Avis Rent A Carunauthorized optional services

D

I made a rental car reservation from Avis via Expedia with a total expected charge of $60.57. I picked up the car at the CMH airport location on May 13. There was a long line at rental counter. The person at the counter was named Mohamed. He was friendly and asked about insurance and the gas option. I declined all additional coverage and pre-paid gas from Avis. I was asked to review information on a small screen and then sign electronically. Upon returning the car, the "rover" check in service was down so I again had to wait in a line to get checked in. Given this delay, I did not have time to examine my bill in any detail. Once I had time, I noticed the total was over twice the amount ($130.54) I agreed to with Expedia. When I called Avis, they said there were roadside assistance and XM Radio charges. These options were never discussed with me nor were they pointed out in discussion or on the contract. They just slipped them in without any notice. (Rental agreement number [protected])

After several calls to Avis, their stance is that I signed a contract and they are sticking to the charges even though I have repeatedly told them that those options were never discussed, asked, highlighted, mentioned, etc. Nothing. I have AAA so I would have never agreed to a roadside assistance program from Avis. I also listen to podcasts and had no need for XM radio service - I was not even aware the vehicle was equipped with XM. For Avis to slip these in and then just say that I signed a contract is a good indication of their deceptive business practices. They hide behind a contract without addressing how these charges got added. They have ignored my statements about never having these charges mentioned and just say that I signed the overall agreement.

I am certainly willing to pay for everything I knowingly agreed to (namely the $60.57 I had expected from Expedia).

I will never rent from Avis again. They are deceptive up front and tone deaf afterwards. Nor did they recognize any of their service shortcomings. Super disappointing.

• Dm
    dmkim May 27, 2016

Oh and I forgot to mention, when I called to talk to their billing inquiry people, they actually told me that if I decided to take any kind of legal action that they would win since they had a signed contract. Seriously? What kind of company includes something like that in their customer relations script? Is this really the kind of company that stays in business?