Complaints & Reviews

Defective range

I purchased an Amana convection range in February 2005. This is one of their more expensive models. The clock and main heating element for the oven shorted out. The repair man said we're lucky it didn't start a fire. I contacted Amana and they said it was out of warranty and they would do nothing for me. I think a range that is not even 2 years old should be covered for replacement of the replacement items at no charge. The repairman said it would be over $500.00 to fix and recommended purchasing a new range instead. If I have to go to that extreme, it will not be an Amana.

• Vi
    vicki May 01, 2009

If you have an Amana range that allows heat to escape from the ranges/ovens when used in their intended manner and is causing irreparable damage to other components or the ranges/oven, including but not limited to, the units’ control board. This problem can discolor the units, diminishing their value and compromises the ability of the ranges/ovens to perform in their intended manner.

If so, this on going problem poses a significant safety risk to their users and property. I know many of you are frustrated and many of you have complained to Amana and have been told that, “There have been no complaints or that the problem does not exist”. Well they won’t be able to say that any more if the thousands of us come together as one and voice our concerns and complaints.

If you would like to be heard and possibly have your range replaced or fixed please send me an email of your existing problem along with your units’ serial number and model number and together we will be heard. [email protected]

Factory defects

I purchased Amana stove model AGR5735QDS from Sears in November, 2003. It is a self-cleaning model. I cleaned it one time after I had the stove about a year (I don't use the oven very often). The second time I tried the self-cleaning option it didn't work - June, 2006. I called a local authorized service repair center who told me the unit needed a new circuit board - the price would be about $350.00 which turns out to be 30-40% of the cost of the stove.

I know it is past warranty but I thought that only working one time was not acceptable and it sounded to me like a factory defect; under normal circumstances I would not ask for help but I believe this is way above and beyond normal wear and tear.

I contacted the Amana consumer helpline and the response was boiler plate - I got nothing from them. Of course, I would like Amana to replace the circuit board free of charge to me but I am open to sharing the cost but I was never offered any option.

I would like to know from you if I have any chance of pursuing this further.

Thank you. Phyllis

• De
    Debbie Sep 01, 2008

I purchased an Amana stove in 1991. Almost immediately, I dropped a can on the top and chipped the paint. My fault.
    The endcaps, which started out white, turned yellow. There is no way to get them white again. Amana did offer to sell me new endcaps, but I would have preferred that they hadn't yellowed in the first place. The drip pans that came with the stove were a pale gray. Looked nice when new, but it didn't take long for them to look bad. Amana sent me new black drip pans. I boiled water on the large back burner, and shorted out the control panel. When I called Amana, they told me I wasn't supposed to boil water on the back burner. Thank goodness I had the presence of mind to ask, "Exactly where in the owner's manual does it say that?" They had to agree that there was no such warning in the manual, and they paid for the repair. Now, we're remodeling our kitchen, and I'm unable to buy new endcaps. So far, I've been able to buy 3 of the 4 new control knobs. The writing/print has worn off all four, and I can't read them. I decided to buy a new stovetop (the piece that the burners go in) because ours looks terrible. I'm having trouble, but will continue to look for one. All in all, what I thought was a quality appliance turned out to be a piece of garbage, and I will never buy another Amana product again.

• Ro
    Robert Lottman Oct 29, 2008

I have an Amana that I thought would be a good unit. I have used the oven less than 3 times a month and the glow element does not work and has not worked in years. This electric crap is for the birds bring back the pilot light at least the oven works in my camper and it's not an Amana

[Resolved] Amana bottom freezer nightmare

I have an Amana Bottom Freezer Single door refrigerator. Twice the fridge has stopped cooling and freezing. It makes a funny noise and then I notice my freezer items are softening. I've lost 2 full loads of food, I've had my family of 4 eating out for 2 weeks while waiting for "service". They screwed up the first repair because the tech was trying to help. He didn't want to replace the compressor because he said the replacement will only be warranted for a year. The company claims that is incorrect and now they are sending someone out to replace it. Reading through what I am now seeing online, I don't feel confident that it will stay fixed. The customer lack of service department is horrific. All I get is customer service people who don't give a rats ### and are rude. They try very hard not to put you through to a supervisor or manager and when they say they will, they cut you off. They told us the part was in, scheduled a call and then cancelled it without telling us. When we called they told us that the parts really weren't in and we have to wait another 4 days. That was the stray and so after an hour and a half on the phone my husband finally got through to a "Solutions Manager" - she's sending us $75.00 and moved our appointment up a whole day. She also fixed the call tag so that they show up with parts. Big freaking deal - this fridge was $1100 and is only 2 1/2 years old. This company should be ashamed - Do you know that they own Whirlpool and Jennair also? Had issues with a Whirlpool washer and a Maytag dishwasher too. Both of those went while still under 1 year warranty but how sure do I feel about them lasting. BUY NOTHING PUT OUT BY MAYTAG/AMANA/WHIRLPOOL AND JENN-AIR.

The saga continues - the part is on backorder and the best we will do is a repair 15 days after calling it in.

• Updated by Wp2008 · Mar 07, 2019

Dear tomsa:
    Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear of your Range concerns. We would like to inquire further about your review with you. Please email us at [email protected], with your name, phone number, street address, zip code, model & serial number, and date of purchase, the website that you submitted your inquiry, a brief description of the issue, along with a copy of the review. We look forward to your reply.
    Thank you.
    Maytag® Social Care

• To
    tomsa Jan 23, 2019

after i purchased in the 5 month Amana Stove from Home depot, "tempurglass"start melting i contact with Maytag they send some oen at my home, technician he told me my 1 year factory warranty is not cover "tempurglass", , ref # S0404, , , SKU ;1002-064-136

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices