    Judy Monahan Jan 08, 2010

I did not authorize you to charge my credit card for a renewal. I want the charge reversed in the amount of $63.84 dated Dec. 24/09. If this is not done immediately I will be contacting my credid card company and they will reverse it. I have already spoken to them about it and they advised me to contact you first and give you an oppertunity to reverse it. Thank you, Judy Monahan. e-mail address: [email protected]

• 2w
    2Wards Jan 06, 2010

I paid my $9.95 dues with my MC on 12/06/09 and cannot view on classmates.com. $9.95 has been deducted from my MC account on the above date.

classmate acct #[protected]

• Je
    jenny john Dec 20, 2009

I did not give permission for them to continue my renewal on my card. I want this service stoped an refunded.