BMW X3 2007loud annoying noise from drive train.

The 2007 BMW X3 recently purchased from Fort Lauderdale BMW creates a very annoying loud ringing noise at speeds between thirty five (35) and forty two (42) mph. The noise is so loud that it is still dominant even with the radio playing music at a relatively loud level. The dealer has
been made aware of this noise and has made mechanical "repairs" that were to replace a defective bearing in the transfer case. The noose continues in
spite of this repair. I was told by the dealer that the noise is "characteristic of this BMW vehicle. I would like this statement verified by an authorized
BMW representative in writing. I find it very difficult to believe that BMW would manufacture and offer for sale to the public, any vehicle that makes the noise made by the vehicle I just purchased. Furthermore, I question the "repair" of a problem that has been stated to be "characteristic". Indeed why would any such problem be considered a defect, and required any repair.

J. P. Cassada

• Br
    Brainfood Oct 27, 2012

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! I have had the same noise in the back end after I go over a small bump. Noise became progressively worse and more frequent over the course of the last 6 months. After reading these posts I finally took it in- my "kid" mechanic suggested new tires! It worked!!! I don't know why but since I've had the new tires I have NOT had any noise and it is shifting like a dream. It's like a brand new car!!

• Mi
    milou500 Jul 09, 2011

I am new member of this forum and I drive a BMW X3 2007 too. I have replaced under warranty 3 (!) rear differentials for a high-pitch noise around 40-60 km/hr especially when decelerating . Noise went out completely each time diff was replaced but eventually came back within 1000 km. of driving. As you can see, the BMW dealer did not find anthing better than to change the differential. Has anyone on this thread new development to report on this issue?

• Bm
    BMWfan Jul 06, 2011

I have a 2007 X3 that also has noise from the drivetrain. The dealer also changed the transfer case. Each time I complain about the noise, they claim that they can't reproduce a noise from the drivetrain. It particularily happens when you go over unevan surfaces.

• Gg
    ggWilliamsburg Sep 30, 2010

Working with the same issue. Why would you design a car to have this sound? Further why don't all 2007 X3's have this sound. I am working throught this issue with my dealer, the factory is being very uncooperative.

• He
    helpmepleasenow Sep 17, 2010

I have the same problem with our 07 X3. Was also told this was normal for the car. Its ridiculous. I suspect the transfer case is the problem. At least you have a dealer that is willing to try and fix it. Mine doesn't want to know. I've heard all sorts of reasons from tires to diff and wheel bearings. This really should be taken up the chain. Very unimpressed with BMW at this point. Its a shame because i've owned several and had nothing but good times with them until now...

• Vs
    Vshtym Sep 12, 2010

Just purchased 07 x3 3 weeks ago and had really bad whining when accelerating and decelerating between 30-40moh, dealer replaced Final Drive and noise while accelerating is gone completely but coasting part is still there, slightly quieter but there.

• Mg
    mgla Aug 19, 2010

I have driven an 2007 X3 since it was new. This car is a train wreck. Yes, that noise is supposedly 'normal.' But eventually it will get worse until the whole transmission operates erratically in gears 3-5. Neither shifting or downshifting properly. I spent thousands trying to fix this since it really became really apparent there was a much more serious problem only when it fell out of warranty (I live in LA and drive about 17000 miles a year so this was about a year ago...) Anyway BMW nor outside BMW mechanics could figure it out until about a month ago when BMW determined there was a problem with the software that was basically causing the transmission to shift too much and erratically. The best part: Now that it's 'fixed' its been discovered that the transmission has 'prematurely aged' due to the software problem. A mechanic told me I basically have a transmission that looks like it has 250, 000 miles on it. BMW's reponse: Sorry. Its out of warranty. BMW sucks. Kick yourself for buying this car. I sure am...

• Cr
    crodude Jul 28, 2010

I have the exact same noise from my 2007 x3si at the same speeds.
    My dealer changed numerous parts and still can't fix the problem.
    They first changed the left rear wheel bearing. Then they changed to entire differential. Next they replaced the left drive axle. Then the right. Lastly, they changed the support bearing for the drive shaft.
    The noise is still there but I have almost an entirely brand new rear end.
    Now after BMW Canada engineers can't figure it out, they are involving BMW Germany.
    I have to wait 4-6 weeks for any answer from Germany.
    Good Luck to you!