Menu
Classmates
reviews & complaints

Classmates
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

74 complaints
43 resolved 31 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Classmates. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
R
4:53 pm

Classmates - personals on home page

I innocently went on classmates.com to find out info about a class reunion. Every time I went onto the home page, there were ads for local women who were shall we say advertising themselves for ? Unsolicited ads shouldn't be a part of a page which could really be a neat communication tool to get in touch with old high school buddies. I cancelled my membership. Too bad a good thing has to go bad - - -

1:37 pm

Classmates - unauthorized charge for membership

Classmates.com charged my credit card for a membership that was unauthorized. I have not used classmates.com for about two years. I first used the free trial, paid about $15.00, provided my personal info at that time however my membership was cancelled thereafter!Now I have this charge which I am demanding a full refund. I have reported this to my bank & have initiated the proper procedures to file a fraud report unless my refund is received in a timely manner..

6 comments
Dec 25, 2009 11:30 pm

I just noticed a charge on my crdit card. They said they keep your credit card on file and automatically charge you after your membership has run out and that they have the right to do that. I've called my credit card company but they said they can't remove it unless classmates agrees? That is total crap!

M
Mar 24, 2021 4:42 pm
Replying to comment of cass22

Go to the Classmates website and re.I've your own credit card info.

R
Nov 22, 2009 2:17 pm

Same thing happened to me. I've contacted my credit card company and the Better Business Bureau

Sep 11, 2009 7:56 am

WWW.MYLIFE.COM...WWW.REUNION.COM ...WWW.MYLIFE.COM

I am an attorney researching the business practices of WWW.MYLIFE.COM, WWW.REUNION.COM and WWW.MYLIFE.COM . I am interested in their practices as it relates to the unauthorized SCRAPING OF EMAIL ADDRESS BOOKS.

Pending my review, consideration of legal action shall be evaluated. I located your complaint from a google search of all those complaining about reunion.com and my life.com . Any information you may provide would be helpful so as for me to understand the issues, but response should not be considered as developing an attorney-client relationship. I merely need to obtain information.

Here's a few questions:
1) Did you join the dating portion of these sites and have any issues and concerns?

2) were you enticed to visit any of these websites after an email came to you, appearing like it was from a friend, inviting you to join?

3) do you feel the terms of service and privacy policy noted on the site explained what exactly they were going to do to your email addresses?

4) Were your email address contacts emailed an invitation to join after receiving an invitation which claimed you sent them the invite?

5) how has your involvement damaged your reputation or any finacial losses?

6) Were you contacted by any other companies associated with any of these sites claiming that you had joined their site also, being sent marketing info from companies, ASKING FOR YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER, OR RECEIVING MONTHLY CHARGES TO YOUR TELEPHONE BILL?

So as to support my interest and qualify my identity, I would refer you to a few of my recent cases I filed, so that you can confirm that I do represent individuals in internet privacy matters. Google my recent cases:

lane v facebook,
valentine v nebuad
simon v adzilla
slater v tagged.com

Once you locate these cases, review the atorneys noted, and then confirm I have the same email as the attorney noted on the lawsuit:

"Attorney Joseph H Malley
[email protected]"

Please feel free to contact me in confidence to discuss any issues. As noted at this point I am merely researching and discussing complaints to determine if there is any allegations of merit.
Thanks
Attorney Joe Malley
1045 N ZANG BLVD
Dallas, Texas
Phone: [protected]

email me back at: [email protected]

P
Jul 27, 2009 9:57 am

I noticed a charge on my card from this company. I have never used them ever, and have no idea how they got my credit card information. I believe it may have been through one of their sister companies (a lineage site? ancestry.com maybe) but i don't know for certain how they got my information. I promptly called my credit card company and told them i wasn't paying for the charge. Problem solved.

S

The same thing happened to me! I have called my credit card people. I called Classmates with the number they gave on the credit card, but of course, it's only a recording!

D
7:22 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

2 years ago I signed up for classmates.com When it was time for renewal, I tried repeatedly to cancel without success. They have taken the liberty of deducting the annual fee automatically from my checking acct. I do not wish to continue membership with this company. Repeatedly I have logged on to their website, entered my e-mail address along with my...

M
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I would like to cancel my subscription to Classmates.com and can't find out how. It is not very good when you call the number you are given and can't talk to a person.

D
10:40 am

Classmates - scam charges

Classmates.com automatically charged my credit card without my authorization for membership fees, then refused to refund the money after I'd alerted them to the mistake. They had changed the Terms of Service (which is a contract) since my initial membership to an automatic charge of my card at the end of my membership and told me they could change their TOS anytime they wanted. Classmates.com refused to cancel my membership unless I logged into the site and requested the cancellation online. THEN they informed me that by logging on, I had agreed to the new Terms of Service and had forfeited my membership fee by doing so! I complained to the company via snail mail, email and phone calls without success. I had to resolve the issue via my credit card company by disputing the charge and providing copies of my complaints to Classmates.com. The credit card company refunded my money. My next step would've been the Better Business Bureau. READ THE TOS OF ALL ONLINE SERVICES PRIOR TO LOGGING IN EACH TIME! Companies can (and do) change them often and without notice to you!

T
May 22, 2009 11:49 am

You must be a natural born idiot. Why would you give them your card and expect not to be charged.

May 01, 2009 10:41 am

"Classmates.com automatically charged my credit card without my authorization for membership fees"

You gave it to them, what did you expect?

Y
8:49 pm

Classmates - failure to provide services

I have been a gold member for 3+ years. It seems that Classmates.com has changed its rules for contacting other members and even for contacting their own Help services. There is neither a place to hit "send" in order to get your email sent out to a classmate or former student nor to send your question as to how to get the email to send in the first place. "Customer service" and "Help" are useless. It is a rather helpless feeling especially when one has paid to use/belong to its services. I am wondering why I have to pay for NOT being able to use Classmates.com.

E
2:44 pm

Classmates - scam artists

This company made an unauthorized debit to my ckg account. The most infuriating aspect of this whole thing was spending half an hour trying to find a phone number or even a working email to contact them on their site. There is a place to email them, but when you try you get an 'oops, sorry no page'. They are scam artists.

I will join any class action suit. Losing $39 is not the point. having it stolen from me is.

Apparently, I'm just one of many. They need to be put out of business.

Jul 03, 2010 4:12 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Classmates got me for 59.00. The money was taken from my checkng account because my wife was listed as a secondary on it. She cancelled her membership to classmates over four years ago. When she recently called about the charge she was told by a representative that she did not cancel the membership for life.
Classmates has the practice of archiving peoples information then waitng for some time to go by just to reactivate membership without the person's knowledge. By the time you discover that you have been taken it is too late. They refuse to refund your money and tell you they will once again cancel your membership.
The worst part is the 59.00 charge was forwarded from and old debit card on an account that had been closed for over a year. Anyone reading this better check with your bank because according to my bank (Charter One) auto withdrawls will be forwarded to another account even if they were not set up by the account holder. Just because it is closed does not make it inactive or safe.
I just hope that classmates goes out of business soon so no one else will get taken or fall victim to their scams.
Walter

G
Oct 06, 2009 12:05 pm

think classmates is the bigest rip-off every

P
6:01 pm

Classmates - fraud

They are giving unauthorized credit card information to ap9*privacyprotection. After signing up for "gold" membership on this site, I got a pop up for a free credit check and a $100 gift card for canadian tire. I did not sign up for this service. I closed the pop up because I was not interested. Somehow they got my credit card information. After talking to "andy" at privacy protection, I was informed that classmates gave them the credit card information. So much for their secure site. Whatever you do, do not sign up for "gold" membership on classmates. You are getting more than gold membership! You are gaining an unauthorized credit card bill!

3 comments
A

When I joined classmates I unknowingly joined Privacy Matters123 they took 39.90 from me. When I contacted Classmates they said I took advantage of a free trial. Well if it was free then why was 39.90 stolen from my account. Isnt there some law where online companies disclose who their in bed with. Dont join Classmates.

C

Todays Date:03/26/09 I signed up for some free trial anyways I had got a debit of $12.99 taken out of my bank acct. from a company TLG*GREATFN59135057 [protected] OR ENDING NUMBERS 7625 OR 9041 Well I did'nt evan have $12.99 in my acct. I didn't understand. I didn't know what that charge was for I've never heard of that and then my bank also charged me $27.50 for insuffient funds. So I called the number that was givin to me on my bank statement about the $12.99 charge and got a hold of a lady there and I asked her what was the company I was calling and told her what had happened she did take the charge off but only just the charge my bank said that they were responsible for the insuffient funds as well I had my bank type up a letter and had it notorized. The next day I was preparing to do my taxes and I was going through my all my oldbank statements and apparently this CLASSMATES ONLINE INC [protected] had been taking out every month $12.99 since 12/26/07 plus I was charged twice in two of those month $15.00 by a different company name. ALL AND ALL THEY STOLE $239.36 I have all my statments now and this will NOT be the end of ME..I will fight this! Here's an ADDRESS I got from TLG people: ATTN:EXECUTIVE SUPPORT, P.O.BOX, 6100 WESTERVILLE, OHIO, 43086 I hope this helps anyone thats been screwed by this company...

Mar 22, 2009 10:06 am

GOT RIPPED OFF TO $40.00
Thanks Class mates I have kids to feed! How do you sleep at night. Remember what goes around comes around!

5:48 pm

Classmates - unauthorized credit card charge of $39

I have not even visited classmates.com for years and yet somehow, when my account balance is in the single digits I get a $39 charge from classmates.com. I have never signed up for any pay service from that website, so aside from getting tons of spam from them over the years I have no idea why I would be getting charged $39. Someone has to do something about this. I am going to call my bank tomorrow morning, but based on other things I have read about this issue it is not likely my money will be refunded, meaning I am now out another $35 for the overdraft charge on my bank account.

1 comment

same thing happened to me! Seems like there is a lawsuit brewing!

4:48 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Has anyone been charged with a membership automatic fee withdrawal from their banks by classmates.com? I signed up for the $20.00 life time membership at classmates.com for $20.00. Life time was not life time. They have now charged me for a gold membership at $39.00 a year. I have asked them to cancel the same day they stole my money and to refund my $39.00...

O
9:52 am

Classmates - scam

I recently resigned up to the free side of Classmates.com. One day later, while checking my credit card online, I saw a mysterious charge to SHopping Essentials. I phoned the number associated with the charge and was passed off to numerous "associates" who all refused to tell me just who they and their company was. They said they had no record of my name or phone number. They asked me to verify myself by giving them my credit card number! When I balked at that, the guy (Carlos # 18228) scoffed that they "already had the number" because they charged me. So I said to read me the number and I would tell them if they were correct. He refused and said they couldn't do that. To dispute the charge, I was told to fax him a copy of my credit card bill showing the charge! I told him that I was calling my credit card company and cancelling the charge. I did that but also had to cancel my card and will have to wait a week to 10 days to get my new card. I also have to deal with juggling a few automatic payments that are on the card. I never gave my credit card number to Classmates. How did they or their 'partner in crime' get it? No fine print on a terms of use blurb should allow for stealing a credit card number! That, my friends, is still a crime!

Sep 11, 2009 8:04 am

WWW.MYLIFE.COM...WWW.REUNION.COM ...WWW.MYLIFE.COM

Here's a few questions:

5) how has your involvement damaged your reputation or any finacial losses?

lane v facebook,

1045 N ZANG BLVD
Dallas, Texas
Phone: [protected]

email me back at: [email protected]

This Classmates.com IS some scam! They lure you in with a one-time fee of $15, then before you know it - you're being charged every month. As a few of you wrote - there is no way to contact them via phone.. as you only receive a recorded message & then it diconnects you... BUT WHAT YOU CAN DO is notify your bank as soon as they take your money. Your bank is on YOUR side. If more of us take this action immediately - perhaps we can put these crooks out of business.

Diane V.

V
8:16 am

Classmates - automatic renwal

I had the "automatic renewal" recently charged to my card for $39 after my previous one year membeship was 9.95 and the card they charged to had the wrong expiration date. I don't recall ever selecting an automatic renewal selection nor do I recall getting a notice about it. I have now had to file a dispute with my credit card company and have read many other similar complaints.

1 comment

I quit using Classmates.com for some time. I did not authorize an automatic renewal on my account. Please reimburse me.

Joyce Sullivan Barrett
235 Dixie Trail
Carthage, TX 75633

3:30 am

Classmates - does not refund

I have signed up for the 7 day free trial period. It was said that they wouldn't be deducting anything from my bank account within those 7 days. I even saved the email, but yet the moment I had put in my credit card I was deducted of $14.95 for something I have no clue or recognition of.

The only reason I signed up was to find old classmates. It has said that someone was looking for me and that they had sign my guestbook. The only way to look at my guestbook was to sign up for the Gold Membership. I did the free trial. Not even a day has passed since my 7 day free trial, I did not get an email regarding anything to say that my free trial was up, not even one notice of them taking and charging me for my 14.95 also.

I checked my bank account again and I a pending for $39.00 was being withdrawn from me. I had gone and logged myself into the classmates account and deleted all of my credit card information. I had emailed them an email regarding this matter of this fraudulent scam that they are doing. I have not recieved a reply from them yet.

H
Feb 18, 2020 3:43 pm

I can't get on your site. This is my last request.

V
10:33 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I signed up for a free 7 day trial with Classmates.com and then canceled the subscription to Classmates. In April, when I received my credit card statement there was a charges from ap9*athomerewards+-v for $19.95 not once, but twice. All the information that was on my credit card statement was a 1-877-636-6858 CT no physical address was listed. I should...

Classmates contacts