Alltele-billing + no paper trail = phantom charges + no recourse

I

I have been an Alltel customer for years. I just renewed my contract in August of 2017. In January of 2017, I received a bill for $234. The cost of my monthly contract was $67 - $72. They stated that not only did I "go over", but that I had only been paying a past due amount since summer of 08, stating that I never paid my July 08 bill.

I went 12 rounds with Alltel, insisting that 1) if I hadn't paid my July bill a) my service would have been discontinued in August or b) I would not have been able to renew my contract in August and 2) that I always paid what was indicated in the TOTAL DUE column on my E-bills and there was never a past due amount indicated. Long story short... I didn't have anything on paper to show the "TOTAL DUE" amounts and, therefore, had to pay the $234 bill.
Fast forward to today. My bill is ready. I log on to view my total due, expecting to see my normal $65 - $72 due. Instead, "TOTAL DUE" = $318!!! WHAT?!
Now a CS rep from Alltel is insisting that I went 569 minutes over (not possible) and that I made over 10 calls to my father over the last month, some of which were over 1.5 hours (DEFINITELY not possible).
They're going to "send me a paper bill" immediately" and I can review the charges. I said that I would get the statements from my father's carrier, as well to prove that we talk 2x per month for about 20 to 30 minutes. She said that Alltel won't accept that as proof that I didn't make the calls. I asked her what would. Her response?! That I "actually didn't make them". How am I supposed to do THAT if I can't submit the phone records of the number I allegedly called?
In other words, what Alltel makes up is as good as the Gospel and we just have to live with it.
Needless to say that I'm filing a complaint with the BBB and there is NO way I'm paying their FRAUDULENT bill (especially for the second time in 2 months), even if I have to go to court to prove its fraudlence and absurdity!

• Lo
    Loish Oct 30, 2010

Linda,

That sucks. Unfortunately you truly did meet a rip off rep. he just wanted to get commissions on you for new lines.

I recommend to everyone that changing numbers or your plan, anything, go to an agent or retail location. They can check your plan for you after changing it to ensure that upgrade and contract dates are correct.

You can even ask for a copy of your plan and contract to ensure that you are not being taken advantage of.

Best of luck to you in the future and I hope everything is going better now.

As for brettrat76,

It's not a lie that they can't control the speed. It's not like DSL or broadband, they cannot control the speed to your air card. The speed is determined by the amount of data being used off of the tower that you're hitting on. If 15 devices are hitting off of the tower it's going to be slower then if just 2 are hitting off of it.

It's people like you, that don't know what they're talking about, that had the facts given to them and chose not to follow them, that make laugh. Not sure how it's there fault that YOU went past 15 days...

Sounds to me like they told you everything you needed. 15 days to cancel, and you chose not to do it within 15 days.

• Pe
    Perkins May 28, 2010

I had used Alltel for years and loved them until several months ago when they decided to close several towers in the Augusta GA area affecting my service to the point that I either had no service or my service was so bad I could only talk a few minutes. Alltel even tried on several occasions to reach me but couldn't. After a month of this I could wait no longer. It was my only phone service and they could not give me any idea if or when the problem would be solved. They admit that my service area is now considered a bad service area (I kept the voice male) but will not let me out of the contract. Conversely the two air cards I was using they cancelled with no recourse because they were now roaming too much. So I guess they get to pick and choose what services they provide even if they can't provide them. I had no choice if I wanted a phone that got a signal now I had to move to another carrier. They sent me a bill for the full amount of the last few months and the additional fees. After I complained a lot they offered to pro rate the fees for braking my contract that they should not be charging to begin with but its going to be a cold day you know where before they get one more cent from me.

• Br
    brettrat76 Mar 16, 2010

Wireless cell phone companies are all ripoffs, that's why I use a trac phone and that is all I will ever use. Pay for it as you use it.
    Anyway, my Alltel ripoff story. It was for internet service not a phone. Where I live I can't get high speed internet service. I looked around at wireless companies and they all said their service wouldn't work where I lived. All that is except Alltel. They said that download speed would be 1500k and upload would be about 500k no problem. So I signed up. It was a 2 year contract not just one year so I should have known better right then. Anyway I was told I would have 15 days to try it and if I didn't like it I could cancel. After a couple of days of trying it I decided it sucked and told them I wanted to cancel. It was downloading at around 80 to 125k, just over dial up speed. They told me that the service wasn't even turned on full speed yet and that it was only on default until my account was set up. So I said OK I'll give it a couple more days.
    Well after a few more days it starting flying. Download was 1500 and up was 500 to 750. Wow that's great I thought. Weeeeell... that lasted until about 2 or 3 days after the 15 day cutoff. Then it went right back to dial up speed. Many, many calls and hours on the phone has done nothing to fix it. Every once and a while after complaining enough the speed will jump for a couple of days, then right back down. They keep telling me they can't control the speed and they aren't cutting it down. I know that's a lie, but what it is, is they just don't care.
    So I have given up on it and I am just waiting for the contract to be over. In the meantime I am going to spread the word all I can to keep other people from getting ripped off by Alltel. I even went the their store a few times, stood out front and talked people out of getting their service. Ahhh that feels sooo good.
    Take my advice and stay away from Alltel, unless you like getting screwed. Hey but that's a personal choice who am I to judge?

• Vi
    Vince V. Oct 08, 2009

Alltel ripped me off and tried to ruin my credit and 7 years of Alltel service is now over... It all began after Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. Alltel sent me a text message saying that our service was going to be free during these tough times.

That was nice, they gave me a free month and I switched to the $80 family plan and BAM! They hit me with a $1, 200 bill. That's more than my rent!

They said that I must pay the full bill or my service will be disconnected so I requested an itemized bill.

When I got the bill, it appears that they charged me for two individual plans and all the overtime for both plans, not to mention they charged me for the itemized bill.

After endless debates with Alltel supervisors, they admit they made a mistake in the bill. And offer to reduce the bill, but it was not enough. $500 is a far cry from $80 a month, so I threw in the towel.

Now Alltel is harassing me to pay the $500.00 PLUS a $200.00 disconetion fee.

I was supposed to switch to Cingular today, but Alltel's computer system is 'down' and they can not switch the phone number over.

While I remained loyal to Alltel for 7 years, they met me with incompetence and dishonesty.

• Ju
    justin_sm Sep 21, 2009

Wow... thats a way worse story than mine... wish I would have read this a year ago!

It's September of 2017 now... here is what Alltel did to me, and let me tell ya, my story is really really screwy!

I've never owned a smartphone before, but I was conned into getting one by a savvy salesman at Alltel (thats the way they are) who conveniently passed up the normal phones and forgot to mention that I was eligible for those as well. He told me I needed to get a new Blackberry phone. They require that you add internet to your phone service for that phone, and extra 10 bucks a month, or so they say.

I'm money problems in the economy like everyone else right now, so after making the bad decision of getting the Blackberry and not questioning the salesman, I go about a month with it and decide I don't use it enough and I just want to get rid of it. I am married as well and my wife's phone is on the plan as well... I had also considered canceling my service anyway because our cell phone bill was higher than any other bill we were paying monthly ( 116.00 a month for two phones, with the blackberry, it went up to around 130).

So, on August 13th/14th (I can't remember the exact date), I officially decided to cancel my plan and take the hit of 200 bucks for the cancellation fee... figured it pay for itself in a few months. I call in and of course they try to talk me out of it, but I do it anyway (they offer 50 credit to your account to spice things up!). I didn't fall for it. Anyway, the day I cancel it - as far as I know, the phone ain't gonna work anymore - so I figure out how to wipe the memory on the phone, I take photos of it, and then turn it off, take out the battery, and wrap it up in bubble wrap (planning to sell it on ebay).

I put it up on ebay the 15th - keep in mind the phone is off, battery out, and wrapped up in bubble wrap, I set it on a table in our entry way for easy access when I go to mail it - and the auction ends the 24th of August, bought and paid for. I send it off not too long of a while later.

Now, I figured everything was fine, but I was wrong.

This month (September, the 21st to be exact), I get my bill in the mail and it is $176.60 (I had paid the 200 dollar already). I'm like, what the hell! I look on the bill and they charged me for another month of service. Not only that, but they have it listed that I called an cancelled ON the 24th of August, not the 13th or 14th! And the real kicker... phone calls listed being made from the 14th to the 24th (most 1 to 2 min, longest one was 7 min) - calls supposedly made while the phone was OFF, WRAPPED UP, AND SITTING IN MY ENTRY WAY FOR ALL TO SEE. They charged me over $100 dollars for eleven days of service that never existed as far as I knew!

I called Alltel right away and of course their system is god to them, and there is no way for it to be wrong... and all thier employees are perfect, they say there is no way anyone would have messed with or changed things around. Anyway, I just want to get to a supervisor, but it takes going through 3 different guys (Ricardo, Chris, and Richard) to finally have one of them do what they say they are going to do, and when I finally talk with their female supervisor, she cuts me down to a 2 min conversation, says there is nothing she can do, the system is right, and if I want to pursue my complaint further, I need to go to the alltel website and click on the contact information and email corporate.

At this point I was so angry I called their pre-paid or whatever customer service listed in the contact information (since there was no corporate email that I could find), and went through another 3 people before I got to a guy that was genuinely sympathetic for me (probably because I went off and explained the situation to him with the most controlled anger and emotion I could bare to keep ahold of, I even asked him to to see it from my point of view and explained it to him twice to be sure he got it). Anyway, he put me on hold for a few minutes (nice break from being on hold for anywhere from 20 min to over half an hour between being transfered on my wild goose chase) and then got back to me saying he got me a 56 dollar credit to my account (he had called his supervisor over), but thats all he could get me for.

All I could do was take it and explain to him that if he ever hears of anything like this again he should look into it because it is the fishiest thing I've ever seen! I still have to pay over 50 bucks for service I never used during time I thought my phone had been canceled... and I'm seriously considering canceling my wife's phone with them and getting them out of my hair altogether... I'm just afraid if I do that, this or something worse may happen again!!!

My advice - NEVER< NEVER< NEEEEEVER go through Alltel to get a cell phone! DONT DO IT, YOU WILL REGRET IT!

Justin

• Do
    Doppleganger Apr 06, 2009

This is a blow-job article. I recently got Alltel service in which I purchased three phones, all with discounts. Three months pass and still no discount after sending in the required paperwork and upc. Wouldn't you know, we forgot to idiot proof the envelope as they all came back invalid, that is till we called, then poof...that missing paperwork genie appeared and made our missing paperwork visible to them. Awesome luck, rebates on the way. Tick-Tick, and so are the days of our lives(that means time passes). My wife called twice sometimes three times a day, struggled to get through their web of bs departments -- let's not forget, they hung up on her numerous times -- now that's quality customer service... finally learning that alltel conveniently has a separate department for rebates...so as to avoid responsibility. Once she got through, They tried to stand her up and down that we had only purchased two phones. Finally their questionably educated employees figured out the "problem". It was to our understanding that the rebate would be here at the end of the week, silly us for taking a company at their word. Now three weeks have passed and still no rebate -- call back I guess -- oh gee, wouldn't you know, we mistakenly forgot to give the impression, with our 1billion calls, that we cared, so of course they hadn't mailed it out till the day we called to check...hmmm. Let's talk about service, shall we? They had awesome service as it was, until Old Nick himself in the form of the single most tyrannical of cell companies Verizon bought them out. Then, like a freaky form of digital tourette's, the signal would spasm in and out even in areas of former high signal. Then there's the fact that we had to consistently reset our voicemail because their computers apparently disagreed with our voices. Needless to say, the only one on here that is full of it, is Daniel McElroy. Well, alltel as well, but that of course is a matter of opinion. Which some may enjoy them and have had great interactions with them, however others have not. So I'd like an article explaining why you seem to think you are so much more omnipotent than anyone else that you could brand people liars. Perhaps the spirits told you? Simple, everyone has different results when dealing with certain issues, as a "consumer watch-dog" you should recognize that and know that a real consumer watch-dog goes by the statistics, the numbers, the barrage of numerical consistencies. They pool a variety of numerous consumers and collect the differences, as well as the consistencies in information and tally the averages based on that fact. HMMMM, I bet you think Playstation is better than 360 too?

Sarah Mar 21, 2009

It's Saturday and I am currently on the phone with Alltel Customer Hang-Up on you service...for the 3rd time.

Alltel took out a DOUBLE payment on my credit card! I cannot wait the 3-5 business days, I am going into the hospital on Monday for a scheduled c-section and had our finances planned out for my husband to eat, get gas, etc.

Now I am on the phone and asked to speak to a sup to see if they can credit it back today. Every time I ask for a sup I am told that they can't give credits either and I will just have to wait. Then when I stress that I want to speak with a supervisor or manager they put me on hold then hang up.

I have had problems with Alltel before, and had to call Customer Service before, and it seems to me that there are only 5 people to assist the customers, because I spoke with Robert too. Then I spoke to the same 2 girls that I had a problem with a while back. I think they remembered me as well, because they were still snotty and rude. I figured to get a job in the customer service field you would have to have a clear American speaking voice, the Alltel people do not.

Next time I will just go into the store and pay with PENNIES.

• Na
    Natricia Jan 15, 2009

My account is now in the hands of afni #[protected]-02/ creditor account # [protected] please let me know what you can do to help me to retain my service. Thank You, Natricia Bennett

• Na
    Natricia Jan 15, 2009

I would like to know if I pay on my bill would I be able to retain my service.

• Da
    Dave Nov 18, 2008

"Didn't you buy the phone to use when you're not at your house?"

What a jerk.

Acyually I got the phone for my employees to reach me anywhere at one number. In fact this phone will NOT work in my home. I works outside and my Verizon Razr that supposedly Alltel shared coverage with, worked fine anywhere in my house.

Angry people... Better angry than full of ###.

• Valerie Oct 31, 2008

I ordered this wireless internet device for my laptop. The sales owman told me I had twenty days to retutn it if I was not satisfied. I received the device on Friday October 10th and set it up on the 12th. It was very slow as slow as dial up. Today I called to see how to return the device and they told me the twenty days started from date of purchase. How could I assess the usefulness of product if I was waiting for it to be dellivered. Customer service person told me I have to either pay a $200.00 termination fee if I want to cancel. I have two cell phones from this company and for 4 years I have paid on time.

I am very angry that the twenty day period started before I had the product and I would like to be recognized as a good customer and be allowed to return a product that is not useful to me due to the strength of the signalin my rural area.

• Valerie Oct 09, 2008

In October 2017, Alltel put on my bill $169 for equipment we did not have. When I called the 800 customer service, they told me to go to the store that had put the charge on - 100 miles away. Then I asked what good would that do anyway, it would be their word against mine, and the associate told me they could track it. I said what good is that if they discover it is in use somewhere in that city and she replied well, there is nothing we can do. I asked for the manager, got him and he tracked it and said that particular store had it as a loaner and his records showed it was loaned out to someone else. He said he would credit it. Then it was not credited. When I called back, I was told sorry, I can't help you he was in another call center. I am refusing to pay the bill. Cell phone companies are scammers!

• Eh
    E. Harrington Sep 18, 2008

The gentleman who started this post must really be with Alltel, or I wish I was living in the area he was from...I have read most of the post on this page, and I believe them, because I have had to deal with most of their problems. Charged for things that arent on the phone, things billed for that are suppose to be free, charged roam when not even close to a roam area, lost security deposits, un needed contract and phone up grades (makes them money) ...I KNOW I AM NOT the only person that has been done this way!! And if he is so happy with Alltel, why does he know so much about all the major carriers????? Sir...you insult these people and YOU dont know what you are talking about!! Might I suggest to you...click over to Consumer Reports and you will read more of the same stuff...google and you will find more, and more. Different people, different companies, they are all the same...looking for ways to make money, sneak, scam whatever. I deal with two different stores, and 611...it's like 3 different worlds. Maybe they should train their employees better and teach them how to use their computer programs also!! You need to get real!! AND stop making insulting remarks to people when you dont know what your talking about!! I've "been there, done that" and I happen to know what these people ARE talking about!! Until it happens to you, remember this, their is such a thing as "Karma"...good luck, your going to need it!!

• Valerie Sep 17, 2008

Where do I begin… Several months ago we started an account with Alltel wireless. We have two lines one is a smart phone the other is not. We did a lot of research on plan cost and phone cost. We thought Alltel was the best match for what we needed. The first two months of our business agreement with Alltel was great. We had wonderful service where ever we were. The trouble started three months into our contract.

We moved to a different city and needed to change our phone numbers to the appropriate area code. We contacted Alltel to do so we spoke to a nice gentleman who said we could change our number without a problem and without charge. We got our new numbers and three weeks later we got our bill with the new number. Two days after that we got another bill with our old numbers claiming we owed $200.00 for closing our old numbers plus we owed them money for the current bill. It took 7 different people at Alltel to fix this problem.

What Alltel had done was a hirer an incompetent person! We were told by the supervisor on duty the (third one we spoke to) the gentleman who switched our numbers closed out our old numbers by closing out the contract and opening a new one, which caused a break in our contract. No notes were ever added to our count with the original phone numbers. OK so this got fixed and we owed just the original monthly bill. We thought everything was going to be fine... What were we thinking...

The following month we get a bill for $50.00 more than what it should have been. We thought we went over or minuets (should have paid more attention to the bill) So we paid the full amount. The following month the bill is even more so we call and only to be told we have two smart phones and that is why our bill is so high. Ok here is the catch we only have one smart phone and one not so smart phone (a normal no bells and whistles phone). We try explaining to Alltel we only have one smart phone they do not want to hear it. We are not outright called liars but as many times as we told them and gave them equipment numbers of the two phones what else could they have been saying... I mean really!!

So finally we spoke to someone with some common sense who fixed the problem. The problem we then had is the payment had already been taken out of our account. We called the next day to get a part of the payment they took from our account back so we could pay our other bills. We were told by a supervisor they could not and would not refund our money. They had no way of doing so, they would use the extra money they took out towards next month's bill. We of course tried to explain to them we are hurting like everyone else in the country and need the money back in our account to pay bills. We were laughed at and told it was not their fault we do not pay attention to our billing statements (for real?). At this point we are very angry and ready to cut our ties with Alltel, but they catch you there as well you have too pay $200.00 for each line you cut the contract with. Side Note: Which by the way if you are paying attention the prior month they explained to us the reason we were billed for $200.00 dollars extra was because according to their records we broke contract on the phones we had. Needless to say we had a credit... so we thought. The following month we ended up with a bill. When we called they had no record of the credit and told us we paid what we owed. Finally after talking with several people we got it fixed and owed a small amount of our bill.

We had not had any problems with them for a few months until today. I guess they thought we had not messed with them for a while... We go to check our account balance so we could find out how much money we could spend at the grocery store and on gas after our light bill and other misc. bills came out for the remainder of the week (today is only Monday) and there is no money in our account. We got online and looked at out account and found Alltel took out a double payment. Of course we called Alltel's Customer No Service Line and spoke to a gentleman by the name of Robert. Robert explained this was their mistake and he would fix it. His fixing would take 2 to 3 business days. We tried to we explain our problem of the light bill which had not come out of our account yet. Robert continued to say there was nothing he could do we would just have to accept this as is. Of course we are now seeing red!!! We decided we are going to cut ties with Alltel at the end of the month we explain this to Robert who out right laughs and says you have one more year with your contract you break it we will get your money anyway. Does anyone else have a problem with this statement??

Needless to say we had to borrow money from our parents to pay the light bill and there will be no going to the grocery store not even for the necessities. I am glad Alltel enjoys putting their paying customers in financial restraints. Not even Sprint Nextel does that!!!

So to anyone who is looking at going with Alltel I ask that you reconsider or at least weigh all of your options before settling.

--Foodless but I have a cell phone!!

• Je
    Jessica Bryant Apr 07, 2008

I have been with Alltel for one year in Virginia. Before that, I was with them for three years in North Carolina.The only problem that I had while in North Carolina was long waits at the store.However, where I live now I have absolutely NO SERVICE! I called to disconnect and Iwas informed of the $200.00 fee(because I had 15 days to terminate initially)I explained that the sevice was not as bad in the beginning but has since got worse.I have changed jobs and it is mandatory for my employer to reach me(which is impossible because I only have service 30 miles from my home.)Then I was told if I had the appropriate upgrades done and it didn't help to call in a trouble ticket.so, I called in the troble ticket and was told that if it was determined that my area had poor service, that Alltell COULD waive the early termination fee.Well, the ticket revealed that my area had"spotty service at best", but they refuse to waive the early disconnect fee.So now I either have to pay 200.00 or pay 55.00 for the next 13 months for a phone that I literally can not use.I just think it is poor customer service when a company has had a customer for 4.5 years that has always paid their bill and through no fault of their own has to pay for a service that the company can not provide

• Ta
    Taylor Mar 05, 2008

I would like to share a very terrible experience that cause me a 1 hour drive, gas, mileage and a big headache at a Alltel retail store. It began with a LG8600 gold razor phone. Paint peeling and poor connection. I was told to go to the nearest Alltel store to change phone for another cellphone. It"s still under warranty. Visit the store and right of, dude, They tell me that I can't change phone out, liquid damage(please do not buy leather or any cases for these phones are sensitive to moisture. So therefore had to do an insurance claim. Spoke with my insurance company( get insurance for your phone!!!) and was told ,yes you can get phone for a fee of $50.00 hmmm! Yes paid it really needed my phone. Everything is bought out to me, but they give me a green phone , no problem with color but check phone and it has a little peeling on it. I tell the sale rep he tell me this is the only color I can get that the insurance company states I can only get this color. LIES, call Asurion while he'd listen, they have nothing to do with what color you get, as long as it's the same brand and same model. He was being a complete (anatomical hole) said their policy states I get what I'm given, ohh yes I reported his name and all to the Alltel Corporate office and to the insurance company and by the way the whole time he was telling me all these lies I had both reps from Alltel and Asurion on the phone whole time. I went on ahead and got the phone but I did put a claim in the stated all the problems I had to go through on what was suppose to be a great day. I know there are a lot of good people out there who would like to know, check your phone make sure it's not sensitive to moisture, that may void your warranty (sweat can kill your warranty) pull the back of your phone battery out if the circle indicator is pink. DO NOT STEP FOOT IN AN ALLTEL STORE OR CALL BECAUSE YOU WILL BE THERE CONTEMPLATING ON <Why did I ever buy a cellphone with Alltel!!! Read the small print and ask questions.

• Ra
    Ray Wipf Feb 19, 2008

they let my brother sign me up for my last contract so to get a new phone for him without my permission they knew who I was was not mistaken identity they knew who I was stuck me with a cell phone that didnt charge made me charge my insurance 3 times to replace new phones that didnt charge finally got phone out of them that took charge but reception was terrible had no choice but to opt out of contract got a letter from alltel got copy crediting me back my final charge of965.75 only to have it show up on my credit report collection agency even agreed with me that it was bogus have made 20 calls to alltel about this keep transferring me and putting me on hold and even hang up on me

• De
    debra hanse Feb 11, 2008

I have an issue, that with a little help from CUSTOMER SERVICE would be easy to resolve. My mother and I have a cell phone plan. I lost my phone for a couple of months. I told my mother to go ahead and shut my phone off due to the fact I don't use it that much anyway. Of course, she couldn't do that because of the contract. Well, I find my phone... It is inactive due to inactivity. I call alltel. They have to speak to my mother due to the fact her name is on the account. Okay... I can't call her to tell her to call Alltel, because my phone is inactive, and I live 30 miles away from her.. My mother has been paying $20.00 a month, for a phone that doesn't work, and Alltel ( I even talked to a supervisor) said they can't call her because their phones don't call out. I asked, "you don't have a phone in the building that will call out?" Yes, mamm we do. You can't walk to it to call her, so she don't have to spend $20.00 for nothing anymore. The answer was yes mamm, I can, but I can't. WHAT!!! To top it off, a survey recording came on before hanging up, and told me they were going to call me back in a couple hours. That just doesn't make sence!

Marty Veltkamp Nov 29, 2007

This guy must be on commission with Alltel. Three months ago, I discontinued my service with Alltel. I was informed that my service was active until September 22, paid up until then, but after that I would owe nothing and my service would end. (I had no contract) I was not sent a Sept. bill, but was sent a past due notice in Oct. I talked to a representative who apologized for the mixup, but she would fix it. I just received a November bill showing a credit for $65.00, but a past due balance of $8.75. I called the company this morning and was told that I was a liar, and when I asked to speak to her supervisor, she informed me that I was not allowed to speak to anyone but her and that she was terminating the call, then she hung up. I called my attorney and he advised me to write a letter, and if that doesn't work, he will get involved. Because of privacy laws he couldn't tell me any details, but I got the impression that this is not the first time he has dealt with Alltel. Hopefully, they don't turn me over for collection before I get this resolved. What a bunch of crooks! The reason I canceled was because once a few months ago, the post office damaged my Alltel bill and sent it back to me. I turned right around and sent it back to them, but they still shut off my phone. When I called them, the operator was abusive and harassed me about my late bill and "when will you pay the next one?" "When I get it!!" was my reply but I knew I was done with them. I didn't sign with Alltel-they bought out Cellular One, who I had my service with originally.

• Cr
    Craig Pingle Nov 27, 2007

I agree. Alltel is the worst cell company in NW Ohio. The service is very unprofessional. Especially S Lehman. He dose not have a clue what he is doing!!Dose not know how to handle customers!!

James M. Wright Aug 20, 2007

Alltel billed my an additional $5.99 each of three phones or total of $17.97 per month. According to the Service Representative, when you look for ring tones possibilities on the Alltel site, you automatically become subject to the text messages of the latest joke and your horoscope read inf for the day. I reviewed my Alltel account and found that I was being billed and deleted the service.

I have filed a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission this was admittedly a scam by the employee. if you have had a similar experience, you go the FCC.com and file a form #1088 and describe the problem.

We will probably pay the bill but will look for another cellular service later.

[email protected]

• Sh
    Shelly F. Aug 10, 2007

Alltel
    Cellular/Wireless Sales
    Shopko Plaza II
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin 54495

My daughter Nicole receives cell phone service from Alltel. When the contract expires, we will be canceling our phone service through Alltel and won't go back. Nicole went to the local Alltel office to make her first payment of 186 dollars and change. An Alltel employee named Amy accepted her money and gave her a receipt. When counting the money, Amy divided it up into two piles, one of $100 and one pile containing the $86 and change. My daughter had to remind her to put the $100 in the cash drawer. She then left the store with her receipt. A few days later our phones were shut off due to non payment. Alltel claims that only the $86 and change was paid on the bill. My daughter couldn't find her original receipt, and went to Alltel to get a copy. The Alltel print out showed that some minutes, I think it was 10, after receiving the full payment, $100 was canceled. My daughter did not cancel that $100 nor did she receive $100 back. After MONTHS of dealing unsuccessfully with Alltel, and their outside payment investigation company, they have once again shut off our phones. The payment investigation did not find the Alltel employee or company at fault, since my daughter could not prove that she didn't receive the $100 back from the Alltel employee. It is rather obvious to us that this employee lost, misplaced, or pocketed that $100. And how is a person supposed to prove they didn't receive money? And why would someone pay a bill in full, and then 10 minutes later go back and ask for money back? And who would expect that even if you did ask for the money back, that the company would give it to you? Not only has this been a ridiculously frustrating experience for us, it is costing my young daughter $100 that she already paid in good faith. I called Alltel last night, and the customer service representative hung up on me. My daughter has called numerous times to get the number for the outside investigation company's number, and the Alltel customer service rep claims not to know that phone number. The local store's manager has been incredibly rude to my daughter and she has been disconnected and hung up on several times while trying to resolve this matter. Another employee at the local Alltel store has told my daughter that this is neither the first nor the last incident that has occurred with cash discrepancies concerning the other employee. And still Alltel will not give my daughter the benefit of doubt over this manner.

Shelly

• Da
    Daniel McElroy Aug 01, 2007

All 8 complaints I read on this page are full of misinformation to make these consumers sound like they got ripped of. Several of these facts are made up and just not true. For the truth in cellular customer service, see how Alltel stacked up in the last Consumer Reports that covered cell phone carriers. I'm not an employee of Alltel, but i am a customer. I also am a researcher for a consumer watchdog group and have checked several different cell phone companies. Statements such as "When June came, I called to cancel and was told that I needed to cancel on the exact day of the month I signed up on 12 years prior which I had missed by 3 days. Since I missed that day, my contract on that line was automatically renewed for 2 more years" are not true. This customer was either misinformed (and all companies, not just cell phone companies, have employees that make mistakes) or he's lying about this to make his complaint sound better. Alltel's policy is to only renew contracts for phone discounts.

Also, the contact info for the corporate office that everyone claims is impossible to find is listed on the website under "contact us". The people with attention spans too short to pay attention to what they are buying are usually the same people that miss this contact info on the web. go figure. All cell phone companies operate with contracts that lock you into services. Alltel is the ONLY company that will provide you an invoiced (post pay or non-prepaid) service without a contract if you don't accept a discount on the phone.

All cell companies have spots where your phone won't work. no where on ANY cell company plans does it say "This phone will work perfect at your house". Also, if you bought this as a "mobile" phone, then why do you say things like "I have been an Alltel customer for 5 years. I recently moved to an area that is still serviced by Alltel and I am able to get 1 bar (sometimes) at my residence. I have called Alltel and was told they can't guarantee service, yet won't let me out of my contract due to the inability to use my phone. It seems I must pay for a service that I cannot use."? Didn't you buy the phone to use when you're not at your house?

These complaints are mostly repeated to every company by the same people who want something for nothing or want to be compensated for their own ignorance. The post about the retail store is certainly a valid complaint - but notice it was also written by the most polite person on here and they didn't add in a bunch of nonsense. Real complaints are usually few and far between. Consumers should beware of angry people with nothing to say...

Feel free to email with questions about cell phone companies. I can offer tips on how to handle problem situations and am experienced with all major carriers.