Chase Bankclosed my account without notice

C Review updated:

I recently had a problem using my chase debit card while making a purchase. A few hours later I called the automated recording to check my balance since I knew I had available funds and to my surprise, the recording said I was negative $39 million dollars! I then called the banks 800 number and asked what happened. They then connected me with an "account specialist" who really had no answer for me. All she said was that "chase has made a decision to end the relationship with my account and will be closing it"! I said what!!! Why, whats the reason? No answer was given other than I will be getting a letter in the mail. I had a few transactions that had not cleared and she did not care about them and said, "well - they just wont get paid"
My wife then called also and they gave her the run around with no answers either! Finally, after the weekend passed my wife went into our local branch to speak with the bank manager and was a total #!
She said that she strongly suggested I keep our money there til our recent transactions cleared or we will get an overdraft. My wife said " you guys are the ones that are closing our accounts after being with the same account number for 15 years, through great western, wamu and now chase and they treat us like this!!! With no explaination?? I just also found out that 5 people I know had the same thing happen to them. And no answers either for them!! What the hell is going on here? Can anyone explain or have a theory or maybe happened to you as well??

• Db
    DB Beckham May 25, 2007

BEWARE. Do not do business with this bank. I have been a customer for 10 years, never made a late payment. My payment posted one business day late, not only did they charge me a $39 late fee, but they raised my interest rate by 15 points. I called to asked for a courtesy refund and to reinstate my interest and was told no. I said I would close my accounts, I have two. Any the customer service rep said, go ahead and close them. I work for a bank and if we ever treated our customers this way, it would not be tolerated. Furthermore, how would you expect to keep customers with this kind of customer service. I did indeed close my accounts, and am warning anyone thinking about dealing with this credit card company to be afraid, be very afraid.

• Kr
    Kristina Pratt Jun 11, 2007

Knowingly a problem was going to occur. I asked for help. I didn't get any. Told there was nothing they could do. But jacked the interest rate 29.99%. All the calls that I have made through the months, that are supposed to be monitored and/or Recorded. My calls are gone. I don't like being interrogated every time I call, by someone who is Rude. The question is "Why cant you pay this amount" THINK. Or I wouldn't be in this position. There are so many discrepancies to my involvement with Chase Bank. Sad part they think they can get away with what their business practice is. Thank god for the guy who took them to Congress. Its still going on.

• Ol
    Oldie Sac Jan 27, 2020

@Kristina Pratt The fact of the matter is Chase and/or Wells Fargo can cancel and close your account(s) for no reason or for any reason without giving advance notice. They usually will never let you know what the reason was or if you fell into the black hole of "no reason" and you were chosen at random. This recently has happened to me at Chase. I really would like to know the reason because where ever I put my money next the same exact thing can happen to me all over again aka Groundhog Day. Chase is not the only bank that pulls this crap but they seem to do it more than any other national bank chain.

• Ra
    Rachel Smaltz Sep 18, 2007

I started out as a Chemical Bank customer and was quite happy with their service until Chase took over. It's been down hill for the last 20 years. The final straw was when I spoke to a Customer Service rep to inquire into new fees for withdrawal from non-Chase ATMs on top of the withdrawal fee from the institution you are withdrawing from. I asked when had this practice been put into effect and she told me "It's always been this way." Uh, nooo. "I've been a customer for 20 years and this has not been policy, when did these fees start?" She continued to lie and tell me it's always been this way. She must not have understood what I meant.

My other favorite Chase bullsh*t move is when I deposited a secured check for $ 4,000 and Chase chose to slowly make the money available in drips and drabs. Even after 10 business days they chose to make only half of the money available even when the entire check cleared the other bank. I am not some irresponsible child who needs a parent to decided how much of my money to make available to me.

I can't tell you the stress, misery, lost money, lost hours Chase has caused me as a result of funky accounting practices, dishonest representatives and inexcusable behavior. The day I closed my checking and saving account with Chase was one of the most liberating days of my life.

Jamie Rios Oct 14, 2007

I have been making monthly payments for a year on an auto loan through Chase Auto Finance. This past month (Sept.), I received a receipt from the company that they received a payment on 9/15 and next payment due is 10/15. For the past 5 days, I have rec'd hoards of harassing phone calls from collections stating that they never received a payment in Sept. and last payment received was in Aug! They are requesting copies of the checks received from banks, copy of the letters, etc. and in the meanwhile calling 7-9 times per day with both an automated recording and live agents from collections, treating me like a criminal!

• Al
    Alan Miller Jan 27, 2008

In October of 2005, Chase Bank erroneously reported the account I had paid off 6 months earlier to the credit agencies as being charged off due to bankruptcy. I have never filed bankruptcy. After several months of disputing the credit report and Chase denials, they finally agreed that they had made a mistake and linked someone else's bankruptcy to my account. They said they would submit a Universal Update to the three credit reporting agencies, but that they could not "force them to remove the information". Due to the breach of sensitive personal data Chase later agreed to pay for one year credit monitoring on my behalf. I checked my credit report in 2007 and the negative information was no longer showing and my FICO score was in low 800s. Now in January 2008, I was looking to refinance my home and found that the bad information has been resubmitted to the credit agencies and my FICO score is now high 600s.

• Ka
    Katie Richardson Feb 06, 2008

Chase bank cashed a check of mine made out to may landlord. My Landlord did not cash the check, however. Someone who stol the check from the drop box I drop my rent in each month did. Chase is now refusing to pay me a refund, even though it was totally their error.

• Ti
    Tim Polk Mar 01, 2008

Chase Home finance has done everything in their power to add extra charges to my Payments every month! They have added every thing from late charges to late charges fees to processing fees. Plus they would only give me a variable rate loan that adjusted months before they notified me, resulting in foreclosure proceedings. It's like they have no rules to follow. My interest rate is at 10.5 and it started at 7.5. They have never dropped it yet! When I took the loan out, I specifically asked for Disability Insurance, in case I was hurt. A time came when I needed it and Chase tells me that they don't offer such insurance. Over a year later, I called their insurance handler and Disability Insurance is one of their computerized phone options.

chris Mar 02, 2008

I worked for Citi and when this would happen, we could remove the charge as a courtesy, but the interest rate could not be restored: EVER.

If you elevate enough, you may be able to get a 10% or 9% but the 0% is gone.

• Valerie May 07, 2008

Chase does not like Black people. They were involved in Slavery, and they said that they would pay reparations. I don't know about you, but I want mine. Chase preys on Black people, well also Hispanic. They think you're really crazy. They can do horrible things to you. I don't see why the government can't stop them. Do You? These people are so corrupt and they just smile and lie right in your face. They focus on people that have equity in their homes and they will just come take it if you let them. Devilsl...

• Ol
    Oldie Sac Jan 06, 2020

@Valerie I just found out today that they don't like white people either. I will seek legal help tomorrow.

• Va
    Vanessa May 08, 2008

Chase Manhattan can get away wih murder. They still have the mentality of Slavery. They are the one promised to pay Raparations. They will nt leave me alone. Its like a game to them and their are several people that know about their activities but they continue to do it. I'd like to file discrimination aganist Chase Manhattan Home with other charges.
    I know J P Mogan agreed to pay slaves Reparation and Chase still treat me like I'm a slave.

Vanessa Choice
    They can continue to ignore me but God see everything you're doing.

Vanessa Choice

• Do
    Donna Reaves May 19, 2008

Don't get fooled by this Web site its a total scam Global Monitoring and research. I recieved a check in the mail for 3, 880.00 wow (Yeah right) Iam so glad that I had a great resource at my bank who helped me investigate it by looking up who the check was draw off of and asked the right questions, it stopped me from being liable to my bank and for once I didn't become a victim. They send you checks drawn off other companies yet they use there phone number for contact in the mail with instuction on how to send money through western union to them the computer is not a secure place for anyone trying to make money, I perfer to use the mail process for all my computer needs, even looking up information on your interest is not secred they take that and E-mail you worthless everyday.

• Valerie Jul 23, 2008

If you have a problem don't use Chase.com web site to try to get an answer. They will not answer any question or help with a problem, like loan info. All you get is the run around. They answer quickly on their web site, but they only give you a case number, but don't tell you how to get an answer.

jayray Aug 07, 2008

A lot of major credit card and phone companies will base decisions on how profitable a customer is. The reason your late payment fee and interest rate were not changed is because the Advisor's computer most likely said you were not profitable enough to make the change. ATT actually would close accounts of people who called customer service too many times because it cost them more money than they were making.

However, the fact is you were indeed late on your payment, and therefore the bank has ever right to charge you the fee and raise your interest, as does any bank.

I suggest you take this experience as a lesson that when you make payments late, you will be penalized. If someone owed you moeny, you would want them to pay you on time.

• Valerie Aug 12, 2008

I am an active duty member of the Marines and an Iraq War vet. I moved Duty Stations from Virginia to Mass last summer and my wife and I sold our condo at a loss, so that we could complete our military move and have our first child closer to family. The loss although difficult was the right move for us in the current market and we were determined not to file for Chapt. 11 or enter foreclosure. I sold my home and closed my loan with chase on 31 May 2007. I have all closing documents to support this. Chase continued to send me bills and has reported me delinquent with two of three consumer credit reporting agencies, plummeting my credit and sending my family into financial peril. Angela Shelton at Chase has been telling me for months that this would be fixed. It is now January 15th 2008, we cannot get pre-approved for a new mortgage, apply for student loans for my Masters degree and our baby is due in 8 days. Chase Home Mortgage by their negligence and inaccurate reporting of my account history is financially ruining my family.

• Ka
    kamlaben g. patel Aug 30, 2008

bank charged 6 dollars for inactive account request refund charge make account inactive until further instruction or close account transfer balance in to saving account posted letter to day to jp morgan bank na baton rouge la 70826-0180 please reply kgp

• Ta
    tamara Jan 21, 2009

we have a construction ompany, my husband who is a senior citizan., lost his business due to economic times.
    we had a balance of $2800 left on our car loan, we fell behind in our payments.I called like i did every month
    and told them when i was going to pay.They came in the middle of Saturday night and repossed our Van.It had more expensive tools in it, than the van is worth.I thought someone stole it, and called the police.That was when i found out it was repossed.It took 3 days to get the car back after paying incrediable amount of fees.When my husband who by the way is 72 yrs old and is now working as a loborer.so we can eat, Had to make an appt, pay cash of approx$400 to get the van.When he drove it out of the lot, it did not run, you couldn't get it out of 1st gear, but you could go backwards.When i called Chase to tell them this, they said tough luck, call the repo people.When i did 2 hours later some guy showed up and said you can drive it, see! in first gear
    I called many times after, they finally told me to go to some mechnic, who's phone number they did not have or the address, just the steet name.or else they could tow it at my cost
    My husband finally gets there, and the owner said it's 4pm, come back tomorrow at 5am
    nobody cares how people are treated, all they see are $$
    we cannot have this kind of abuse
    as of right now we have a car that ran great, now we cannot use it since it does not drive
    and nobody cares.Chase said it my fault for not paying
    Recovery Services who is in Edison.NJ
    they said tough !would not give me there address or the name of their insurance company

• Yv
    Yvonne Jan 28, 2009

My horrible experience with Chase is exactly as I just read from Richard P. Even down to the conversations an notice of "agrred terms" after the fact. My payment raised from $380 to $950 per month with a new $10 monthly service fee! My credit is exceptional to date with no late pays. Chase is forcing me to ruin my credit standing. They tell me my alternative is to accept to raise my rate from 4.99% fixed to 7.99%. When I took the draw, the agreed upon offer was at 4.99% until paid in full, 3% draw fee, and 2% of balance minimum monthly payemtn. All acceptable, therefore, I accepted the draw. Do they really have the legal right to make these drastice changes on accounts in good standing. I have never been late or over limit on this or any other credit obligation, ever! I have exercised credit for over 35 years! Chase is pushing me over the edge to possible bankruptcy! I hope the government will step in immediately to help the consumer.

• So
    someone who knows better Jan 29, 2009

Chase isn't making any money off of you, they want you to go. They cant afford you right now.

• So
    someone who knows better Jan 29, 2009

Fr the record Chase is one of the country's highest minority employers

• Pe
    Pepina Castellano Feb 04, 2009

I have had the displeasure of having this 'Chase Bank' some time ago. Then I smartened up and dumped them. The comical thing about 'Chase' is they do not like to let a customer go. They thought they could give me a hassle and make me stay with them. In order to close my accounts and take my money out I had to sign a ton of paperwork, show my license, show my social security card, and when they asked for a birth certificate I told the manager to take a walk, that if they didn't give me my money right then and there without the B.S. I was calling the police and making a statement that they would not relinquish MY MONEY!! I had all my money within 10 minutes or less...And yes, they have lousy customer service, both over the phone and in person at their banks.

• Ho
    Houston Feb 06, 2009

CHase is terrible. I've had a credit card with them for years. Not EVER a late payment and a whooping $121 balance, usually paid off at end of month. REcently my mortgage company mistakenly reported my mortgage payment being late. It takes 30 days for the credit bureaus to fix the error on your report. Chase knocked my available credit down from $10K to $500. Had they at least called me I could have faxed the letter from the mortgage company admitting the error. So not only does my own payment history not matter to them they'll change terms at whim!

• C6
    c6Logic Feb 08, 2009

I have been a long standing account holder with Chase Credit for over a decade. I have two of their credit cards, one branded by Amazon. I was contacted by their security 2 months ago regarding suspicious transactions against one of my cards that appeared fraudulent. This was indeed the case. I signed up with their online account service to monitor the transactions for this account and began receiving emails from them at one of my email accounts I use exclusively for business. Then, just the other day, on another email account, I received a notice that my statement was ready. Hmmm, I thought, and opened it up. When I went to their site, I discovered that my other Amazon branded card had been enrolled in paperless delivery and that I had missed a payment and been charged a $29 late fee on a very small balance. When I called customer service and complained that I had not enrolled in paperless delivery, and had never received a statement from them until now, they said, essentially that it was not their problem, since I had obviously enrolled. I said no, I had not, but they were utterly disinterested in the fact that I had not requested paperless delivery for the account, and had not received a statement for the previous month. They also declined to rescind the late fee. When I told them I had never been late on a payment in my life, they were also indifferent. When I told them I would have to terminate our relationship for both cards because of their refusal to take responsibility for the situation they had created, they said, go ahead. I don't know how they stay in business with this attitude, credit cards are a commodity. I won't do business with them again.

• Ya
    yankevich Feb 15, 2009

I worked at chase for several years being their eyes and ears carrying the load of not only a complex but two complex's, I served with dignity and pride because when growing up I was always told if your going to do something always put your best foot forward else put none at all, The job I had was as a security supervisor which meant all chase employees safety depended on my vigilence, knowledge and my ability to act quickly; and that I did, I have dealt with heart attacks, physical attacks, fire alarms, theft and vandalism in the 6 years of service I provided. In the 4th year I asked for a raise because the gas price had began to climb cost a living was going up chase was building newer bigger sites with more expensive apparatus, I had been making the same amount of money for several years and finally I could not survive off my part time job and credit cards anymore so I decided to ask for a raise and for three more years I kept getting the shaft, Finally I got married and decided it was not me alone that I had to think about, I had completed my associates that year and decided to attempt to move on, I gave them notice that I could not survive under the same salary so I was gonna put myself out their and see what faith brings I finally got a job worth something and I gave Chase two weeks notice of my planned departure, It was hard letting go of something that I knew and did so well, As my job was a night shift job I decided to take on the available weekend shift at the site and requested part time status because even though the job I received was going to pay twice the amount I used to make I still had all that debt out there that needed to be paid and a part time gig would have done wonders in lessening those debts. I was told after all those years of service that chase did not want me back on the site. This was very confusing because upon leaving I left an opening that would need someone with in depth knowledge which means training and an additional 3 openings which needed filling.

billy Mar 04, 2009

Jacked interest rate from 3.99% to 19.24% for no reason except to, "Maintain profitability on my account". I pay way beyond the minimum and have never been late. Certified letters don't help but contacting the Comptrollers Office will. Go To Helpwithmybank.gov Press "Start Here" and begin at step 2. Does not take long, but everyone has to do more than complain on the internet...Take action now and stop the gouging/scam/ripoff

billy Mar 04, 2009

File complaints with the above. It is the Comptrollers office who is responsible with National Banks.
    Helpwithmybank.gov

Good stuff

good info billy

• Le
    leesch79 Apr 15, 2009

Unluckily, most credit card issuing banks are allowed to reevaluate your credit score, they do not however have change it back.

Your mortgage company is clearly at fault, and though they remedied the situation, the damage was done. Have you checked your credit? Any of the big 3 can keep something on there after it is supposedly removed.

The most you can do is initiate a legal action against the mortgage company, if that card was a necessity for you

• Da
    dave s May 05, 2009

BOTTOM LINE: DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH CHASE UNLESS OF COURSE YOU ARE A MINDLESS IDIOT WHO FEELS BANKS ARE DOING YOU A FAVOR BECAUSE THEY ARE NICE PEOPLE.

I have called for months trying to get the correct address on my statements. Customer service is rude, unhelpful and not very well trained.

If you call them and want them to do something please thank them and say please, after all, All you do is spend money with them---Its nice of them to take it...They are doing you the favor and they will let you know that...

If you want to file a complaint, they will provide an address. Why...too many will call and complain. Honestly, they DO NOT CARE AS LONG AS THE GOVERNMENT BAILS THEM OUT FOR BAD BUSINESS PRACTICES.

I hope they all go out of business, bailing these big banks out will only make things worse. They are untouchable, unwilling to help and a bunch of horses ###... If Chase goes under or lays off, I will buy the first round to toast the free market society that forced the ungrateful, self righteous banking stewards out of business.

• Po
    pookie May 14, 2009

Two months ago I called Chase Auto Finance to request all the information that I would need to have to register my car in a new state. They didn't send me the correct information although I was very clear what I needed. I called again and stated what had happened and what I needed to register my car. now almost a month later and many calls I still don't have the paperwork. I've called so many times and each time they give me conflicting dates on when things were processed and sent out. When I asked them what will happen if I don't receive it in another week they told me to call back, but that they didn't send out the info/Title.etc. a second time around. I asked them what they would do and they said they would have someone research it. I asked them what I was supposed to do in the meantime as I can't drive my car because it's not registered. They told me that they couldn't do anything once the information was sent. I highly doubt it was sent out when they said it was because things do not take a month to get anywhere. They lie, and give you the runaround. don't believe them. They just make things very ugly and difficult for you.

• Ba
    bass fishing Aug 05, 2009

raising payments and interest what is wrong with chase They have been the cause of all my financial worries. i use to make all payments on time for over 8 years then they raise everything and my credit score is going to go down down down. Its myself and my 12 years old son we recieve no state or federal assistance or child support I have chose to work for a living and pay my own way in life and now this. i was making all my payments just fine now im going deliquent! My son is a nervous wreck at age 12 seeing how this financial worry is getting to his mother. I know i charged them up and I was paying them but now doubling my payments so I default so they can raise my interst to 32.99 % !! Impossible Any advice or help anyone can suggest. I have now started to default on my us bank cards and bank of america due to this crazyness !!!

billy Aug 06, 2009

Everyone,

get off of the complaint board and do something. File a complaint with the Federal Comptrollers Office who is responsible for federal banks like chase. Be sure to mention "Gouging", A key word to get results. Start at step 2. It worked for me in an astounding way!!!

You won't regret it
    billy

• Li
    Lidna Luttrell Aug 07, 2009

I paid these jerks $300 a month, on time very month. My minimum payment was $50-$75 per month. They cancelled my card because I'm retired and everything else Ihave is paid for. Guess I wasn't in hock enough to be worthy of their 4K credit line. That $250 per month will stay in my savings from now on...thanks for the info!

• Cl
    claude d hatcher Aug 12, 2009

Min payment demand went from less than $300.a month to over $700 a month.
    I have been a custermer since 2001 have never missed a payment or been late.

Melissa L Aug 12, 2009

I would definitely be calling the company to find out what's going. I've never heard of a "minimum" balance being over $700!? That doesn't really make any sense there!

Melissa L Aug 12, 2009

If your min is that much you must have a ton on your card! I know my min has never been more than $100 and I've had balances between 8k and 9k over the past 2 years.

• Vi
    victorh Aug 19, 2009

Chase bank is robbing me blind I had $172 in the bank. 2 checks came before my electronic paycheck deposit. One check was for $176 another was $54.63. Chase ran the $176 check through, creating a negative, charged me insufficient fees then ran the second check ($54.63) then charged me again. This is screwing me. I want to get even.

Melissa L Aug 19, 2009

Um, this sounds like it's your own fault that this happened NOT Chase Bank! If you would have had the sufficient amount of funds in your account before using checks for other things, then you wouldn't have had to worry about getting the negative balance and the fees that go along with it. Don't blame Chase for your mistake!

• Pa
    pausercv Aug 19, 2009

What do you mean by "Get even with them"? I hope that you do not do anything malicious to them.

• Fl
    floridamom Aug 20, 2009

Chase will not work with you if you have had trouble paying a credit card bill. Due to a layoff we had one income for 5 people. I had a balance on a credit card from Washington Mutual and I got on a payment program with them for $100.00 a month and no interest. Washington was consumed by Chase. Chase not only didn't let me stay on the agreement, they didn't notify me and now is charging me $39.00 a month because I am over the limit and 20% interest. And, they won't work with me until I get it under the limit. They asked me to list my expenses to see if I qualify for a program in the future and all they looked at was mortgage and car payment. I said what about groceries, gas, lights and water? They would not consider these. In my opinion, they're crooked, who can I report them to?

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices