Posted:

bait & switch

best buy
here is email i just sent to best buy:<br />
<br />
i went to your store in enfield, CT today to look at 2 big screen tv's advertised on the front page of your weekly circular. after searching exhaustively, i could find neither on display. a store employee who was talking to another customer was there, and i waited until a lull in their conversation to excuse myself and ask if they were on display. he said he'd have to look it up, then ignored me. i left to search again, saying, "when you get a chance, please look it up". i waited another 10 minutes, again not finding the advertised items. there were other sales people in the store, but none in that department, and no one approached me to ask if i needed assistance, even though i think i made it obvious as i wandereed down the aisle, comparing the items to your circular. mind you it was dinner time, about 7PM, and there were few customers in the store.<br />
<br />
now i dont begrudge your employee from finishing his first sale (if indeed that was what he was doing, as they seemed to be having a lot more laughs than i usuaully have with salespeople). but the lack of assistance led me to just leave the store. back when circuit city was in business, whenever i went in there i was helped immediately. thats why i bought fridges, ovens, microwaves, stereos, airconditioners, and other things from them. in other words, you customer service sucks. well there is nothing i can do about that, except keep out of your stores in the future -- and ps -- when i boycott a brick and mortar establishment, their internet version gets the same treatment. <br />
<br />
further, i find it astonishing that you would go to the expense to advertise products on the front page of a national circular, and then not even have them avalable for inspection during the time they are on sale. except, of course, unless you are doing the old bait and switch: advertise a good deal just to get people in, then not have the item available. and that is something i can do something about, as i believe it is illegal under consumer protection laws of both CT and MA. I will contacting the consumer protection agencies of both states forthwith. -- joe
Complaint comments Comments (237) Complaint country United States Complaint category TV, Music & Video

Comments

N     0 Votes

Best Buy - the worst buy!

About 18 months ago I bought a 50" Samsung DLP, HDTV at Best Buy - it was not cheap! Last month the "lamp" burnt out so I returned to the store.

BB - We don't sell the part.
me - Where can I get one?
BB - I don't know. Try the internet. Did you buy an extended warranty?
me - No
BB - Then we can't offer you any service (even if you pay for it).
me - What if I had bought an extended warranty? What happens after the term is up?
BB - I don't know.

Eventually I found a site for Samsung parts where I could buy the part. But it died 2 days after installation. I was able to find a service company by going to a competitor of Best Buy - not FutureShop. The competitor referred me to their service company. More recently, Best Buy tried to sell me a D-Link Media Center 320 to enable me to display photos on my TV. The trouble is, the unit they were trying to sell me doesn't work - at all - on HD TVs. Deal with these guys at your peril!

UPDATE: The lamp was replaced but died in 2 days. The lamp and the ballast were then replaced. (>$600 in parts and service.) The TV was again dead after about 2 weeks!

UPDATE 2: Because of this complaint, Best Buy sent me a form to fill out to get service. (Does the date of purchase really matter when you have no contract and expect to pay for service anyway?) The 3rd party service guy came and found that the lamp still worked. A plastic cover at the back is supposed to push a toggle back to indicate that the cover is on. I fixed that by padding it with about 10 layers of masking tape.
A     0 Votes
I bought a TV from Best Buy, and I find out later it was the worst buy ever I done on my life (over charged by $800). "best buy" store is an overcharging store and I will never buy from them again.
N     0 Votes
That sounds unusual that they wouldn't know where to find a bulb. Best Buy has a part order system by phone (employees can call) that has access to sell you almost any rear projection lamp you'd ever need (among other parts). If you talked to customer service about the issue then this was your mistake. If it was their home theater staff that didn't know then that's just unusual.

Being a Best Buy home theater associate for a location in the north west, all I can say is that's not how it usually is, at least at my location our department actually knows what we're all doing. Although to be fair to our company, you didn't buy a service plan on a tv with an obviously needed replacement part, what did you expect from them after 18 months. That's the whole reason why they're offered.

Best Buy - Еhe worst buy experience

Best Buy turned out to be the Worst Buy experience for me. September 2017, while I was looking around the computer products, a sale person of best buy approached me and told me about the 6 month interest free promotion. I thought it was an "insured deal" that I don't have to pay interest while I can try the computer and ensure it is what I was looking for. When I went to the counter for payment processing, I was told that I don't have to pay anything for 6 months and all I need to do is to sign for the best buy credit card. Before I signed the contract, to my pleasant surprise, I asked the best buy person who was processing the paperwork that "I really don't have to pay nothing for 6 months until end of Feb. 07?" He smiled and said: need to pay nothing for 6 months...

Close to a month after I purchased the computer I started to get bill from best buy and at the same time, I found my computer started to have problem with the system start up. I did not open the bill thinking it's far away from 6 months and I took the computer to the Salt Lake Store where I bought originally and the Geek Squad people could not fix it. I asked for a replacement. However, the store manager Matt Tanner (something like that) said he can not give another computer because they no longer carry the same model or refund me for the purchase but instead he offered me a lower grade model with an external hard drive and said that will do it (unbelievable!!!). In addition, when I brought up the bills, without confirm with the personal that sold me the computer and informed me the 6 month interest free promotion, the manager told me that his employee would never say such thing (pay nothing for 6 months). Of course, at that point, I decided to take the "Lemon" home and call their corporate office to make a formal complaining.

To make things worse, when I called the Corporate office, the consumer relation people did not offer any solution to my problems of the "lemon" which I demanded refund (or a replacement for the same model) nor for the 6 months promotional issue that I had, instead they asked me to try another their best buy location. After few months disputing the charges and unsolved issue, knowing that corporate office is not helpful in solving my problems, I have decided no to deal with best buy any longer, I went another location of best buy stores and exchanged another computer of their display model. And made the total $1974.73 in full according to the bill...

The disastrous experience is finally over, you may think, right? Wrong! Wrong! Wrong. Best Buy is continuing send me bills month after month for what I don't know what since I already paid in full in Jan. 2017 (the promotional event ends Feb. 28, 2017). I am so sick of it and decide to ignore anything label Best Buy. For those who are in the same situation. Also tell your friends, family and your neighbors about your Worst Buy experience with Best Buy and just ignore Best Buy if you did not get what you paid for and wait until the statute expires. Don't give them your phone numbers or change your current phone number if you have to. I can not wait to see Best Buy disappear from the retail industry as they are offer nothing but the worst service and products to honest customers.
N     0 Votes

Best Buy - stay away from this promotional offer!

Beware of the catches in the 3 year no interest offer from best buy. Read the fine print to be educated before you sign on the bottom line. This reflects a poor customer relations effort to promote sales and the terms of the offer are designed to get you stuck with paying the exorbitantly high interest rate (Up to 30%) if you make one mistake during the loan period.

Here are the catches to keep in mind:

"interest will be charged to your account * from the date of purchase * if plan balance is not paid in full within 3 years or * if minimum monthly payments are not made *." this means, miss a minimum payment and owe them the full interest or if there is even $1 balance after 3 years you owe them full interest from the date of purchase.

Best buy interest rate info :

Program a:

Variable standard apr = prime rate + 14.4 percentage pts. (22.65% as of 09/01/2017). Variable default apr = prime rate + 18.4 percentage pts. (* 26.65% as of 09/01/2017). Standard min. Apr 19.8%. Default min. Apr * 23.8%.

Program b:

Variable standard apr = prime rate + 17.4 percentage pts. (* 25.65% as of 09/01/2017). Variable default apr = prime rate + 21.4 percentage pts. (* 29.65% as of 09/01/2017). Standard min. Apr * 23.15%. Default min. Apr * 27.15%.

Anybody in their sane mind should stay away from this "promotional" offer designed to take advantage of the consumer even for a minor default. They will be finding ways to trap you.
N     0 Votes

Best Buy - scam and fraud!
823 Parker Street
Newark
New Jersey
Phone: 917-648-3807
www.bestbuy.com

I ordered a navigation system & 2 cds for my husband for christmas. I was sent an email the following day stating that the gps system was backordered. They did not display that information on their website. the website said that it was available online. now they want me to wait 4-8 business days to get my money back for canceling my order. Why should i wait that long when it didn't take them that long to take the money off of my debit card. and i need the money to buy a replacement gift. I call them and they have you on hold for over an hour. Then they refused to let me speak to a supervisor about getting my money back right away. I was supposed to receive the cds that i ordered on saturday 12/22/07 and i paid the extra shipping charges and ups has my scheduled delivery date for after christmas. I am going through hell to try to get different gifts for my husband because best buy false advertised and messed up my delivery dates.
D     0 Votes
I dont think they are going anywhere considering they are the number 1 electronic retailer in the WORLD. so you can go to circuit city and have your ### break and see what they do, you will probably buy it from them and next week they are bankrupt... or better yet... go to walmart...

Best Buy - rip off!
1550 Lake Woodlands Drive,
The Woodlands
Texas
Phone: 281-292-1355
www.bestbuy.com

On December 29th, while talking with a Woodlands Best Buy customer services manager, an angry customer just so happened to return a broken Digital Photo Frame that I had returned the day before after using it for 1 month and determining that it was defective. (It could only hold 80 of the advertised 256 Mb of memory). I pointed this out to the manager but he simply responded that I had no proof it was the same unit that I had purchased. I stated emphatically that it was, as this unit was missing both the stand and controller and I still had both those objects at my house as I had forgotten to return them. Several other customers overheard my comment.

The embarrassed store manager then angrily responded with an abhorrent display of poor customer support and stated that he would have me removed if I raised my voice again. In total disbelief at this incredulous lack of customer focus, I did raise my voice and told him that stocking the shelves with used defective products and selling them as new was in fact illegal and in violation of the Texas Deceptive Trades Practice. At this he threw me out of the store. At that point I did raise my voice and we exchanged some choice words.
D     0 Votes
This is not just a Best Buy finance isuue. This is done with all retailers who offer a financing promotion. Make the minimum payment on time, keep track of your promo dates, call them when your promo date is due to expire to find out your exact payoff, and pay it. It's not that difficult. Nobody is going to give you free money for 18-24 months withou an ontime payment schedule. Try missing a payment with a bookie. I'd rather pay interest than face "Vito".
D     0 Votes
I do not work for BB, but i still can't blame them for what they did. Just because your crappy DLP broke, you think it was thier fault. Did Best Buy come into your house and break it for you, i don't think so. It is not thier fault, it is not your fault. If you feel the need to go after someone, take your complaint to Samsung, they are the one's who made your lousy tv.
A     0 Votes
BEST BUY IS NOTORIOUS FOR POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. MORE THAN THAT THEY HAVE A HUGE INTERNAL THEFT PROBLEM AND THEY ARE AWARE OF IT. THE LOSER IN THS PROBLEM NOT BEST BUY, IT'S YOU AND I THE CONSUMER.
HERES WHATS HAPPENING SOMEWHWERE INSIDE BEST BUY EMPLOYEES ARE OPENING PRODUCTS TAKING THE ITEM OUT OF THE BOX AND REPLACING IT WITH ANYTHING FROM OLD TVS TO MUCH LOWER VALUED CAMCORDERS TO, (GET THIS) THREE BAGS OF BEANS. YES YOU HEARD ME "BEANS.'" IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CONFIRM THIS, READ ABOUT IT IN MONEY MAGAZINE FEB 2017 ISSUE. I MYSELF GOT SCAMMED BY THEM 7 YEARS AGO. I PURCHASED A THEN $900.00 SONY CAMCORDER ONLY TO GET HOME AND OPEN IT A DAY LATER AND FIND A MUCH LOWER VALUE MODEL IN THE BOX. I BROUGHT IT BACK AND TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT GOT "HOSED." I TRIED EVERYTHING BELIEVE ME, EVEN A LOCAL NEWSPAPER DID A SMALL STORY ON IT. THEY DONT CARE THEY FIGURE THERE NOT GOING TO GET RIPPED OFF TWICE, PROBLEM IS ITS THERE EMPLOYEES WHO ARE CAUSING THIS AND US THE CONSUMER BLEEDS. NEEDLESS TO SAY I HAVE NEVER BEEN BACK. THEIR LOSS AS I HAVE SINCE OPENED TWO RESTAURANTS BOUGHT TWO HOMES AND PURCHASED ABOUT A $ 100,000 DOLLARS WORTH OF MERCHANDISE ELSWHERE.

BOTTOM LINE DONT BUY ANYTHING THERE. IF YOU FEEL YOU HAVE TOO, HAVE THEM OPEN THE BOX AND PLUG IT IN BEFORE YOU LEAVE, AND MAKE SURE YOUR NOT GETTING THREE BAGS OF BEANS

Best Buy - panasonic 50& hdtv
Albuquerque
New Mexico

I puchased a Panasonic 50" HDTV 1080 p on the thanksgiving ad and I puchased several other items from that store. I was trying to get my TV to show a clear picture I went back to the store to talk to the sales person that told me I would not need an external device that there was an internal antannea. In the process I found out they did not give the TV I paid for. I paid for the 1080p which has better clarity and picure and they gave me a 720p. When I found out I wanted them to give me the correct TV and they refused to. Both TV's look exactly alike but they have different internal functions. On the receipt you can't tell by the codes if you are getting the TV you paid for or not unless you know the companies internal codes. The manager and I went round and round about this and I am in the process of filling a complaint with the BBB and attorney generals office. Consumers please be aware you may not be getting what you paid for
A     0 Votes
I had read that purchasing the Best Buy extended warranty was not really necessary. If the product you had purchased was going to fail it would most likely do so within the first year when the manufactures warranty was still in effect.

Wrong, the Gateway laptop computer I purchased did fail within 8 months of purchase. However Best Buy continues to have you return the product to their service department where no service is performed. After they are certain that the warranty no longer applies, they tell you to get lost. You did not buy an extended warranty and there is nothing else we are going to do.

What a terrible organization, Best Buy.

Best Buy - garbage!
Illinois

Kathleen Weimar
Office of the Attorney General
100 W Randolph St
Chicago, IL 60601

Ms. Weimar,

These ongoing negotiations with Gateway are redundant and are bordering on ridiculous. How many times do I have to address the same issues that have been presented in my previous correspondence?

1.) The phone support personnel at Gateway had determined that the failure of the motherboard was the reason the PCMCIA card slot will not to power up and that the computer would have to be returned to Gateway to have the motherboard replaced. However each time the computer is returned to Gateway, the motherboard is not replaced, which would solve the problem. The computer is ultimately returned to me as No Trouble Found/No Failure Claim Description Provided.

2.) The Sprint equipment and software did in fact work in the Gateway computer for approximately eight months, so we do know that the equipment and software are compatible with the Gateway computer.

3.) The Sprint equipment and software are currently working optimally in a Toshiba Satellite laptop computer. This would in fact prove that there is nothing wrong with the Sprint Mobile Broadband Service or the equipment provided by Sprint. The attempt by Dixie Radakovich to shift the cause of the failure to Sprint is an obvious red herring, when in fact the failure of the Gateway computer is the issue being discussed here.

4.) The computer as purchased from Gateway is in fact sold as ready to upgrade to Windows Vista and includes a certificate for a free operating system upgrade from Microsoft. Dixie Radakovich is obviously unaware of how these systems are shipped and sold as she contends that installing this software, Windows Vista, “could significantly cause problems”.

5.) I have used the Windows XP Media Center Version 2017 With Update Rollup 2 CD supplied by Gateway with the purchase of the computer and restored the system to the original factory settings. However the PCMCIA card slot will not supply power to a PCMCIA card when inserted in the computer.

I have done some research on the internet with my Toshiba laptop computer and the Sprint Mobile Service, the same service that will not work on a Gateway computer. I have found a pattern in the way Gateway handles any reported problems with the low quality products that they produce. The customer is required to send the failing product to the Gateway service department numerous times, with no service being performed. After they are certain that the warranty no longer applies, they are in a position to refuse to repair the equipment.

I am asking you to intervene and force an obviously poorly managed organization, bordering on criminal, to replace the product I have been sold with a new, not refurbished computer, which Gateway seems to prefer as method of resolving frustrated consumers complaints.

Best Buy - I got ripped off
www.bestbuy.com

I purchased a new computer case online from Bestbuy.com and paid for shipping to me home. After assembling the other computer parts in side the case I found the case power supply to be bad & took it back to a local store with the receipt. They would only refund the amount of the case, not the shipping cost. They said this is the policy so I got ripped off for $10.00. After many calls & emails to Best Buy they would not authorize the shipping refund. Just one incident as this will cause a customer to shop elsewhere & I have spent plenty there in the past.

Best Buy - defective electronic
private purchase
Vero Beach
Florida

I am a Canadian that purchased an electronis picture frame at best buy in florida which is defectived. I was told to return it and documents to amckay solectron in metcalf ontario. It was received by them on 4th april(postal trace) I called and they refered me to a Brenda at westinghouse in calafornia tel no 562 236 9800 i have called three times -no reply. the frame cost me one hundred thirty nine dollars so i want it replaced. My telephone 506 383 9221 could you tell me what i should do next? William Gollan
N     0 Votes

Best Buy - I will never step foot in a canadian best buy store ever again
Canada
www.bestbuy.ca

I was coming home from work on April 23, 2017 around 6:30pm. I needed canned air and thermal paste to fix my computer that was damaged from UPS, so I decided to stop at the Best Buy at Metro Town B.C. Canada on Kingsley street. Unfortunately The Best Buy did not carry the thermal past I needed and I proceeded to leave the store.

When I approached the door a tall man with glasses left his booth on the right side of the door and got real close to me almost touching me, had a smirk on his face and told me to have a nice day. When I proceeded out the door someone purposely set the anti-theft sensors off at the doors.

I was confused at first and the guy told me to come back so I did. In front of other customers humiliating me he demanded to empty my pockets with that smirk on his face, so I empty my pockets to show him even know that I was very up set that he would accuse me of stealing I even asked him if he wanted me to *** my shoes and if it was normal S.O.P. to profile and single out people and stop them at the door to be searched.

He got quiet and let me go. See the thing is that I once worked for Best Buy in Florida for 4 years and not once I have never seen such disrespect for a customer before in my life and I blame that on poor management and employee training I really hope someone in customer relations reads this and fixes that problem.

For now on I think I will never step foot in a Canadian Best Buy store ever again.

Best Buy - worst buy
www.bestbuy.com

After 3 months of research we found the stainless steel fridge we liked. Purchased it at full price for Best Buy. A day before the scheduled delivery they called and said they didn't have the fridge anymore except for the floor model. I didn't want the floor model. I called other stores and found it new in another city. They said they would ship that one to me, NIB. After 2 weeks they delivered the fridge. The delivery guy scratched the door while putting in the handle. He reported it and did I. The manager called me to tell me that the fridge had been discontinued. Offered to give me another fridge for the same price ($2600). We picked another fridge similar to the original. The same delivery guy came to do the switch and scratched the 2nd fridge. Scratched the 1st fridge even more while taking it out. I called to complaint while he was still there. I told them I didn't want the fridge since, this one too, was scratched. I want a scratch free fridge.

The manager called me back to tell me that since I had already received two fridges that I was no happy with they couldn't let me get a 3rd one!

They wouldn't let me get a 3rd fridge because they now had two scratched fridges! Mind you, the same delivery guy scratched both!

I got my money back (after a big hassle, too). Went to Lowe's and got the original fridge I wanted, which Best Buy said was discontinued. Lowe's delivered the fridge scratch free and with no hassle.

I will NEVER, EVER buy anything from Best Buy!
N     0 Votes
I was in the market for the new computer was willing to spend $800 to $1600 for a decent computer. I found what appeared to be a great deal.

I bought a computer for $900 and if the specifications were accurate then this computer was a great deal.

I took it home and it stunk. Ran horribly and could handle programs that my 4 year old desktop can run smoothly.

I took it back and the supervisor talked me into buying a model that cost about $300 more. I was assured that if this didn't work I could bring it back and get a FULL REFUND.

Of course when I tried the computer out is was almost as bad as the first on purchased.

I brought it back and they said I could either spend another $600 on a model that would "surely" work. OR I could get a refund but I would be charged %15 fee.

I told them I was guaranteed a return with no fee if I was unhappy with this new computer. I must admit that the girl at the service desk was actually polite and respectful but she said firmly that she can not over ride the policy.

At this point I asked to speak with a manager. I waited for almost 40 minutes before he came over and before I could explain myself he just chuckled and said boorishly "sorry dude you should have read the fine print" and then turned away and chuckled again. I calmly explained to him I would not have sunk more money into another computer if I was going to be charged a fee.

He wouldn't listen and now I am down almost 200 bucks.
N     0 Votes

Best Buy - wants to charge 30% restocking fee for different item or 10% for exchanging a defective purchase
2982 El Camino Real
Tustin
California
www.bestbuy.com

I purchased a dual - dual 7" 16:9 widescreen lcd portable dvd player - silver model: xdvd271 this morning at the tustin, ca store and it was really bought for the kids to keep them entertained on the road trip.

Excited as I was with this purchase, I started with the setup and installation around noon. Immediately, I identified several problem with the unit, such as the secondary lcd monitor has jitter sound when tuned up high, the dc power plug does not stay in (Which I tried several different ones and on different cars) , and that the power button was not responsive.

I went online and did some reach on this brand and found many people had issue with their quality control. After I picked up the kids from school around 5:00pm, I went back to the tustin, ca store to exchange for another brand due to this defective unit. I was instantly told that I will be charged a "restocking fee" of 30%. I was shocked and dismayed by what I was told. I told the representative that I just bought it this morning and it was defective. I told him that i'm exchanging it not returning it and the main reason is that it is a defective unit. Then I said what if I exchange it with the same brand, and I was told that I will be charge 10% restocking fee. This time, I almost felt to the ground. How can you charge someone fee for selling a "defective equipment?" I restated that it was defective and the representative told me that he will have the tech. Verify it. After 5 minutes he came back and told me that no issue was found. Now, most of the testing was not done in front of me and it was done behind the counter. I was truly not happy by what I was told and told them that I parked right outside of the store door and I can show them the problem. He refused and repeated his statement. I then asked for the manager and he told me the same thing and again refused for me to show them the problem. After half an hour, the manager finally agreed for me to change the same brand without the 10% restocking fee. After walking back to pick-up the new unit (Which I really didn't want to get another one with such a bad known quality) I ran into the department rep. And told him about the issue. He told me that he will talk to the customer services representative about getting a different unit and waive the restocking fee. After the customer services representative agreed, he then started the paper work process.

He and another manager told me that they couldn't do that and the only thing they can do is an equal exchange. I told them that how can it be equal when the newly exchanged unit is $20 cheaper than the original one I bought with higher tax I paid. I gave up and did not want to argue on this issue anymore and swear to myself that I will never put myself in this kind of situation again by buying at "worst buy. "

How can they put up this policy and attitude with this tight economic situation and the millions of online based retailers, who would want to deal with this kind of policy and behavior? As a consumer, the only reason i'm willing to "walk" into a store and paying high price is because I can get it immediately and knowing that I can take care of an issue when I encounter it. If I lose that too, why would anyone want to walk into a store and deal with this kind of unreasonable policy and behavior?

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree