Having problems with CenturyLink?

+1 800 244 1111 (Headquarters)
+1 877 348 9005 (Internet Service)
+1 877 348 9007 (Phone Service)
+1 866 314 4148 (Prism TV Service)
+1 866 963 6665 (Ordering Services)
+1 800 423 8994 (Payment Specialists)
+1 877 837 5738 (Moving Services or Billing & General Customer Service)
+1 877 803 8414 (Disconnect or Cancel Services)
930 15th St. 11th Floor
Denver, Colorado

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with CenturyLink.

Complaints & Reviews

Qwestfraudulent and unlawful fee by qwest

03/29/2010
My husband had been a customer of Qwest for the last 8 (eight) years and we've always paid our bill on time and we have never missed a payment.

Problem: We are being charged for a $200 fee as part of a "2-year internet plan" that we NEVERsigned up for or agreed upon. We called in to disconnect service and it was WAIVED by an employee named EMMA, but it seemed like that fact was totally ignored and then they're still charging us $200 the early termination fee.

Details: On Monday, February 15, 2010; at 11:50a PST, my husband, Ryan, spoke on the phone with one of Qwest' Customer Service employees, Emma, to let her know we were moving out and needed to disconnect our phone and internet service. She mentioned the $200 fee as a penalty of early disconnection, he told her he never agreed to such a contract. She spoke with her manager, who AGREED to WAIVE the erroneous fee. Emma then told him an updated bill would be sent to us reflecting the correct final charge. We never received it. (If they are a reputable and such a reliable company they can access the recording of this call, it will prove that she WAIVED the fee for us.)

After emailing them again a couple weeks later, we received a reply from "Nancy"on 03/04/10 apologizing and informing me that the revised final bill would be sent immediately. We finally received the bill for $248, still incorrect! We chatted online with Customer Service again with "Juan" at the "Idaho office". After explaining everything to him, he informed us that no one there could help me, and that we would have to wait until the next morning to speak with the billing department.

On March 16, 2010 @ 9:38a, Ryan contacted the billing office and asked for the manager. Darren at the Boiseoffice answered. Once again, Ryan explained everything to him, including his conversation with Emma. The manager argued with him about this $200 fee for about ten minutes, insisting that it was valid and justified, even though we have NEVER signed up for any yearly plan! The manager then continued to say that we were sent information about this multiple times, which we were NOT!! Ryan told him this a number of times, but the manager wouldn't listen and continued to insist that Ryan just doesn't remember, and treated him like he was either making it all up or didn't know what he was talking about. The fact is, Emma had already waived the fee!!

We are completely furious and frustrated with this company! The $200 charge is unfair and UNWARRANTED! He has been a customer of Qwest for years, but if this is how we are going to be treated by them, we will have no hesitation to look elsewhere for professionalism, competence and decent customer service.

Reply #1 from Qwest:

Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 16:59:38 -0500
From: Qwest.[protected]@qwest.com
Subject: Re: Qwest.com Customer Support (KMM16888259I15977L0KM)

Dear Ryan,
Thank you for your recent e-mail inquiry to Qwest in regards to the 200.00 early disconnection fee. There is not a paper agreement you would have signed to set this up. It's done as a verbal agreement. At the time the service is ordered we send you a thank you letter confirming the changes that have been made to your account. In this letter it explains that you've entered into a 2 year agreement and it provides you the terms of the agreement. We also remind you every month when the bill prints that you are receiving a reduced monthly rate becuase of your 24 month term agreement and the date the agreement expires.

The discount you have recieved every month based on this agreement is 10.00. In some cases when an agreement is being disputed we will remove the 200.00 fee but go back and bill you for the months you received the 10.00 discount in error. In your case you had the service for 20 months and received a 10.00 discount per month. Unfortunately the amount of discount you received totals the amount you are being billed for with the early disconnection.

I can go ahead and remove the 200.00 early disconnection fee but we will need to go back and bill you for the 10.00 discount you were receiving monthly because of the agreement you did not sign up for.

Michele
eService Supervisor
Qwest Customer Care
Consumer Markets

Our reply:

Michele,

As I've stated many times before, I never agreed to any such contract - verbal or physical - nor have I ever received any letter about being in such a contract. As for the $10/month discount on my bill, that was from packaging two services - phone and internet - NOT because of a 2-year contract I had supposedly signed up for. So yes, you can go ahead and get rid of the $200 fee since I was never in that agreement in the first place (as you stated). I was told it was already waived anyway.

---Ryan Bollman

Reply #2 from Qwest:

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:16:55 -0500
From: Qwest.[protected]@qwest.com
To: [protected]@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: Qwest.com Customer Support

Dear Ryan,
I understand your frustration with this issue, howerver both You and Qwest are responsible for making sure you are getting the services you requested at the price you agreed to. We provide you a detailed bill each month in case there was an error made on our part. Up until you disconnected your account there were no calls questioning the discounts you were getting or why your bill stated you were in an agreement that expires in 2010.
I can meet you half way on this as you have been an excellent customer with Qwest and adjust 100.00 of the 200.00 fee. You may not have received the thank you letter that was sent but the information has been provided on your bill every month since the service was connected.
You were receiving 2 different discounts on your phone bill for the Internet service. You were getting a 5.00 bundle savings discount and a 10.00 Promotional Discount.
It appeared on your bill each month as follows:
Your savings this month
Thank you for being a valued Qwest customer with Savings for Bundling.-Internet Service. Bundle Savings based on the 1 product(s) you currently have is $5 per month. This bill includes a Bundle Savings of $5.00.
You are receiving a reduced monthly rate for your Qwest Connect service because of your 24 month term commitment. Your agreement expires on 06-19-2010.

Bundle Savings Discount

eService Supervisor
Qwest Customer Care
Consumer Markets

Update (06/22/2011):
My husband is still receiving letters from the collection company saying that he still owed Qwest $175 and his credit is completely ruined because of this fraudulent and unlawful fee. Years and years of good credit down the drain because of this. I feel like there should be a civil lawsuit against this company.

Qwest — did not recive the $150 visa gift card as promised for switching from comcast

First our best friends signed up for a bundle deal and were told they would recieve a $150 Visa card for...

Century Linkfinal billing

So the Century Link customer representative says that "they" always do this: turn final bills over to collections before issuing the final bill. That's right. We moved out of their service area, notified the company, and received both the final bill and the collection agency statement on the same day from Century Link and there was a difference of $50 between the bills that Century Link could not explain. We were told that this is how Century Link conducts business and if you choose to pay your bill. it might take up to 30 days to get it corrected with the collection agency. Well this is how I do business; report this fraud to everyone I can including the FCC. Not sure anyone really cares but it sounds like our final bill was already sold to collections before we had a chance to pay it.

CenturyLinkJoey Jun 06, 2011

TomnDeb,

My name is Joey and I'm with CenturyLink. I'm sorry to read about the trouble you've had with our company. If you email me at [protected]@CenturyLink.com I'll be glad to look into the issue for you. Just be sure to include your name, account information and reference your post here on complaintsboard.com. Thanks.

CenturyLinkbilling

August 2010 I ended service with century link because they charged me 85 dollars more than they told me. when I asked they told me I had agreed which I had not. I paid my bill in full and canceled the service. Since then until now, June 2011, I continue to get bills. I have spoken withat least a dozen customer service reps (I have names and dates on each). I have emailed. I have ignored it and been sent to their collection services. Every time I get a bill I call, they say sorry, oops, we will fix it...yet they bill continue to come. I am beginning to feel like I am being harrassed. any suggestions

• Si
          silensus Nov 06, 2010

Centurylink guaranteed that the monthly internet service for the first 9 months was 29.99 plus the charge to rent a modem, which is 4.99. The modem they gave me didn't work, and so I called Centurylink and they said they would send me a brand new one. What they didn't say was that I would be charged for replacing the broken one they gave me. In addition there is a random 19.99 Pure Solutions Bundle charge per month that was not included in their original 29.99 internet service guarantee. I don't even know what the Pure Solutions Bundle provides me with if it is listed separately that the internet service. Centurylink is HORRIBLE and I would recommend Verizon.

CenturyLinkJoey Nov 08, 2010

silensus,

My name is Joey and I'm with CenturyLink. I'm sorry to read about the trouble you've had with our company. I would be happy to help out. Just email your name, account information and any other helpful details on the issue to [protected]@CenturyLink.com.

Thanks,

EOS CCA
          P.O. Box 556
          Norwell, MA 02061

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing to dispute a recent invoice I was given and was forced to pay for regarding my Century Link account. First off let me say that the name on my Social Security card ending in 1527 is Wayne Stafford.
          When I called Century Link to make an account I had a complication with my roommates about what service we should have and I didn’t go through with making the account. A few days later I called Century Link again and created an account with my name at my home, 1300 Westward Drive Fort Collins, CO, 80521. Within a few weeks I realized that the first time I called Century Link I did make an account and it was for the same address, under the same social security number but with the name Wayne Stassord, which is not my name. How I realized this was that at this time and from then on I was receiving two bills at the same house, for the same service, under the same social security number; one for Wayne Stafford and one for Wayne Stassord.
          The point I’m trying to make is that I was billed twice for the same service. For weeks I called Century Link customer service about resolving the problem. I was able to finally end the duplicate Wayne Stassord account, but I was still being sent invoice letters for that account and I was told repeatedly by Century Link representatives that the situation would ‘fix itself’. Months have gone by and that is obviously not the case.
          Century Link is an incredibly poorly managed business whose customer service representatives have absolutely no care for the customer. I will not only spread the word on Century Links stupidity and thievery, but if this isn’t resolved and my money refunded then I will seek legal action against Century Link.
          I paid the invoice over the phone to avoid damage to my credit report and I have also sent the mailed bill for the Wayne Stassord account. Please look into the Wayne Stafford and Wayne Stassord Century Link accounts at 1300 Westward, Fort Collins, Colorado, 80015 with the last four digits the security number ending in 1527, and you’ll see they have been active during the same period of time resulting in me, Wayne Stafford, being billed twice for the same monthly service.
          Thank you for your time and I hope you can see to approving my dispute.

Wayne Stafford,
          [protected]
          [protected]@rams.colostate.edu

• Cy
          cyndyblu Dec 28, 2013

My complaint is about century link billing. I have their phone and internet service. I received my usual bill, and was shocked about the amount. they billed me for 525.00. I called and asked why my bill was some high? they told me that it was for unreturned equipment. I asked what equipment? they said a modem. I told them that I still had the modem, because I still had the service. you only return the equipment when you cancel the service! I explain to them that I returned a computer that I purchased through them, because it was still not working, after a year. I was told to return and send back the old one, and I would get a replacement. that's what I did. after talking to countless customer reps. I was told that they had never gotten it back. I told them that I took it to ups my self about three weeks ago, and that they should have it. I asked to speak to a supervisor. I was told that the customer reps. handled all the billing and that they determine what the bill would be not the supervisor. I have never heard of this. I had to beg to speak to a supervisor, and after being told the same story again, I begged to speak to a manager. I finally spoke to the manager and I told him the problem. he put me on hold for at least 20 minutes the usual every time I call. finally he came back and said that he found the old computer. he told me that the charge would be taken off my bill. but every time I check my balance, it still says 525.00 amount due. I called back asked why it stills says that on the automated system, and was told that it takes a couple of days. it is now almost two weeks, and it still says the same thing. I had this problem before, and they told me to just pay the correct amount and not to worry. this is when they were ''quest' I did that and that turned off my service because of what the automated system said I owed. I told them I wanted a duplicate bill with the correct amount on it. they told me that I would see it on the next bill. I'm not paying until I get a correct bill. My complaint is that this is a shoddy company, that use the same dirty practices that they have always used. I don't care how many times they change their name it's business as usual. what is with the name change? are they on the run!!! I feel consumer's should keep the complaints coming. there should be a law against a company that changes their name so many times, and are still in business. maybe someone will put them out of everyone's "MISERY"

• Cl
          CLS65 May 05, 2017

I have been with Centurylink since 2008 and up to 2015 can't complain about my bill or the service. I then moved to Colorado and transferred my internet, then I signed up for Prizm and my nightmare began. My service for tv & internet was to be below $100 month with all taxes and fees and it was for a short time but in the past 9 months I have "chatted online" called the "retention team" and had nothing but promises to get my bill correct which has gone from around $100 per month to $167 per month. I have received every excuse under the sun from so sorry the credits we promised didn't stick to the representative cannot give that discount, we are very sorry...hummm. Well like an idiot my contract was up and I called to cancel, of course the retention specialist got on the phone and gave me every promise under the sun that my tv/internet would be 94+/- a month before TAXES...well the first bill came $165 and the rep said I will fix this, the second bill is $167, hummm great fix, plus the first bill was never fixed. Called again and they said they would fix but found they could only come within $5 of the price quoted (which seems fair many would say but I do not trust them any longer and just want out). This was renewed in April and I said since they could not stand behind their pricing that I just want out...now they are saying there will be an early termination fee. Really, I am so fed up with the lying and extortion of this company...shame, shame on CenturyLink

Century Link Home Internte Providerworst company ever

WOW what a horrible company. I never signed or agreed to a contract but when I tried to cancel my service after less than 60 days of bad service they charged me a $200 early cancellation fee. The problems conveniently started after the 30 day trial period. I had no issues with the Internet except for slowness in the first month. The first problem what with my initial bill. They charged me over $150 for an install that we opted to install ourselves but the guy who installed the outside line knocked on the door and handed my wife a splitter and said to plug this into the home line and then the modem into that. we did not need a splitter since we don't have a phone line. they charged us a install fee and a rental fee of $14.95 per month for the splitter. I could purchase one for less than $5 at any radio shack. after arguing with the CSR for over a half an hour they finally agreed to let me file a formal dispute. That has not been resolved as of yet. After the 30 days I had to reset my modem approx every 10 days or so to get Internet access. this past Monday my Internet was out completely that was the final straw. I called to cancel my service and that is when they informed me i have a "verbal" contract and they would be charging me $200. After speaking with several supervisors and over 2 hours of my time I was able to get a call back 2 days later from someone who claimed to be higher than a supervisor and they finally took off $180 of the $200 early term fee. DO NOT EVER USE THIS COMPANY FOR ANYTHING!!! If you are with them now cancel if you are thinking about using them DONT! you will regret it.

CenturyLinkJoey May 26, 2011

My name is Joey and I'm with CenturyLink. I'm sorry to read about the trouble you've had with your service. I'll be glad to look into the issue to see what happened. Just email me at [protected]@CenturyLink.com with your name, account information and reference your post here on Complaintsboard.com. Thanks.

Century Linkmissing refund check

Recently, after many years of paid service, i switched home phone companies. Century Link sent me what i thought was my last month's bill. Instead it was for the following month, the month where i would not be using their service. Sadly i paid this. 30 days later they send me a credit invoice. Not a refund, just a credit invoice. So i called and requested they send me my money back immediately. I was surprised to hear that CL gives themselves a nice, long cushy 90 DAYS to refund any overpayments. What??? I paid this bill believing it was money due. I was not late. I sent it on time. And yet 30 days later they tell me i have a credit and i have to wait up to another 90 days to get it back. How incredibly rude and insulting. Had i been late at any time I would have immediately been slapped with a late fee. Yet they are graciously allowing themselves, what adds up to 120 days, to refund me a lousy $43. REally no where in those huge coffers can they find $43 and refund me my money? For shame, what a horrible, despicable practice to keep my money, earn interest off if it and then at some later date, return it. Honestly what would happen if all of America decided to conduct business this way? There would be a total collapse. Much worse than anything we've seen in recent history.

• We
              WeesCapitalistsCorps Jun 01, 2011

Yeah, CenturyStink is a ### company I hope they go out of buisness with all the alternate / cheaper phone service options out there right now.
              They have no problem signing you up for there services, but when it comes to lower or discconecting your services they do everything in their power to delay you, or add extra charges to you.
              I'm looking to disconnect my service, and stop there marketing from contacting me. I'm pretty protective of my information, adn they want me to give my ss#, + all this other personal info over the phone. I went to C-L office to do this face to face, but nope they refuse to. Aren't they suppose to be a full service company. ### them for their run around game. I'm not giving SS# over the phone. I;ll contact the SCC (state corp. commission) and fill out a complaint form, or contact [protected]. That'll force them to have staff at every location to handle this issue, and/or force them to train their staff to handle these isssues. Ha ha

• Go
              go_osu_bux Jun 18, 2011

I am having the same problem over $12 they owe me since March. Centiry Link changes their story every time I call. 1 month, turned into 6-8 weeks and now it is 90 days!!! I wish consumers could turn businesses over to collection agencies for money owed!!!

• Mv
              mveparker Jan 24, 2013

Century link owes me $159.00. The company tells me they have sent the information for the check to be written, and that was 3 months ago. I call weekly, spend half an hour on the phone to tell the same story all over again. Their answer is always the same. I will be there in 7 to 10 days...but it has never come. Isn't there a Federal Communications that watches unscrupulous billings??

Centurylink Dsl — speed issues

I have been having intermittent speed issues on CenturyLink DSL for several months. They usually resolve...

Century Link — broadband availability

STILL using sorry dial-up service here that customer service techs tell me they can't help with because...

Century Linkcentury link is the worst cost my company business

Century Link is the worst company I have ever worked with! Poor customer service, Techs have no idea what they are doing (They even degrade each others work), WORST service ever, Outdated equipment (router included, which you pay rent on and its 6 years old) and last by not least Rude managers, last one told me "you know, you also can get cell phones for your business." after I told him they were the WORST MONOPOLY ever!!

I was out of phone service for 2 weeks and internet 2.5 weeks! After $10, 000 of advertising I had NO PHONE, NO FAX, NO INTERNET, NO PRINTING, NO CREDIT CARD MACHINE - NOTHING! What did Century Link do for me? There wasn't even a storm for their excuse... after paying $100 a month for service, countless hours waiting on technicians who never showed, weeks of lost work, advertising down the drain and lost customers... I GOT $18.

AWESOME... AGAIN... I SAY WORST COMPANY EVER! IF I COULD CHANGE I WOULD! NO OTHER COMPANY I CAN SERVICE MY AREA! THEY ARE AN MONOPOLY!

I called EVERY company that is humanly possible to service my area! If anyone knows of a way to get phones and internet LET ME KNOW PLEASE!

Global Crossing Local Services, Inc — Prank calls

This phone number has been calling my office at least once a day for more then a week now. When we answer...

CenturyLinkspeed issue

I have been a customer for over 5 years of CenturyLink, previously Embarq, previously Sprint DSL. I've been paying for 5mb service since I signed up. I did get the speeds I was paying for to begin with but in the past year the speed has steadily been declining. I'm now getting around 1.5mb to 2mb. I called to complain about the speeds and CenturyLink was so kind to offer their new 10mb service so I agreed and had them do the switch. Then did have to change something at the CO and I was down for a day or so before it was completed. Now I have 10mb service, but continue to see 1.5mb up to 3mb at off peak times. I called today and was basically told that they know of the issue and are planning to fix it. I asked when, they said no idea. Could be 1 month, could be 2 years was what I was told. This is the third time I've called in since the "upgrade" to 10mb speeds. The previous 2 times I was told that I had an issue in the area and it would be fixed in a day or two. I'm tired of getting lied to and tired of them charging for service they can't deliver. I've even tried testing the service at 4am to see if it was a peak/off peak issue with no better speeds.

Thanks for listening.
              Randy

CenturyLinkJoey Apr 21, 2011

RandalW,

My name is Joey and I'm with CenturyLink. I'm sorry to read about the trouble you're having with your service. I'll be glad to help look into the issue for you. Just email me at [protected]@CenturyLink.com with your name, account information and reference your post here on Complaintsboard.com. Thanks.

• Da
                  Davis Martin Jul 23, 2011

I too am in the Montpelier area, and have experienced the same painful performance slow downs, since Nov 2010. The local techs told me in January 2011 that our area been oversubscribed... both from expansion and through ever-faster speed offerings (increased revenue) without improving the necessary infrastructure. Since then, I've lodged several complaints with their Customer Service folks, providing piles of speeds-and-feeds data. They simply shrug their shoulders, open a ticket, which then gets closed without feedback. I had better service at 1.5Mb... my 5.0Mb service is useless during prime time hours -- no streaming, no gaming, dropped packets, and incredibly bad latency. This is a prime example of what happens to areas that lack competitive alternatives.

• Ir
                  ironhill Oct 16, 2011

Finally DSL made it's way to our area of Montpelier. Of course, this was right after we had renewed our broadband card with Verizon. Luckily we kept it, as there are times the DSL is so slow, that we receive better service from the broadband card. I still can't stream a YouTube video, much less NetFlix, and other times it drops off altogether. Forget the new iPhone/iPad upgrade to 5.o. It says it will take 10 hours and has kicked me off twice after 3 hours.

I called and they assured me that I have the highest possible speed offered. (I think it's 6mb??) Anyway, after 9 years in our home we were excited that the promise of some sort of internet connection was coming through, however it's been very disappointing.

• Ir
                  ironhill Oct 16, 2011

FYI - I just ran a speed test with www.testmyisp.com and here are the results:
                  Download speed measured as 0.08 Mb/s
                  Upload speed measured as 643 Kb/s

Retested with www.dslreports.com and got:
                  107 Kb/s download and 653 Kb/s upload

The CNET test said 217 Kb/s, which is 1/2 that of satellite. CenturyLink will definitely be getting a call tomorrow. What's the point?

Century Linkdouble charge

We received a call 2 weeks ago from Century link Customer Service Rep, he said after reviewing our acct, he could reduce our monthy charge for our home and internet service. All services would remain the same. Our service was around $109 a month, he cut cut the cost down to $69. We got the bill yesterday, $148, I've been on the phone this am, for 30 minutes with a CSR at Century link, for her to tell me, they had to charge for a partial month for my old service a full charge for my new service, and there were FEE's for the change, she told me to keep in mind NEXT month it would go back down to $69. Guess I paid the CSR's commission on the sale of this new service!

CenturyLinkbeyond belief bad service (avoid like thr plague)

They don’t listen, they cut you off, and frankly they don’t care.
                  11 April 2011 I called century link requesting that my service be transferred to them from Comcast. As I heard the person in the background fast a furiously typing (I guess on facebook since my order wasent processed)He was told that service would be transferred within 10 days. He said the order had been placed and depending on how fast my current company responded they would get me switched over. Two days later I called back to verify they had my request and things were in the works. Century Link confirmed and Comcast said they didn’t have anything yet. On the 19th I called again Comcast still had nothing. When I attempted to call century link; no one wanted to talk to me. I got transferred from department to department for 3 hours. I consider myself a pretty easygoing patient kind of guy; but this is ridiculous. Most century link people could not even find my account. Those that could would transfer me to someone who couldn’t. The worst was being put on hold for 35 minutes twice. After the second time I tried calling back and they were closed. The staff was argumentative, apathetic, and overall unprofessional. If you value your time and what’s in your wallet don’t even bother calling them. I wish the folks from Qwest could come out here and teach these folks the value of the customer. I guess they are still somewhat monopolized out here so they don’t have to worry about customer service. I am not going into all the details (they seem more like side issues of the overwhelming major concern which is “If you can avoid it stay away from Century Link!!!
                  Chow

CenturyLinkJoey Apr 25, 2011

The ignored 1,

My name is Joey and I'm with CenturyLink. I'm sorry to read about the trouble you've had with our service. I'll be glad to help if you email me at [protected]@CenturyLink.com with your name, account information and reference your post here on Complaintsboard.com. Thanks.

Centurylink / Embarq Internet And Home Phone Servicepoor customer service

Centurylink offered to upgrade my internet speed to 10 gb from 1.5 for ten dollars per month more in January. Since then, I have spent somewhere near 25 hours on the phone with them pluggin in and unplugging my modem and running various tests to determine why the speed is acceptable in the morning but then decreases as the day progresses down to under 1 gb (sometimes even lower). I have frequent outages and I must reboot my modem to revive service during all times of day. They have sent three technicians to my home (one of whom seemed more interested in my wife than my connection issues and did not even run a test until I pressed him to.) They have had tickets open and told me numerous times they would call me when resolved, but the only calls I receive from them are when they call to try to get me to sign up for their new TV service, PRISM. I must continuously call them to verify the status of my ongoing tickets, but to no avail. Every representative has a different and conflicting explanation for my issues, and nobody has been able to resolve. The last technician who came to the house told me that he had heard from another technician that the wires in my area simply cannot support the speed they boast about. My neighbor also does not receive the speed he has paid for. I was a customer service rep myself, once, so I do not treat them poorly, but am always very civil despite my frustrations, but sometimes I do not even hear an apology from them. Yesterday, two sales representatives came to my door. One of them helped himself to a seat on my outdoor furniture and was swearing profusely: very discourteous. In fact, when my wife and I refused the additional service, they were extremely pushy, one of them even saying, "it's a no-brainer!" (indicating that we were idiots). We felt very threatened by them. Yesterday we also received a bill from them for 112.75, out of the blue. (We were paying 75 dollars a month, and then it would have been 10 more for the supposed additional speed we have not been receiving.) Today, a representative called to offer the TV service again, and I explained that I had received this strange bill. He was baffled. When I requested that he instead downgrade my internet service to 3 gb, I have been on hold now for 45 minutes and 07 seconds while he performs this task due to computer issues. He is friendly, but unfortunately their systems are horrible. I feel sorry for their reps, who clearly do not have adequate training. I cannot believe the incompetence of this company. I suspect some of it has to do with the recent merger of Embarq and Centurytel, but who knows. If I had any choice in the matter, I would not use any of their services, but unfortunately they have a monopoly in the phone and internet service business here and I work at home and require the service. I wish I had the number to the CEO so that I could make him aware that the company is in shambles. (Oh, and ps. My phone conversation with this most recent sales person is over and his system was so messed up that he could not put back my included national long distance so he had to send it to another department. So naturally I won't be making any long distance calls until I have confirmation that it is back in lest I receive an even larger surprise bill...)

CenturyLinkJoey Apr 15, 2011

B. Chase,

My name is Joey and I'm with CenturyLink. I'm sorry that you've had trouble with our services and would be glad to see what I can do to help. Just email me at [protected]@CenturyLink.com with your name, account information and reference your post here on Complaintsboard.com. Thanks.

Centurylink Dslpoor service

I have had DSL at my address for the past 3 years. I started out with CenturyTel. CenturTel was bought out by CenturyLink (CL). Since the acquisition, I have had nothing but problems. We have had somewhere in the neighborhood of a dozen calls in to tech support over the past two years. It's getting completely and totally out of hand and ridiculous. The speeds with CenturyTel were consistently 1.5 Mb. The one instance when I did have an issue, CenturyTel sent someone out right away to examine things and work their magic. Service was great afterward.

Enter CL. Service started out ok at best. There seemed to be a lot of fluctuation in DL speeds. The situation worsened to the point where a simple web page like Gmail was taking 5-10 minutes to open. I checked everything over on my end, ran a couple of speed tests, and reluctantly called tech support. My fear was that since I own my modem, I was going to be fed the line "It's not our equipment, so you're on your own." I was not given that line. I was directed to complete a couple of speedtests and modem checks, then put on hold. The result was that a tech would be out to check things out.

Now, we're getting to the part that I absolutely love. I am given a window of time when the tech will arrive. I take off of work to be there. I am told that the tech will call prior to showing up. Three full hours after the eight hour window had come and gone, and as we leaving the house to go have dinner, guess who pulls into the driveway? Mr. CL tech, sans courtesy phone call. We reservedly cancel our dinner plans.

The tech replicates the issues that I was experiencing earlier. He says he needs to call in to the corporate office for further corrective actions. Then, he leaves. I assume that things are being handled. For the next week, the service is ok. Not quite what I was sold (1.5 Mb), but ok (1.2 Mb). Everything is downhill from here...

I assume that CL sold a couple of my neighbors on the service as the quality and consistency has been steadily declining for two years. My most recent call into tech support resulted in CL sending out a tech. The tech stood in my house, and showed me that he was getting the same results. He traveled to the end of the road where the "device", as he referred to it, was located and performed further testing. The tech returned and, again standing in my house, told me that the results he got at the end of the road were the same as at the house and unacceptable. He then proceeded to tell me that he would have to put in a call to have the "device" at the end of the road repaired. After all this, he left.

A week goes by and nothing seems to have changed with the slow speeds (200-400 kb). So, I called CL to check on the status of the ticket. The person on the other end of the phone says, and I'm quoting him directly here, "Everything looks good on our end, so we went ahead and closed the ticket." He said this as though eh was doing me some sort of personal favor.

What?!? Do you think that I called because I enjoy donating my time to your teleprompt system? I ask about the ticket. He says that the tech who was at my house had in his notes that everything looked fine. After two years of being jerked around over this, being upsold to service that apparently is unavailable here, and now being flat out lied to in my own house, I went nuclear on this poor kid. "Are you kidding me? You or your technician are lying to me. Perhaps both. Completely and totally unacceptable."

I was told that CL would send someone out right away to take care of the issue. It's been two months. I think that at this point, simply as a matter of personal satisfaction, litigation will ensue. Someone there needs to be held responsible, as I get the impression that corporate protocol is to pass the responsibility like some sort of hot potato.

If someone from CL is reading this, please do feel free to explain yourself. I simply do not understand how a company gets to be that large and still operate in an envelope of complete and utter incompetence in one of their areas of core competence. It simply makes no sense.

Oh, and if you're so inclined, could you please tell me when lying to a customer is the best policy? I must have glazed over that subject in college.

CenturyLinkJoey Apr 13, 2011

Not_acceptable,

My name is Joey and I'm with CenturyLink. I'm sorry to read about the trouble you've had with our service. If you email me at [protected]@CenturyLink.com with your name, account information and reference your post here on Complaintsboard.com, I'll be glad to look into your concerns. Thanks.

• Pa
                          Pas Bon Cas Jun 28, 2011

We just signed up for Centurylink (CL) internet services in Wisconsin (where CL has a monopoly in our area). They sold us 10 Mbps service. When we arrived at our new home, we had no service, contacted CL, and were told CL had an outage in our area - and that they needed 36 to 48 hours to fix it. So, 60 hours later, we had service... at about 10% the bandwidth we paid for. So... we reported the problem, got a trouble ticket, and 24 hours later had no improvement in service.

This morning, I ran all the necessary speed and ping tests, documented poor performance, and called CL. Rather than fix our problem, they simply downgraded our account without telling us to 1.5 Mbps service. Unfortunately, that's not fast enough for what we need to do. They refuse to provide greater bandwidth unless our whole neighborhood files a petition for higher speed service, and agrees to buy the higher speed service.

I asked CL to suggest another provider who could deliver what we need, and the reps refused to do so.

CL has a monopoly here. They don't have to deliver good service; they own the market. Take what CL will give you or you get nothing. CL will sell you what they know they can't deliver, and will charge you for the premium service until you catch them cheating you.

Bottom line, CL sold us a product they knew they couldn't deliver. When we caught CL unable to deliver what we paid for, CL simply downgraded our service order without our knowledge.

I assume there is no criminality in this "kinda fraudulent" situation because CL does not guarantee performance, only connection to bandwidth. And, they have a way of talking their way out of liability.

Very disappointing at best.

If anyone knows of an alternative to Centurylink Internet services in Oconto County, Wisconsin, please let us all know!

Thanks.

Century Link — over charges/fraud

On March 16th (2011)I called CenturyLink to find out how we could lower my monthly bill. I spoke with Sierra...

CenturyLinkunbelievable bad service.

This is a copy of a letter I'm sending to CenturyLink. Sorry about the length, but given what I went through, it's necessary.

After the experience I just went through in trying to get my CenturyLink service modified, I feel it’s necessary to relay the details to anyone who will listen. The level of service I received (mostly over the phone) is completely unacceptable, and something needs to be done in order to make sure other customers don’t suffer the same problems. Someone who can actually do something about it needs to hear an account of the kind of customer service that the majority of your employees seem to think is acceptable, and then they need to examine what’s going on at the phone-helpdesk and the local level and make some serious changes.

In November of 2010, I ordered the Prism IPTV service. Let me state for the record that I was thrilled at the prospect dumping Comcast completely – this is something I really wanted to do. I’ll spare most of the technical details, other than to say that the service is not ready for primetime. The DVR is garbage, plain and simple. It doesn’t work correctly, which is no surprise – why in the world you’d go with a Microsoft solution is extremely puzzling. I spent hours troubleshooting…emails, phone calls, tech visits, equipment switch-outs…it was verified that everything is good at the house signal-wise, so, it’s not us. For the record, my DSL had always operated flawlessly.

Cut to March 2011, we’ve decided enough is enough and just want to get rid of the Prism service, as it is simply unusable. The following is a day-to-day account of what I’ve spent that last two weeks dealing with:

• Saturday, March 19th: I called CenturyLink customer service to explain to them what I’m looking to do. I need to have a tech come out to the house to disconnect my Prism service, but to hook up the old DSL modem so I can keep the DSL service. Getting the Prism service installed required the technician to come onto the premises to rewire some jacks (the NIB is inside of the house), and I assumed that removing the Prism service would require a tech to come back and undo what they did in the first place. I spent about an hour on the phone. I was tossed around from Prism support to regular support and back several times, because no one could decide whether this was a Prism issue or a DSL issue. I finally got someone who scheduled an appointment, or so I thought. She told me someone local would be calling me the following Monday, March 21, to confirm exactly when the work would be done.

• Monday, March 21st: I never received the follow-up phone call I was promised.

• Tuesday, March 22nd: I call CenturyLink. I’m told an appointment had been scheduled for this coming Thursday. I never approved this and I never confirmed this. I told them it needed to be on Friday, since Prism support doesn’t do weekends. They rescheduled it and again, I’m told someone local will call me to confirm.

• Thursday, March 24th: I call again to confirm for Friday, because again, no phone call from the CenturyLink local office. I’m told someone will be out between 8am and 12pm to rewire things and pick up the old equipment.

• Friday, March 25th:
                        o It’s 11am, and no one has showed up, so I start to get worried. I call, and find out the appointment has been pushed back to 12-5. I was never told this. I reluctantly told them this was ok, and continued to wait.
                        o It’s now 4:30pm. I call, and I’m told, “we were already out there.” I had been sitting in my office all day – no one’s been out here, at least no one has knocked on my door. Next, I spent 90 minutes on the phone with them, half of it spent explaining to them that not only did someone need to do work to the outside of the house, but that I believed someone also needed to come into the house to rewire the jacks before the old DSL modem will work because that’s where the NIB is. Had they looked at the account of the original work done, they would have seen this. I had already tried to get the old 660 modem working, and it simply was not working. At this point, they can’t get anyone out here the same day. I’m told my case is being escalated, and that someone will be calling me on Monday the 28th to sort it out and get someone out here. I took a day off from work, spent the entire day waiting after being told repeatedly over the week that someone would be here, only for no one to show up, and then have to deal with a bunch of support people who honestly didn’t seem to care at all about the situation.

• Monday, March 28th:
                        o Late morning, no one has called me yet. I call customer service, and I’m told the case has been sent to a local supervisor, someone by the name of Avery (sp), who will be calling me. I never received a phone call from him/her. The best part is, I was told that they have no way of calling this person and/or put me in touch with him/her, because they don’t have a direct line to him/her or anyone local for that matter. The fact that employees at a telecommunications giant have no way of contacting their own co-workers by phone is the ultimate of ironies, and it’s beyond me how you all operate this way. All the person I talked to could do was email this person and wait for a response.

I should point out, throughout this entire ordeal, I asked repeatedly, “please, can I please talk to someone local. Can I talk to a tech, an engineer, someone who will understand me so I can tell them what was already done and what I need to have done, so perhaps the right people can come out here.” From what I was told, they can’t do that.
                        o Late afternoon, no one has called me (see a pattern here?). I call back, and finally someone is able to get “Avery” on IM, and I’m told a Saturday morning (April 2) appointment has been approved, since I can’t afford to take another day off of work to sit around here and wait for a tech. The person I spoke to on the phone gave me her extension/operator ID (not sure which it is), 62774, in case I should need to call her on Saturday. I was told, “simply ask for this extension and they’ll get you to me.” I’m also told that despite what I was told originally, now I need to drive over to CenturyLink to drop off the Prism equipment, because the techs can’t take it with them, which makes no kind of sense considering they brought it here to begin with.

• Tuesday, March 29th: A local supervisor, Dan Rodriguez actually does call me. I relay what’s happened to him. He said he will make sure someone comes out on Saturday morning, as scheduled, and will monitor the case.

• Saturday, April 2nd:
                        o It’s 10:30, and no one has showed up yet. Again, getting nervous. I call the number the operator from Monday gave me. I call several times, but keep getting an automated message that the office is closed, despite that your web site shows your Saturday hours as starting at 9AM local time. I tried calling Dan the area supervisor, but he’s unreachable. Finally, an hour later, I get through to customer service. I get transferred to several different operators, none of which can connect me to #62774. They say it’s not possible, and they can’t tell from the case notes who it was I talked to on Monday the 28th. Since talking to her obviously wasn’t going to happen, I talk to another rep. She says, “I see you have an appointment scheduled today, slated for between 12pm-4pm.” They changed my appointment without telling me. Again. I was able to get the operator to call dispatch and arrange for someone to come over before noon, as promised.
                        o It’s now 3:00. The technician just left, and things still aren’t working 100% (he has something to do back at the office to get things fully functional). He was here for over three hours, due to no fault of his own. Before I go on, I have to commend the tech, Ed, who was incredibly helpful and seemed to be the only person at CenturyLink I dealt with through this whole ordeal who actually got it. I doubt things would have gotten fixed today if it had not been for him. He’s the only CenturyLink employee who dealt directly with this case who was of any real help. He understands that the customer comes first, and that the people we spent several hours on the phone with should have just did what they needed to do to fix the issue at hand.
                        It turned out that despite everything I had been told, the prerequisite work that should have been done originally had not been done. The Prism service had not been removed from my account (had been told at least two times that it had been). I was still getting billed for bits and pieces of it, and as far as the wiring, they showed me as still being wired up for it. To make matters worse, the change order that had been put in specified that I wanted to ultimately end up with 3.0 megabit Internet, when I had specified, over and over and over, that I wanted to keep the 10.0 megabit Internet that I had had even prior to adding the Prism service. Getting them to keep it at the correct price was also an ordeal. It didn’t matter how many people I had previously spoken to, how many hours I had spent on the phone for the prior two weeks, how many “confirmations” I received…even after all that, they still managed to get the order completely wrong.

So, after the provisioning people finally got the modem functional at 3.0 megabits, Ed had to spend another hour-and-a-half-plus trying to get them to convert it to 10.0 megabit, which again, I never wanted to downgrade in the first place. They could have simply just done it, but it turned into a mess of red tape and orders, closing out this order, opening that order; meanwhile the customer is sitting here (and the tech for that matter) for three hours just wanting to get the service working correctly. While on the topic of getting the modem provisioned, I feel the need to call out one employee in particular named Ellen, whose information you can probably find on case notes from today (she worked in the department that does provisioning I believe). She was downright nasty to those of us on the phone call, despite being told about the situation and being aware that not only had a tech been here for three hours trying to fix the issue, but that the customer was also on the line listening to all this. This person should be fired on the spot as far as I’m concerned – all she did was make a bad situation even worse.

CenturyLink’s performance during this entire ordeal was appalling, and it is something you should be completely ashamed of. You don’t keep appointments, your employees throughout various departments don’t/won’t/can’t communicate with each other, your customer service helpdesk people are completely incompetent – one hand never knows what the other is doing at any given time, and in some cases, they’re downright rude. The level of communication between the people who work the phones and the people who are local needs to be vastly improved. There is something really wrong with the fact that it’s that difficult for a helpdesk person to get a local engineer on the phone to assist with a problem. This whole thing could have been dealt with really quickly, and without a premise visit, had the correct people been involved in the first place.
                        Up until today, I had always talked very highly about CenturyLink, even defending you when people at my office would say negative things (for the record, I work in IT). To me, you were always what I thought Comcast should strive to be like, and in one fell swoop, you completely changed my mind.

Feel free to pass this letter on to whomever you see fit – hopefully it gets into the hands of someone who can assess the situation and possibly take some corrective actions.

• Do
                            don't remember dammit Nov 01, 2011

I just filed with the Washington State Attorney General about CenturyLink!!! they've done the same to me...change appointments, no one shows up, box work never being done, lame excuses (apparently, my phone line is 'too long' to my computer, so the reason it's not faster is, basically, by the time it gets to my computer, the line has run out of internetz), and charges WAY over what was agreed upon!!!

• Tc
                            TCordova Nov 30, 2011

I am having issue also. I recently switched from Century Link to Comcast. I called to disconnect my phone, internet and cable services. This started Oct. 27, 2011 and to this day no one can tell me the date it was actually disconnected. I did a third party authorization to keep my home phone #. I am getting billed through Century Link, Comcast and now Direct TV. It has been very irritating and I feel that my rights as a consumer have been taken away to even diconnect my own services. The day I said disconnect my services they should have all been disconnected. I have spen many waisted hours calling and getting transferred left requested for supervisors to call me with no response. Good luck and I am sure there are other people getting taken advantage of. [protected]@yahoo.com

CenturyLinkbilling issue resolved

A couple of months ago I was about to dump Centurylink over billing issues. I'd given up trying to get the issue resolved. Joey (Centurylink) responded to my complaint here and I contacted him directly with the details. Within a week he managed to resolve the issue, which as it turned out was caused by my fatfingering in the account number when I set up payment through my online bill pay service. That wrong number (off by one digit) had been in place for at least a year with no problems. My guess is that it finally caused a problem after Centurylink change their billing system. I thank Joey for taking the time to track down the problem and let me know how to fix it. No one else had bothered to do that, but just repeatedly sent the account issue to be manually reconciled month after month without contacting me the root of the problem. I thank Joey for working with me and tracking this down, but it occurs to me that Centurylink has some work to do on their account management processes. I'll take the hit for inputting the wrong information initially, but there was no feedback process in place to let me know about it even when dealing with customer service monthly by phone.

CenturyLink — poor customer service and incorrect bills

I do not pay for long distance service from Centurylink. I only have local calls only. Last fall a long...

CenturyLink — not getting the speed I pay for

increased my internet speed to 1.50mbps yet when I go to the global broardband speed test I am always getting...

Ocean Park