Amana air conditionerrefund

2009 purchased an Amana window air conditioner. It worked for 1 month! 2010 the replacement again only worked for 1 month., 2 months later, by then September, I was told they were out of stock. The refund would be reduced by 20% due to usage! What usage, 1 month!
Promised refund on 9/22/10. 10/18/10 called back, supervisor was to call. No call. 10/20 called back still no call back. 11/11/10 when would refund be mailed? 11/12/10 refund would take atleast another 45 days! I am sure I will NEVER RECEIVE THE REFUND.

Norge May 27, 2014

We had a furnace and air conditioner installed in June 2006 by Reliance Home Comfort and paid for a 10 year warranty on both units. The first season the a/c unit performed satisfactorily but didn't seem to cool as well as the previous unit. A tech checked it in July 2006 and found it had been overcharged and removed some freon. It seemed to be functioning better and the rest of the year was fine. The following spring of 2007 the unit cycled and cooled but was not as cold as it was the year before. I called the 1-888 number and the rep asked me to perform some troubleshooting to which I was told that the unit was functioning as normal and if a tech came out and didn't find anything I'd be billed for the service call. Well it wasn't as in the fall the a/c stopped working but as the season was over there was no point but to call them in the spring. So now comes spring of 2008 and it gets topped up, and the year after, and after, and so on.

So last year (spring 2013) I finally say enough is enough and I want it fixed. The tech tops it up again but puts a tracer dye and sealer in the unit. I didn't want the sealer as it will plug up the leak (possibly) but is a temporary fix and can actually cause problems and restrict the condenser coil tubes. Well it didn't work as I had to call them again this May 26th for a service call. They promptly booked me for today (the 27th) between 4-8pm but no one showed up and I had to call and wait to find out why. Apparently they're very busy and the appointment the tech was on took longer than expected so I have had to rebook for the 28th. We'll see if that happens.

I should add that I used to hold a valid ODP certificate and repaired automotive A/C systems. I've never seen a residential unit that needed servicing so frequently and even the "lemon" cars that I came across and a/c units that were built better. The other big problem is that a tech is supposed to diagnose a leak and repair it and is not supposed to fill a system that has a known leak with refrigerant. After 6 top ups you would think one of them would finally adhere to the standards that are required.

In a nutshell, horrible product, poor customer service, service tech's that are overwhelmed by time constraints. The cost of the warranty is not worth it as you would get better service and products from other companies. Very little value in staying with Reliance and I'm embarrassed to admit my lack of judgement in choosing them. Do your homework and go with a company that stands by their word.

• Rt
    rtg. May 17, 2011

dear sir on 4272011 I attemped to submitted a question to just answer on a problem I was having with an appliance, due to not accepting my password I never got to ask the question, much less accept the charge of twenty four dollars for nothing . please refund . thank you. rtg.

MattPPP Feb 18, 2011

Call your BBB. Another contractor, or Goodman HQ in Houston. Keep working to get the refund you deserve. It won't come to you unless you work at it.