Canadian Tirebad repair

I stopped in Salmon Arm because my SUV stopped running. The closest thing was Canadian Tire. The checked the vehicle and told me it was the fuel pump. $570 later I drove out of there. Within a block I noticed that my fuel gauge was not working. Went back. They had to take the whole gas-tank apart again as the gauge and the pump is inside the tank.
2 hours later I was off again and wasted the whole day in there. Drove home to Vancouver. When I got to North Vancouver the car would not run again. I took it to Ford this time literally 48 hours after the Canadian tire repair. VOILA, it was a $9 relay that would quit working when hot. So there you go, a perfectly good 10 year old fuel pump replaced for no good reason. The problem was solved and the SUV ran for a year and half. Salmon Arm is 500 kms away so I was not going to go and complain. Because they are all “independently owned” (fancy name for franchise), the local store here would not do anything about it.
Well I thought, at least I have a new fuel pump and the old one would probably not have lasted more than a couple of years.
Well guess what, the Canadian Tire pump 18 months old quit working. I had the vehicle towed to the dealer and now it is another $600 to replace a part that did not need replacing in the first place and that it did not last 2 years.
Called to complain, it is out of warranty, it is out of area, they are independently owned so there is no Regional Manager, there is no0 way to complain there is nothing. This has been the most frustrating thing of my car life.
If I had known this, I would have gone to any dealer in the first place. WHY DID I DO THIS????? I had my BMW repaired at Canadian Tire a few years ago and they screwed up the repair completely. Why did I expect my SUV to have a different fate?
I am an idiot for having gone there again. But I WILL NEVER SET FOOT IN ANY OF THEIR STORES AGAIN, NOR WILL ANYONE I CAN CONVINCE NOT TO.

• Ap
    AP12345 Jul 25, 2014

I got a second opinion after my car failed to start, after bringing it to Canadian Tire for drivable inspection. I am disappointed to find out that the parts they told me to replace DO NOT need replacement yet. Fortunately, I declined for Canadian Tire to go ahead with the repair otherwise it would be $$$ loss for me and a gain for them, for a part that do not need changing. Very disappointing. How can they cheat on the job and come home smiling? I believe in the saying: "what comes around goes around."

christopher d. hodder Apr 14, 2009

I did a pre-purchase inspection through Canadian Tire. To their suprise I had driven the car I was about to purchase for 2 months problem free.

I drove out of there with my winshield wiper plastic dialed greased as if plastic parts in the interior of a car ever need lubrication. Not only this, my front winshield defroster didn't work at all. My reverse lights didn't work either. Go figure, I took the car to another Canadian Tire store who told me "you need to take your car right back to the people who last touched your car" interestingly enough it was an "independantly owned Canadian Tire so the wouldn't bill back the charges nor tell me what I needed to hear in order to remedy the problem.

I use to donate money to their "Jump Start" program and now it's a lost cause becuase their auto service is crooked...