Menu
Air New Zealand
reviews & complaints

Air New Zealand
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

98 complaints
6 resolved 92 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Air New Zealand. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
F
10:51 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Well it's a complaint about the service you provided to my son who purchased a business class ticket to Fiji. He purchased one way and upon check in was told that he had to purchase a return as this is part of the visa conditions of entry into Fiji. At no stage of booking did it suggest to customer or inform him of the requirement of a return ticket. The...

J
6:04 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

4 hour plane departure delay on January 21, 2020 My son, Will James Shumaker, was booked on NZ 28 on Jan. 21, 2020 from Auckland to IAH. This flight (NZ28) experienced 4 Flight Delays for a total of a 4 hour delayed departure! When I kept calling, the told me the reason for this delay were: "plane malfunctions". My son had a connecting flight on United...

J
4:47 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I booked my Mother on a flight to return to Wellington 10th January 2020 VYBL2H NZ8314 departing Nelson at 1 50. Louise Barnhill We entered the airport at 2 11pm (ticket was shown. to staff) I dropped my Mother by the departure area and parked. She was waiting by the assistance desk where three staff were. She is 86 years old and and was using a walker a...

8:45 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Hi, I was very dissappointed by customer service I have from my air newzealand flight. Flight NZ23 ( Dec 11, 2019 from Vancouver to Auckland )Firstly, flight staff looks so miserable and tired and they are not happy to serve you. They don't even pay attention to listen to passenger . It happened couple of times during my flight when I asked for water and...

10:31 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Confirmation number: DCCS7H. Date Sat 04- Sun 05, 2020 I had a return flight from Perth to NZ booked on the above date to depart at 6.55pm. I checked in on the morning of the 4th only to find it had been cancelled. I had recieved no email regarding this cancellation, I rang customer services straight away and waited for about 15-20mins to talk to an...

V
11:49 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Hello, I booked a ticket via Air NZ from Palmerston North to Los Angeles Return my ticket No: 0862190301847 and Booking Reference Number G5HJGH, leaving NZ on 15th December and return flight on 3rd January from LAX. I paid for preferred seats in both the long-haul flights as I have long legs and need the leg space to stretch out and therefore seat near the...

H
1:42 am

Air New Zealand - check in on domestic flights

I wish to make a strong complaint with reference to my flight from Gisborne to Auckland on the 28th December.
I was booked to fly at 9.40 a.m. (ABBXRH booking reference) Unfortunately due to my partial disability and road works outside the airport building I was approximately 2 minutes late to book in. As a result I was refused passage on that flight, even though the passangers had not started boarding and baggage was still on the trolley waiting to be loaded.
To add insult to injury I was charged another $100.00 to get on the next flight
I am very disdappointed with Air New Zealand as I am a Kiwi and like to support my local carrrier, but after this totally insensitive treatment I will be reluctant to fly with you again

Pauline Flynn

N
9:45 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Good afternoon. This is not a complaint about Air New Zealand BUT your involvement with the Cook Islands Government and Rarotonga International Airport. My wife & I and another 300 passengers travelled on Flight NZ18, Auckland to Rarotonga and Los Angeles, on 21 December. All passengers were asked to leave the aircraft at Rarotonga, as expected, but much to...

N
2:55 am

Air New Zealand - check in

Booking Reference ICCDDH
Flight NZ124 dated 27th November 2019, MEL-AUK
Norman Roy and Melinda Roy
Our fares included 2 checked 23 kgs each, total 4 bags
On checking in the check in computer advised that we were only entitled to 1 bag each and requested a payment of AUD 460.00 for the other 2 bags.
We immediately brought this to the attention to the roving assistant and showed her both a paper trail and our AIRNZ app to confirm our baggage allowance.
We were then requested to speak with the service desk, all up we were with AIRNZ for 45 mins to an hour and feeling highly embarrassed and doubting ourselves and our agent.
AIRNZ confirmed the baggage allowance and to our relief we then went through Customs etc.
Not too sure whether you are aware of this but this type of inconvenience can really place a dampener on a holiday.
Can we be compensated for your errors,

Norman & Melinda Roy

K
10:49 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I recently travelled to Auckland from Melbourne with Air new Zealand and was quite saddened by the lack of information regarding meals on board I did not bother to book a meal ahead as thought I may sleep all the way as of an early flight, as my seat also, I was astonished at the slow sevice of the refreshment/meals offered, we were up in the air a good...

M
4:23 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Not happy with the way my Husband and son where treated due to flight cancellation the accommodation they are staying at is very low star and the food is all so descusting I am so upset with other people receiving novtel accommodation this one man staff treated my husband unfair due to his appearance air New Zealand should be looking after their own people...

T
2:45 am

Air New Zealand - business class

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to give you an opportunity to PLEASE EXPLAIN how it is that after paying at least $500:00 more for your Premium Business ticket than he would have paid for a Premium economy seat My husband was served his breakfast last, because the staff were too busy serving Premium economy seated people first and by this stage they had run out of plain yogurt and then his "chef prepared "main course was unavailable because, as the staff member informed us, the Premium economy meals were the pretty much the same as the business class.and they had given all his meal away!
Before I change airlines for good and post a warning to my fellow business flyers about this obvious rip off, of business class passengers by the now nz premium economy class. I would like some kind of excuse, of course
This was after not being able to get a seat in the nz Auckland business class lounge because of the number of families travelling, I wonder if all the those people were paying full business class adult fares for their seats, I believe not.
All I can think is Maybe Air New Zealand does not want to follow through on its actual business class advertising proganda.

It underpins the question what now constitutes business class and what are we paying 500.00 for ?
What does air nz actually want to facilitate as its business class policy ?It appears that the adult business class traveller, travelling for business, don't have any business flying with Air New Zealand. They are subsidising every other person on the plane, without the benefits of the quality of travel that paying an extra $500.00 should entitle you too.!,
If the service from air nz is anything to go by so far - I may not get a satisfactory answer to this email. But the commerce commission and the business magazines and networks I have built up will certainly be hearing from me.
I was also subjected to a ranting mansplaining misogynistic sexually inappropriate languaged customer service manager "Andreij" getting in my face for far far too long.
A cheap and rotten service without any of the standard business class at any end or during the trip.
Really trying to support NZ but really ashamed of the product:(
Sara

1:24 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

we flew out to Niue on the 14th Sept great flight by the way, prior to that we couldn't purchase an extra bag online for departure but could on the return trip and were told that you cant do that prior to departure but you can on return trip which we did, we were charged a excessive fee of $170.00 prior to departure which is rather steep and only $60.00 for...

G
11:18 pm

Air New Zealand - damage to vehicle in parking area - car has been moved

Hi there

My car was parked in one of the Auckland open area car parks - area L.
When I returned last night, it had been moved from the parking that I had parked it in to an opposite car park and backed in.
This morning, in the light, I noticed that the car paint work had been damaged in what is obviously lifting of the car - I have no idea why it was necessary to move the car

Glenda Schnell
[email protected]

n/a

S
6:51 pm

Air New Zealand - tv ads

Why is Air New Zealand not doing an ad on tv re this new service from Invercargill to Auckland you should get it out there with tv radio paper and u tube my problim is it is not on our tv 1 or 3 here is my name Stephen Luscombe phone 039730213 or email me on [email protected] we are a city here in southland we what to be notice out there just a thought

9:20 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I am complaining about the lady that i spoke to on the phone when i was trying to book my granddaughter anastasia-rose mohi. We were at the airport on time the date was 23/07/19 plane departing at 8.45am to apia samoa i hadn't taken the block of my granddaughters passport she was unable to fly. Now the lady at the disk of air new zealand told my sister...

U
4:17 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Kia ora My Flight from Niue to Auck on 12/07 I Travel with my Son.on a Works Airfare.. My concern is that we have 4 piece..1xfree piece each..and 1 each pre paid online for extra piece But still the officer serve us told us to pay $ 170.00 Same thing happen on our Return to Niue on the 23/07..its confussing and makes me mad..of this happen.. Just voice my concern if i can get my money back.. Thank you T Talaiti

F
5:17 pm

Air New Zealand - customer service

Call center has been consistently rude and unhelpful, slapping on fee after fee and not delivering consistent messaging from one operator to the next.

I booked a flight from SFO to Auckland and needed to reschedule twice, and have paid the 250 + 50 +fare difference fee twice (yes, that's more than the price of the original ticket). When speaking with an agent while rescheduling the second time, they were not able to confirm my return flight, but assured me that I could call back when the flights times were confirmed. This agent promised I would not be charged the $250 change and service fees, but when I called to confirm my return flight, the agent would not reassign the ticket without charging me $50 of this fee. Beyond nickel and dining, they are simply robbing their their customers, and being quite direct and rude about it.

I will never fly this airline again, and I haven't even stepped foot on the plane yet. Their behavior is extremely unprofessional and their customer service is terrible.

10:34 pm

Air New Zealand - flight to christchurch

Hi there,

I was traveling to Christchurch on 10 June 2019 and scheduled at 17.30.
Booking reference HMFZAH.
We arrived in time to change our flight to an earlier one and was advised seats were available. We were happy to pay a fee for this.
We were then told we weren't able to do this without paying a full fare again. Seemed a very unhelpful bunch of staff given there were seats available, time to make the departure and we had a willingness to pay a fee (as we didn't book flexi).
I am very disappointed with the service, or lack thereof.
Below is a photo of the plane, which has still not departed.
Regards

David
[email protected]

B
11:12 pm

Air New Zealand - seats and broken luggage - reference # h3tmnh

I flew business from edmonton to Gold Coast. The fare between Auckland and Gold Coast was paid in full 8 months ago and was works deluxe. We checked in and had the appropriate seats in Edmonton. When boarding we were not able to. The ticket agent thought it was our passport. But they had downgraded our seats and tickets to works. We got 3 rows back and had to sit with someone. The flight was full and our original seats were given to someone else. I want to be refunded for the cost of those tickets for both of us. The flight attendant also wrote an email, taking pictures of our itinerary and the new boArding passes as she was also unhappy that happened. No one gave an answer as to why. For 8000.00 tickets it's unacceptable. I fly Air NZ often and always to Australia over air canada . So I found this to be surprising and that no one bothered to get back to us once the flight attendant also wrote an email.
We arrived on route back to Vancouver and I got my bag off the carousel and the wheel
Was totally broken. I couldn't roll it . This suitcase is brand new. So that's the second thing I would like to know what the recourse is to do.
Pictures below of original boarding pass for me( they kept Donald's in Auckland so I only hAve mine but we were ticketed and DOWNGRADED TOGETHER)
And pictures of the broken suitcase
Please respond