AirBNB11a panners way queenstown - hmanq4rfhq

L Jul 03, 2019

Booking 2nd July to 5th July 2919

We arrived after dark yesterday and let ourselves into the house using the key from the lockbox on site.
We were very disappointed at the state of the house as it was dirty and undergoing renovations. The carpets hadn't been hoovered, the kitchen surfaces and floor felt "sticky", there were empty beer bottles piled up outside and the whole place was dusty and somewhat grimy with sweet wrappers, bottle top and general dirt. When we looked at the bedrooms, one bed had what looked like a rodent dropping on the sheet under the duvet, another bed had creased sheets and blood on the pillow case and a third bed had hairs on the sheets and pillow cases.
The renovations were incomplete with exposed insulation hanging down in the ceiling, exposed plaster boarding and insulation piled up in the laundry room, which had no ceiling, just exposed wires and pipes and wet washing hung on an airer. There was also exposed wiring hanging down from the corridor ceiling, the carpet on the stair landing stopped abruptly which was a trip hazard and there was a gap at the foot of the stairs in the tiling which was also a potential hazard.
I immediately rang the host to question the cleanliness and the renovations etc. He said it had been cleaned the previous day but would send a cleaner to change the beds and clean. She arrived with a translator around 10pm and changed all the beds and removed the wet washing. The translator was also appalled at the state of the house and took photographs to send to the host. She did not clean the house as it was pretty late and she had a small child with her.
The next day we expected the house to be cleaned and I also sent an email and photographs to the host to substantiate our concerns.

Upon returning from our activities the house had not been cleaned. The host did reply in the evening saying we were over exaggerating the state of the renovations but he could arrange a clean at no extra cost to us!!

I do not feel the host has taken our concerns seriously and this house in its current state of repair and cleanliness should not be on a rental site. This whole episode has been hugely disappointing and extremely stressful for me and my family, when it should have been a wonderful place to relax after our daytime activities. We have not been able to find alternative accommodation at such short notice. I feel we have wasted a huge amount of our holiday time liaising with the host, who lives in Christchurch, and raising issues and supplying photographs, which haven't been taken seriously or satisfactorily addressed and therefore I would like some compensation for this.

I have used Air BnB in the past and never had any issues with properties or hosts, in fact we have more booked during our holiday. Having to raise this complaint to the host and not to be taken seriously has caused me a huge amount of anxiety, when I should be relaxing on holiday.
I have supplied the same photographs I sent to the host and all our email exchanges are on the site.

I look forward to hearing from you
Kind regards