Having problems with CenturyLink?

CenturyLink Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 244 1111 (Headquarters)
+1 877 348 9005 (Internet Service)
+1 877 348 9007 (Phone Service)
+1 866 314 4148 (Prism TV Service)
+1 866 963 6665 (Ordering Services)
+1 800 423 8994 (Payment Specialists)
+1 877 837 5738 (Moving Services or Billing & General Customer Service)
+1 877 803 8414 (Disconnect or Cancel Services)
930 15th St. 11th Floor
Denver, Colorado

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with CenturyLink Customer Service. Initial CenturyLink complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for CenturyLink above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about CenturyLink. Discuss the issues you have had with CenturyLink and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

CenturyLink Complaints & Reviews

CenturyLinkservice

I have never in my life had such poor customer service as with Centurylink. If you decide to do business with them, GET IT IN WRITING, their business ethic is horrible.
In June of 2012 I had a Centurylink representative call to sell me on their new Prism TV. The rep stated that I could try their TV for FREE for 30 days and get a $100 Visa gift card just for trying it. I told him that I already had Dish Network and was under contract for at least a year. The rep again stated that I have nothing to lose by trying and as long as I canceled within the 30 days, I would not be billed and if I decided I liked it they may be able to work something out to pay my cancelation fee to Dish. He stated that they could come and just install the Prism on one TV so we can compare. I stated back “So, I can sign up for this trial and as long as I cancel within 30 days, I will not be billed and I will receive a $100 gift card?” the rep stated that I was correct. So I figured I would go for it and if I didn’t like it I did not lose anything but if I liked it they would work out getting rid of Dish and either way I got a $100 gift card. So I signed up. They came out the next week and installed the Prism on one of our TVs on June 11th.
Three weeks later during the week of June 25th I received my Centurylink bill and on it was an extra $75 for this Prism TV. I immediately called and asked why I got charged and the customer service rep stated that I am supposed to get charged for the service and then they will refund it if I do not like it and cancel within 30 days. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO that would mean that if I did like it then I would pay both Dish Network and Centurylink for the same service for one month…………………. That is a disincentive to continue on with them right there. THAT MAKES NO SENSE. Anyway I told them that was not what the sales rep told me and I specifically asked about being billed, and they assured me as long as I cancel within the 30 days there would be no charges. I told him to cancel the service immediately and I don’t want to have anything else to do with. The customer service rep canceled my service and he stated that it would be discontinued as of July 6th and I had 30 days to return the equip (they would send someone to put it in my house but not someone to pick it up). So it got canceled and I told him I would not pay it and he said it is fine, but it may up to 60 days to show a credit on my bill. I asked about the $100 gift card and he gave me a website to check the status and I did and it showed that it was on track just not mailed out yet. (NO MENTION THAT IF I CANCEL WITHIN 8 WEEKS THAT I WOULD NOT GET THE GIFT CARD).
Come July 6th, I am working from home and as I try to log in for work I realize I cannot….. Come to find out it is because I did not have any internet service. So again I called Centurylink and asked what NOW is going on with my internet, and a customer service rep informed me that because they did not have their equipment back that they cut off my internet……… I explained that the last guy stated that I had 30 days to bring it back and I asked how they could cut my internet even though I am paying for it. She said there was nothing she could do and until I returned the equipment that they would not turn on my internet. I of course asked to speak to someone else and she transferred me. By the end of the conversation it took me over two hours to get my internet turned back on. So I of course was livid but decided to move on.
Then on around July 15th I received my next bill. And not only did they not refund me all my money but they charged me more for some weird promotion. So again I called. And another customer service rep stated that they received the equipment after the billing cycle so they did not refund the rest of the money and some sort of computer glitch caused the overcharging of those other things…… And on top of that they had the nerve to charge me a $5.00 late penalty for not paying the Prism even though he stated that was fine to do. So anyway, she fixed it and removed the misc charges and late penalty. I asked again about the $100 gift card and she said I should receive it by the end of July.
So here we are on July 31st. I call Centurylink again to find out where the $100 gift card was since it was not the end of July and I have not seen it. The customer service rep stated that I would not be receiving this gift card because I canceled within 8weeks….. I let him know that was not what the sales rep sold me on and it was very clear that if I canceled within the 30days that I would receive this Visa gift card and I had asked several other reps up to this point that knew I had canceled and NO ONE said anything about this. I asked him to pull the tape so they can hear and I was informed that they do not keep them this long. To make another long story short, he said there was nothing he could do, and pass me up to his supervisor, who also said there was nothing he could do, who passed me to his supervisor, who said there was nothing she was going to do about it. I told her that I am seriously considering canceling all my services with Centurylink and she said that would be fine. So at this point I am in the market for new phone and internet service and the moment I find it I am canceling all ties with this company.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND doing business Centurylink, their customer service is AWFUL, and their business practices are very shady.

• Sh
      shadybuzziness Feb 06, 2013

Yes they r shady and sneaky I bet they had all kinds notes about you under your account

• Me
      Melissacat Oct 22, 2012

I totally agree with you that Century Link is screwed up.
      If I call to ask a question about my account and inform that I'm having trouble paying my bill, guess what they do? They try to sell me more products and services even though I just told them that I'm already having a hard time paying what I owe. But they keep telling me that by buying more products and services I will save money. They talked me into buying a lap top from them. They told me that the lap top was going to be divided up into 6 monthly payments. But instead they charged me the full amount at the same time. So my bill was over $200. When I called to ask why the bill wasn't split up into 6 monthly payments they said that it's because they can't split it up into payments. Even though that's what the sale person told me they would do when I signed up. I"m tired of them trying to sell me stuff every time I call to pay my bill. It is so annoying. I only have $200 after paying my rent each month. I just sent an email to century link threatening to leave. I want to send the lap top back. And I want my phone and internet disconnected. And I want to buy a disposable cell phone from the store. That way I won't be obligated to pay a phone bill every month. With a disposable cell phone I can just add minutes if I want more minutes. But won't be obligated to pay a monthly bill if I don't want to.

Centurylink Internethorrible product - rip off!!! stay away!!!

I started a contract with centurylink for $29.99 a month. I come to find out that the incompetent sales representative I spoke with over the phone got my name and address wrong. When I didn't have Internet on my expected date I call customer service to find out what went wrong, I am told that I have to resubmit my information and wait again for service! I should have known then to turn and run! I don't find out until my next bill that I am being charged $49.99 a month because when I had to resubmit my information it fell outside of the "special offer" time frame, although no fault of my own, I was being charged an extra $20.00. Nothing I can do about it because I am already confined to an ill conceived contract. Throughout my short lived 6 month stay with the company the Internet ran slow and didn't work half the time. I began full time school and only worked weekends so I decided that I no linger wanted to pay for horrible Internet service that I could get for free at school. When I went to cancel I was told that I would be charged $179 to terminate this nightmare of an experience. After explaining that my inability to work full time made it impossible to pay the final disconnect bill, I asked to be placed under some financial assistance to make payments on the final bill, I at least wanted to pay the bill... I was told no! I would be charged a ridiculous amount to cancel but they were not going to anything to help make sure their bill was paid in full, I would just going to have to be ok with being sent to collections. Their product is horrible, their customer service represenatives do not live up to the name and they have zero disregard for people! Centurylink is a joke, enter into a contract at your own risk... You are sure to regret your decision in NO time!!!

Century Link/prism Tv — poor tv services

Prism TV is very poor. My TV kept having pixelation and constant freezing, and nobody know how to really fix...

Centurylink Internet Service — hidden fees, and company sales person lied about a fee that was hidden in paperwork

We decided to try centurylink for our internet provider, we asked directly to the salesman that if the...

Qwestcaller alledges lower credit card interest rates

This is an automated call which I have been receiving for several months now. They call at least twice per week. The recording alledges that they can lower my credit card interest rates. Then states that if I want to speak to a representative, press "1". When I do a human voice comes on the phone and I ask to have my name removed from their calling database. It is always at this time that the caller hangs up. I continue to get calls. This happens on my landline phone and now this week is happening on my cell phone. I never give out my cell phone number to businesses in order to avoid just this type of nuisance. This number that calls me is listed as belong to Qwest out of Phoenix, AZ. I am trying to contact the CEO of Qwest to put a stop to this. I am also filing a police report for harrassment at my local police department to get it on record. This style of telemarketing practice must be stopped.

B. Deutsch
      Belleville, IL

Century Linklies, upon lies.

This company is the devil. They lie about everything and do nothing. I have been having issues with my Internet for a year and they have yet to help. On top of that I wanted to sign up for their Prism tv service. I was told on Tuesday it would be 135 plus tax for all of the services. I asked for an email to be sent with that info and he said ok. Next day, no email. Called again, they said after talking to a supervisor they will send it again and it was still 135 plus tax for everything. Called back today, two days later, and was told emails cant be sent so they transferred me to a supervisor. She says no way can they send emails, because how could they lie so much? She also says my bill will be 166 plus tax and I ask how the heck did that happen? She says there is no indication of th 135 plus tax on my account. So she calls me a liar all while not caring about the two other different people who found it on my account at 135. So they lied and hoped I wouldn't catch it before I entered my contract and then screw me. So I canceled that install and will now be going elsewhere. They are crooks and ###. I will be telling every customer at my work about them.

• CenturyLink's response · Jun 07, 2012

Jeff,

I'm one of the supervisors within the executive office of CenturyLink. Very sorry to learn about your experience with our company. If there's anything I can do to help, please contact me. You can reach myself, or my team, through email or our support page (which also comes to our email inbox).
            [email protected] -or- http://bit.ly/IArNlt
            If you do decide to contact us, please include a link to this thread so we can make sure we're starting off on the same page.

Best regards,
            -Doug
            @CenturyLinkHelp

Centurylink Dslslow speed

After years of no internet service other than dial up, CenturyLink (or it's predecessors) installed dsl in our neightborhood. It ran at 1.5Mb. Then they installed more stuff so we could get 3.0Mb which I have had for several years. Recently it was behaving badly and I called to complain and the solution was to reduce my speed back to 1.5Mb even though the equipment is still capable of 3Mb. Their explination was that the equipment was old ans they have mot maintained it and have no plans to replace or upgrade it. A mile away you can get 12 Mb form CenturyLink for the same price as I pay for 1.2 Mb down and o.2 download speeds. CenturyLink Sucks, they know and don't care.

• Kl
              Kleh Dec 25, 2012

I totally agree with Roger E. We live in New Mexico in a rural area. We are paying for 1.5 mbps but only get about 0.35 most of the time. I don't think that CenturyLink should charge full price for internet service speed services that the customer never gets.
              CenturyLink is a company that really doesn't care about their customers. I have complained time and time again about the extremely slow internet service at my home, but nothing is ever done about fixing the problem
              Keith L.

CenturyLinkovercharged me greatly

I ordered Centurylink and talked it over with my DirectTV and they explained the cost would be $14.95 modem and 49.95 standard installation plus taxes. Then Centurylink called me to confirm my installation date and time and I again asked the cost for this and they told me $14.95 s&h for the modem and installation was free to which I replied then why is the installer coming out. I was told to bring the modem. When the person from Centurylink came out he brought the modem and proceeded to install the line to my house to which I asked is there a charge for this because I have cable to my house and he replied NO CHARGE. So you can imagine my surprise when I got a bill for $219.00 dollars from them. They charged me $5 for partial mo. internet one-time charge for internet of $19.95 plus $34.95 for 1st mo. internet and $49.95 for standard installation. Then $99.99 for the modem which was never explained to me I have to buy there modem.Then $10.67 in sales tax. Then when I called I was told those were the charges and I explained that is not what I was told the charges were to be even though I asked several different people. She explained I could go to their finance payment plan to pay it. At which time I told them I wish to disconnect service with them if this is the way they do business and the centurylink person said OK and sent me to disconnect. There I was greeted by a person who I tried to explain my situation and why I was disconnecting who thought it was terribly funny and proceeded to comply with disconnecting my service. Beleive me when I say this company is very shady in it’s business practices. In all my years with comcast I have never been treated with such disregard and humiliation as I was with Centurylink. Well I’m going back to Comcast where at least there I know what the cost is and will be on a regular monthly basis.

• CenturyLink's response · Jul 24, 2012

Hey Hoka, I am sorry to hear that you had such a frustrating experience. There definitely could have been a better experience with the explaination of the billing and how it works. It is true that when you start service you will be billed for the service the prorated cost per day from activation date to the bill date and then the normal month in advance going from the bill date foward to the close. Generally when you sign up for a promotional price for discounted monthly service the prorated portion is not discounted because your promotion is for "full month" billing verses partial. If you would like I would be happy to review your account specifically. Please send your account information to me at [email protected] for further questions or help.

Thanks,
                Rich
                Centurylink Help Team

• Ho
                Hoka Jul 03, 2012

I ordered my internet service through my Dish order and ran into the similar problem.. and think CenturyLink is more than 'shady'..
                I think CenturyLink seriously needs to be investigated and stopped their deceptive sales AND billings stopped..
                I was sold a supposed discounted internet service only to receive my first billing at $143...3/THREE times the quoted price.. among other surprises/contradictions of what I would be charged for...
                The most outrageous 'theft' was when I questioned my billing, to be told because of the purchase date, I was being charged for 28 days that were being prorated..?.. apparently because they bill a month in advance, instead of taking the first month up front, they didn't bill til the end of the billing cycle AND then prorated it which they say does NOT qualify for the discount...?!... as well as added an additional installation fee not mentioned originally...
                The rep that 'explained all this to me also admitted, had I waited to commit til their actual billing cycles end, I'd have been billed less because there would have been less days.. !?
                I don't hold GoDish.com responsible and have contacted them about CenturyLinks' deceptive actions, as I've a friend who already had their phone and internet service, who when she cancelled her landline service, ran into the same billing surprise...
                .. unfortunately I've heard Comcasts' pricing also outrageous and about to go up again so for now I'm stuck...

CenturyLinkfraud telephone and internet services

Centurylink fraud: I had Centurylink telephone and Internet service for over a year. Last August (2011) I canceled telephone service and kept Internet service. The new charge was $39.19 per month with the statement showing a $20.00 credit. I didn’t know what the credit was for but in January (2012) I discovered that it was a trap to defraud. In January (2012) I canceled Internet service and was told the I would have to pay $200.00 penalty for canceling Internet service. I was told that when I canceled the previous telephone service, that I had made a one year verbal contract for the Internet service. That was the reason for the $20.00 credit.

I didnot agree to any verbal one year contract. The so called verbal contract is totally fictitious and a scam to defraud the customers that are canceling service. The actual charge for the Internet service was $59.19, so the net fraudulent ripoff will be about $100.00. Beware of CenturyLink-”thieves and liars”…

I just had a chat with a Centurylink CSR. I am on a budget as a single mom of two and trying to make ends meet. In this economy I think this is something everyone understands. I am not looking for freebies. I am looking for concessions to work with my situation. As a company the practical concern is to secure customers. Long terms use of your services would bring more return than the trivial fees that make your product inaccessible to low income customers. I can afford the 40 a month but cannot afford the 40 dollars of feels on top of this nor the 50 dollars ON TOP OF THAT to get the product set up.

But from my chat with your Centurylink rep you have no desire or consideration whatsoever to work with your prospective customers to get around this in a way that could be affordable. This is really disappointing and I feel this will greatly hurt you in the long run. Even leases for homes allow high deposits to be spaced out over a period of months to accomodate these situations. But from the position of your company its pay up or get out. Ill be posting this conversation on facebook and my blog as this is something that I think others would like to address as well. I am sorry that we could not come to a workable situation but should you want to work this out feel free to contact me.

• El
                  Elizabeth Phephenyane Jun 18, 2012

My name is Nkhensani and I am 60yrs old. Some evil wicked person wrote to Moghozi and tell them I am 35yrs
                  and I was looking for a young men
                  Is it possible to cancel this, it makes my life a living hell not forgetting my grand children. I get more than 100 phone call at night

Centurylink Qwest — billing errors, fees, tla fees

WARNING: Do Business With CenturyLink/Qwest At Your OWN Risk! As You’re Playing With a Very LARGE, dumb, and...

Century Linkignoring power of attorney

First only my husband's name is on the account. He is not reachable at this time. I have his Durable FULL Power of Attorney. I call Century Link and ask what they need from me to put me on the account and tell them I have his power of attorney. I get told "We need to talk to him" I explain I am HOLDING his power of attorney and ask again what they need from me to put me on the account. "We can't. We need to talk to him.' I then explain that the next person they will be talking to will be my Lawyer and a State representive for refusing to provide me with information about what they need [which should be a certified copy of the power of attorney and other documents attesting that I have it] because this makes me "Him" in business matters. I get told "We have to talk to him." Can you say LAW SUIT Century Link? I'm sure the state utilities commission won't be happy with you either and you can bet your bippy I am complaining to them.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THE COMPANY IF YOU CAN AVOID IT. They don't have a brain or a clue. No other business has such poorly educated staff that they do not understand POWER OF ATTORNEY. We are stuck with them. First chance I get, I'm gone.

Centurylink Dslultra unreliable service

I have had CenturyLink DSL in two of my rental homes for several years. I am an engineering director with expert level knowledge in networking. Over the past couple of years CenturyLink DSL with Static IP service has become ultra unreliable. I use the service to provide wireless internet service to guests in my rental homes but more importantly I use it to control HVAC, Swiming pool, Lawn Sprinklers, alarm system and security cameras remotly from Connecticut. The service has gone down 4 times in the past two years for periods exceeding a week and in one instance over two weeks. In every case it was a failure of CenturyLink equipment or programming errors at Century link office. Since I live 1500 miles from these two homes the script driven tech support is TOTALLY USELESS. I am currently experiencing an outtage at my home along with several surrounding homes with no end in sight. I am now exploring every possible option to get out of DSL hell. The support is in describably bad, on one (of many) occasion(s) after spending a week arguing with tech support i flew to Florida and met with them the Level 2 tech promised never showed up. Instead they sent a unqualified level 1 tech to investigate why my staticIP connection did not work. When he left he had disabled my phone service and reconfigured my DSL for dynamic IP, making the problem worse. I then had to call tech support AGAIN and beg to talk to a level 2 tech. After an hour on the phone the level 2 tech determined that the origional problem was that someone had accidentally deleted my account from the servers and switches. I had two more similar incidents over the past two years and I am currently enduring a fourth incident. I have totally had it with this company.

• Lo
                      loup31 May 08, 2012

Update. I got service back yeasterday after my wife insisted that the technicial check to see if they had mis programmed line back to a dynamic IP AGAIN. This has been the end cause of all four extended outtages. Apparently when there is a problem inthe system they fix the issue making sure that all of the dynamic IP customers are restored but do not check on everyone. Until she refused to get off the phone till teh tech checked we continued to get the run around. This one took 3 calls a day for 5 days to fix total outtage time was 5 days. Cause Software error.

Century Linkpoor service and prices

Century Link has got to be one of the worst Internet service providers that has, is, and will ever exist. I had wireless Internet service from Qwest, which Century Link bought out. Falling for Century Link's line of bull, I upped the speed of my Internet service. Three Century Link reps told me the monthly fee was the same as my current one. Ha! My fee increased by $11 a month, and when I inquired about the increase, the customer service rep told me, "That's just what it costs." She added that some of the fee was "taxes". I asked why the "taxes" weren't separated out on my bill. She sputtered. To add insult to injury, the "increased" speed on my Internet service is slower than it was with the lesser Qwest speed. This, a tech told me, is because of my router, which I had been told by 3 other reps would handle the new speed. Even the tech told me the router would handle the speed. Then, realizing what she'd admitted, switched to the problem being my phone jack, which, evidently, suddenly became defective once Century Link service took over. And, the router didn't work at first, so when I talked to the tech I asked her to solve that problem. She was too dim to instruct me to shut it off for 30 seconds, then turn it back on -- a standard fix, I've now been told by 4 friends who are better techs than the Century Link tech. (The router does work now.) But, I can no longer stream movies to my TV through my blue-ray as I used to be able to do with Qwest (at a lower speed, remember). I've heard lots of complaints about Century Link around here, especially about the company's very high, and apparently arbitrary fees. Horrible service, tech service is a joke, prices are outrageous, and service reps tell customers different stories. A bad company. I hope they sell out to a company with high professional and customer service standards.

• Re
                        REWagner May 05, 2012

Well, Hon, not from me.

CenturyLink — slow internet

I'm with CenturyLink in Tazewell, TN. I pay for 10 Mb. After getting the internet hooked up the first...

Tazewell

CenturyLinkthis company needs to be looked at about their deceptive practices

I called them about my bill, it was higher then normal after I called about somthing. The girl told me I was due an up grade on my dsl at no extra cost to me.I said, sure. Then the the Sept.2011 bill is 22.00 higher. I called and they said I had agreed to a more expensive package and also a 1 yr. contract. I never agreed to that or was ever told about it. I called and talked to a supervisior and she said I couldnt go back to my old package because they no longer had it.I asked if the calls were recorded and she said yes. I ask thaat the 2 calls I had made be reviewed and prove to me that I agreeded, she said that the reps.

Had made notes and I told her I was scammed and she said, Im sorry you feel that way. Now I cant even change to another company for home phone and dsl because I will have to pay that contract. I don't know how to start a class action suit but this company needs to be looked at about their deceptive practices.

Centurylink Internetslow speed

I signed up for internet + TV for one year, but they couldn't install TV due to the location of my apartment. Now they won't let me cancel the internet unless I pay the early termination fee. Also, they told me I'll be getting download speed up to 40 Mbps but I keep getting less than 10 Mbps. I called customer service and they told me connect the laptop via the Ethernet cable, interestingly I got 19.7 Mbps then I ran the the test on my other laptop which was connected wirelessly and I got the same. Few hours later I ran the test again and I kept getting 7 Mbps. This is ridicules I'm stuck with them for 12 months.

CenturyLink — 5 year price lock rip off

We had a sales rep come to our home in October 2011 and after several hours we agreed to services. The...

Century Link / Questinternet interruptions

I am in Loveland, Co. I pay for 20 MB speed with Century Link, formerly Quest. My problem is frequent Internet interruptions. Manually rebooting the modem usually solves the problem but it takes several minutes from rebooting till able to connect again. This can happen several times an hour sometimes. After a very unhelpful call to CL support, in which I was told I either had it hooked up wrong, didn't have the right router, my modem was bad, etc, I was rudely told that had I purchased a real Quest modem I wouldn't be having this problem. My modem says Quest right on it. I was told I would need to purchase another one and that should fix the problem. These modems are near $100 dollars on sale. I borrowed a friend's Quest modem and it does the same thing. The interruptions are causing severe problems for my online college classes. Any suggestions?

• Mi
                              Mistypilgrim Jan 21, 2013

I have exactly the same problems. I have to reboot my modem every evening at least once to get it to work, and it's one that I'm "renting" from Century link. Te last modem just quit completely and had to be replaced. I'm wondering if it's time to do that again.

• Bi
                              BigMeanGreen Apr 26, 2012

Doug, the first step CL needs to take is called being accountable. Customers hate the excuses CL routinely gives, and hearing that CL is never at fault for our poor connections. Mine was great with QWEST, now I have drop outs all the time, they are not on my end. I just wasted a hour trying to get help from CL. Is CL's time more valuable than mine? I can see by the thousands of posts that CL needs to make some big changes. CL can't fix their connections speed until they are accountable for the problems they have. I will be one of thousands who switch to an honest ISP.

• @CenturyLinkHelp Apr 02, 2012

Hey there.

Thank you for taking the time to post your complaint about your services with CenturyLink. The team I'm a part of has the ability to look into specific cases of chronic connection issues, such as yours, and work towards a resolution.

In order to get started, would you please email us the details of the issue as well as the account number/information?

Best regards,
                              -Doug

@Centurylinkhelp Team

Centurylink / Prism — horrible service

Centurylink/Prism is by far the worst service I have ever had. For months and months, I have had TV and...

Century Link Internetfalse advertising

I signed up for internet service from Century Link and told them I needed my house connected to their lines outside. I had a modem and would take care of the rest. The sent me a 100 dollar modem and nobody came out to connect my house. When I called and complained, I was told someone would be out the next day. A serviceman showed up, took one look and told me my house was not connected to their lines (DUHHH). I told him that is why he was here. He left, saying that was my problem, not his. I called Century link, cancelled any service, sent back the unordered modem, and told them what I thought of them.
                            Today I get a bill for 88 dollars for the service that was never hooked up and was advertised at 35 dollars a month. I never had service with them, and I tell you now, I never will. BUYER BEWARE.