Ashley Furniturenot honoring warranty

S

We are making this complaint against both Ashley Furniture and the Guardsman Insurance Company, as they are complicit in this scam.

Timeline

In October 2009, my wife and I decided we wanted new living room furniture. While we don't use the living room much, as we have a large family room, we felt our old (but very expensive when new) fabric-covered couch, while still nice, was outdated. We saw an ad for Ashley Furniture in nearby Yorba Linda, CA and decided to visit the store to price a matching couch and loveseat.

It was a large store with quite a lot of couches and loveseats in inventory, but almost all of them were leather-covered. When approached by a salesperson, we explained that we had 2 cats and a dog and we were concerned about buying leather furniture from a brand that we have never purchased before (we usually bought furniture at Macy's) because of (1) possible susceptibility to damage and (2) we did not know much about Ashley's products . She, pointed out, the Guardsman point-of-sale material that seemed to be on every table. She explained that if we bought the Guardsman Elite Furniture Protection Plan, our purchases would have “bumper-to-bumper” protection for 5 years; it even covered damage (cuts or urine) from animals. She said if they couldn’t fix any damages, then the furniture would be completely replaced. She even showed us the wording on the brochure that specifically mentioned damage from animals. She also added, “Don't worry, you'll have both Ashley and Guardian behind this product.”

Convinced, we purchase a couch and a loveseat for $1173.25 (including tax) and spent another $129.99 on the “Guardsman Elite Furniture Protection Plan”.

A little over a year later, our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, somehow sprayed on the couch between the center and the right (when facing the couch)“cushion” . Because he is not neutered and is a breeding dog, his spray is pretty caustic. We discovered this accident about two days after it happened. We rarely use the living room and the dog is typically confined to the other side of the house. When blotting up the spray, some of the color came out of the right “cushion” and within two days, the seam along the right side of the center “cushion” started to crack.

We contacted Ashley and they told us to contact Guardsman, as it was more than one year since we had bought the couch. We contacted Guardsman promptly, within the specified period from when the damage was discovered and they sent out someone who, ostensibly, would repair the couch. The man who came said he couldn’t repair the couch, as the tear was in a seam and since the couch's “cushions” weren't really cushions, but were attached to the couch, it would be difficult to repair. Ironically, this man remembered us as our house is at the top of a hill and he had delivered a very heavy marble dining table to us 20 years earlier! He volunteered to us that Guardsman would do everything it could to avoid paying for repair or replacement.

In subsequent days, the tear in the seam expanded, not only in length, but the cushion itself started splitting in a line ninety degrees from the axis of the seam.

Later, we got a form letter from the Guardsman company denying our claim, giving no reason.

Product Defect
Pressing Ashley, they refused to help, stating that was what we had bought the insurance for and that our efforts should be with Guardsman. Even though we lived less than 5 miles from the Yorba Linda store, they refused to come out and look at the damage. Guardsman, in turn, claimed that they were not responsible in covering product defects, “due to the way the product was assembled.”

This was a total “Catch-22”. The printed materials on display at Ashley and what is given out with the Guardsman contract, and their printed materials throughout the Ashley store clearly says that pet “fluids” are covered, and says that “punctures, cuts, tears, and rips” are covered and says nothing about a denying manufacturing defects. The Guardsman's website even mentions these coverages! (www.guardsman.com/en/furniture/services)

The Ashley-Guardsman Scam
Here is the scam as we see it. Ashley makes inferior products, at least with respect to their leather furniture. Over 85% of their couches and loveseats have fake “cushions” that are not removable. They look like cushions, but to save manufacturing costs, they are part of the body of the couch, with 3 separations in a couch and 1 in a loveseat, that makes it appear to be “cushions”. If they had real cushions, instead of these “Hollywood Fronts” a damaged cushion could be removed, repaired, or replaced. On Ashley's products they can't. I have a leather couch in my home office that is over 15 years old. Its leather is twice as thick as the leather on an Ashley couch.

Once a product is more than a year old, Ashley states that its manufacturer's warranty is void and, in turn, Guardsman says that, even though they are the extended warranty, manufacturer's defects are not covered. So Ashley gets to sell shoddy products. Guardsman gets to sell a worthless policy and the customer is left holding the bag, even though the extended “bumper-to-bumper” warranty, specifically includes damage from pets and pet fluids and mentions nothing about manufacturer's defects. Plus, the salespeople at Ashley emphasize that buying the extended coverage takes the worry out of having leather furniture.

If Guardsman were not the scam that it is, they would have paid for the repair or replacement and then sought to recover their expenses from Ashley Furniture. They have an obvious “agency” relationship. Guardsman promotional materials are to be found on just about any flat furniture surface at an Ashley Store. The Ashley salespeople and the Ashley corporation get a commission from Guardsman, and the customer gets stuck with a couch that is unraveling before my eyes.

Our Demand

As Ashley Furniture's couches are inferior, as they cannot be easily repaired because of their fake cushions and uneven stitching, we expect them to remove the couch and loveseat from our house after refunding to us the full purchase price of the coach and matching loveseat including taxes and delivery charges and refund the money spent on this useless Guardsman Policy scam. The total is $1, 303.24.

They need to act quickly, or I will see to establish a class-action lawsuit against Ashley and Guardsman, both individually and jointly.

Copies of this complaint will be sent to the California State Attorney General's office, the Office of the California Insurance Commissioner and the Federal Trade Commission for investigation into possible R.I.C.O. malfeasance.

• Al
    alexisg112 Aug 14, 2012

Can I join? I had a similar situation happen to me.

• Sd
    sdinsd Aug 24, 2012

me too. how do i get in on this?

• Tm
    TMS115 Sep 10, 2012

I'm currently having the same problem with Ashley Furniture and Guardsman Insurance. I purchased a $2100 leather sectional from Ashley Furniture in Killeen TX and I explained I have three large dogs and was afraid of getting leather and the guy turned me on to this amazing insurance. Well the inevitable happened and the couch was torn from the dogs and I filled a claim to get it denied before even hanging up the phone and now I sit here with a $2100 pice of poop.

• Jl
    jlane6429 Sep 30, 2013

the same issue. These two together are a scam

• Ju
    JUICYANNABELLE Aug 06, 2014

Ashley Furniture Warranty Scam!!! Please contact me @ [email protected] (I'm in the same situation) I did research & found out in Arizona there was a Lawsuit against them & they had to pay$400.000.00 . Action needs to be taken in Texas!

Joanne Marie Davis-Hall Jul 16, 2016

I've had the same problem with them. I bought the added "super scoth guard" protection, and the extended warranty, totalling over $1500.00 for a 3pc micro fiber set. Less than a week after having it I started having pieces fall off. I called the store where purchased who advised me to contact the warranty company. Contacted them, who then tried passing the buck back to the store. After a year back n forth I've got nowhere. Since then, my recliner stopped opening n closing, the springs pon the loveseat punctured the cushions n the couch wood cracked.

• Mi
    Millie R. Dec 02, 2016

We have spent over $7, 000 on furniture with Ashleys and over $500 in Guardsman warranties and they always loose my paperwork, cant locate my service requests, I ask numerous times if I can email/fax it since someone is always loosing my paperwork I send to them, manager of the store never contacts me back, I have a sectional that the leather is peeling off, a new bedset that the wood was not painted on it correctly, and nothing has ever been done. Why is there not a Class Action Lawsuit against them yet? I bet if more people come together on this matter we can win our money back. I have complained so many times and no one every gets back to me, my childrens bed was just crumbling apart, their dresser as well, I am so disgusted with this all, we should all get our money back. This company deserves to be shut down.

Orlando, Florida

• To
    Tony Westbrock Dec 20, 2016

2 years ago I purchased a leather sofa with an ottoman on one end. I was sold the identical insurance plan the grievant is claiming. 2 months ago I began to notice that the leather on a cushion seam was cracking along the entire length of the seam. The feel of the leather along the crack was very plastic-like. In addition, the brown color of the couch was wearing off noticeably. The insurance policy allegedly was to cover any cosmetic damage, including scratches and punctures resulting from pets, is covered. Last month I called the local Ashley in Brandon, FL, and notified the customer service rep of my situation. She immediately went into defense mode and said I did not report the problem immediately and that I had no claim. She gave me the toll free number to the insurance company and schocker, nobody answered any of my 4 attempts. The phone just rang to voice mail. This is clearly a scam as noted above. Not only will I not be shopping at Ashley in the future, but I'm going to go out of my way to make sure that none of my family or friends to either. Shameful practice and I hope they go out of business soon. Karma is a b####.

Maria Soliman Feb 02, 2017

I would like to join as well I have a similar situation and I definitely would like to join your class action lawsuit.

• De
    Denise DeY Apr 26, 2017

I bought several pieces of furniture from them. I have a recliner with that "durablend leather" that is ripping, tearing and peeling all over. It is disintegrating before my eyes. Guardsman had a "senior tech" come out and take pictures. He told me no problem Guardsman will cover this and I will get 2 pieces (for the back and seat) sent to me and someone will come out to replace them. 3 weeks later I call Guardsman because I hadn't heard anything. The woman who answered after 1/2 hour of holding told me it was never sent to the right department. It would take another 5 to 15 business days. this after I had placed the request in Feb. (over 2 months ago) I received an email the next day telling me they were not going to cover any over it! There are rips, tears and cuts all over it and it's getting worse. I called the tech he said he would take care of it 2 weeks ago. Not another word from him so I called Guardsman today and they told me the tech was wrong and they were not going to cover any of it because it was normal wear and tear. It is not normal wear and tear! It is literally Disintegrating. This leather is a farce. And so is Ashley furniture's warranty with Guardsman.

Ana63meza Sep 14, 2017

I would like to join, I have a similar problem

Tigrenok Nov 21, 2017

I advice you to email president of ashley furniture to get them to understand that this will be a class action law suit

Tigrenok Nov 21, 2017

[email protected], [email protected]

Christian Meza May 24, 2018

I want to join in this lawsuit against guardsman and Ashley furniture!!

• Ju
    Jun Min Noh Jun 12, 2018

Same thing here with the durablend and fake leather product. I want to join and I will join the class action. They better honor the warranty or the product that they sell. If they don't do both, it is definitely a scam!

Tigrenok Jun 12, 2018

If you paid with credit card less then a year ago contact credit card dispute and file dispute and attach evidence and you
    Will win it.

• Am
    amberwick Aug 09, 2018

Same problem here. purchased a bed frame with fabric cover on top. small rip starting to form. contacted the company who they set me up with. Was told this is a manufacture problem. No one even looked at it. I begged for someone to at least come out and look but nothing.Asked to speak to the manager and was told she was busy but would email a link to send pictures. called a few hours later and gave my email address again just in case they wrote it down wrong. still 1 week later nothing. NEVER EVER BUY FROM ASHLEY!!!

Tigrenok Aug 09, 2018

If paid with credit card file a credit card dispute and state that item is defective

• El
    elynnh82002 Aug 11, 2018

I’ve requested a replacement part for our recliner through the warranty company also more than 2 months ago and still sitting here waiting for it!

• Na
    Navyguy15 Sep 22, 2018

Meanwhile in Wisconsin Ashley home stores have a great warranty. Customer support is fantastic and the techs took care of us. Took a picture, guy came out to home and fixed the rip and broken draw no questions asked.

• En
    Enterbafna Oct 01, 2018

Same issues in N.J. Called to have my sectional cleaned. Instead of a service call I was mailed cleaning supplies and told to try to clean it myself. The cleaning supplies that were sent to me bleached the color out of the fabric. After 5-6 more calls we got someone to the house but this person came to repair the sectional. I never mentioned that the sofa needed repairing but I let this guy work. He tightened some screws and was looking for a monetary tip when I said, "What about the cleaning?" He knew nothing about the cleaning.
    It been over 10 years now with numerous stains and damage and I STILL have not gotten anyone out to clean, or fix this couch.
    I would love to join this lawsuit.

• En
    Enterbafna Oct 01, 2018

I purchased my first and last piece of furniture from Ashley in 2006. The salesman basically told me I would be stupid not to take advantage of the lifetime warranty, so I did.
    About 6-8 months after the purchase I noticed the sectional getting dirty from casual wear and tear. I thought it was a great time to call and have Ashley make good on their claim. About a week after calling to request a professional cleaning, I received cleaning products in the mail. Two small spray bottles. After calling Ashley back I explained to my wife that they instructed me to do the cleaning. I used the product and it caused a bleaching stain so I called Ashley back. About one week later a representative showed up at my door to see the couch. He promptly got on his hands and kneed and appeared to be tightening some bolts. When I realized he was holding his hand out looking for a monetary tip I asked when was he going to clean the sofa. He said he was not there to clean, only repair. I never asked for repair however whatever this guy did to my sectional caused the seat cushions to sink making a very uncomfortable place to sit and relax.
    Approximately 20 calls and over 10 years later I gave up. My sectional is in my basement stained, and needing repair.
    I would love my money back as I have not been able to ever properly use that couch. That salesman scammed me out of my money for a phoney warranty on shoddy furniture. Count me in for that lawsuit!

Tigrenok Oct 01, 2018

Contact channel 7 news and complain

Tigrenok Oct 03, 2018

Call Al Ghadban, Sr. Regional Manager, 608-304-6091
    Gary Donovan, Regional Manager: 608-304-1629

• To
    Tony Vuckovich Oct 22, 2018

We have the same issue with a leather couch. Same story. We purchased the furniture along with the warranty. filed a claim... they sent someone to look at it and determine if it can be repaired. Since the furniture could not be repaired as the compressed wood was separating they refused to replace the furniture since we had moved. Ashley furniture service is horrible and very disappointed at their service product. I hope these post help others realize to stay away from Ashley furniture.

Next is to utilize social media to make others aware.

• De
    Debroseext Dec 29, 2018

We purchased 2 couches. Both began to sit funny and we pulled them out. The frames had both broken and the "staples" they used to put it together had dug into our walls. Obviously the frames were 1 1/12 x 1 1/2. The warranty company said they didn't cover this. What? This is a manufacture defect! We burned both peices! After the 5 year warranty time, we went last night to get the refund for the warranty. Of course, they pulled what I knew they would stating you had to make a $500 purchase. I said no, this paperwork says nothing about that. She proceeds to pull a warranty card out to show me, before she could, I said no, that is not what we were given at the time of purchase and said here is our paperwork. She said you will need to talk to the manager. After waiting awhile, he came out and acted like he understood and if course we weren't told that. Kind of like, "I feel your pain". He was very nice, but I wondered if we were being snowballed. He said to give him a call today because he was sure he would forget to call. I called his "personal" cell number. It rang, went to a full mailbox, so I text him and decided to look up negative reviews for the phony policy. I cannot believe these stores can be allowed to be in business!! I do not expect a reply from him.

• Le
    Lecia McNair Feb 21, 2019

Same problem in Texas. Bought 2 recliners "durablend leather" and with 6 months seats and arms are peeling. Called Guardsman and they say it is normal wear and tear. What can we do?

• El
    Elizabeth Davidson Apr 04, 2019

I have purchased a number of pieces of furniture over the years and have always purchased the extra warranty coverage. I have never used it until recently. Although the sales people tell you that the coverage can be used for any issue, I found out today that isn't true. I submitted a claim for a dresser that had several chips on it as well as a number of deep scratches. I was told that my issue was considered 'normal wear and tear' and the warranty doesn't apply in this case. So either the dresser was of poor quality or the warranty was bogus! Needless to say, I won't be going back to Ashley!

• Su
    Suzie Erlach May 07, 2019

Im in they gave us a 5 year protection plan and now they said no. We have had it 5 months and the corner of the sofa you can already see the wood poking through. they are so awful to deal with

• Gr
    Gredhes sierra Jun 11, 2019

@Suzie Erlach I just called to make a claim for my child’s bed and they denied too. FYI, you can receive a refund for the protection plan! Never again!

• Sh
    ShireeM Sep 21, 2019

I am also interested in a class action lawsuit. We are currently experiencing a similar issue although the insurance company is GBS not Guardsman. A year after purchasing our leather reclining sofa we moved across country. We experienced a problem with defective cushions and a broken frame. The insurance company sent someone to our home to look at the sofa. They agreed that the damage was covered and said they would refund our entire purchase price which was 3, 853.35. We bought the sofa on our Ashley Cedit Card and asked that they simply provide us with a credit on our card. They refused and said we would have a store credit but the store credit was only good at the store we purchased from which was now 3000 miles away. The insurance documents do not say anything about limiting a refund on a valid claim to the store of purchase. We have asked that they either credit my account or provide us with a store credit in a store nearby. They have refused. This is fraud pure and simple. I'm guessing they think we will give up but if I have to move heaven and earth I will make sure that I am compensated.

• Fu
    Fustratedkarla Nov 20, 2019

I would also like to join this class action, it is an obvious scam and they say they cannot help me, but the sales rep had told us they would replace or fix any damage

• Be
    Beaudog Nov 21, 2019

I have the same issue. I paid $450.00 for the 5-year warranty. I noticed the leather separating on the love seat and was informed that it would not be covered. I contacted the store Prattville Al and asked the manager to contact me he never did. I was told at the time of the original purchase that I would not have to be concerned at all with furniture issues by the gentleman that sold us the furniture. I want a refund in the amount of $450.00
    Chris Cofty

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices